Bushings?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Bushings?

Postby Kody.B » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 pm

So I am looking at doing all my bushings when I do my coilovers as my car has 150k on it.
I will be getting an ALK but I want to do all of the suspension bushings as well as I'd definitely guess they're needed.
I tried looking at the website but there is a bunch of different options so I can't be sure exactly what I need.
What are all the bushes that will need replacing? I'll be using Whiteline gear.
Note I don't have swaybars yet.

Also, off topic for this thread, but any suggestions for gearbox mounts?
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
User avatar
Kody.B
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Real name: Kody
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Re: Bushings?

Postby cliffo3rb » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Maybe have a look at entra.com.au.
User avatar
cliffo3rb
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 9:07 am
Location: Central Coast,NSW
Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0rb
Real name: Cliffo

Re: Bushings?

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm

I'd check that they need replacement first and or target the specific areas where you'll experience the benefits and or increased nvh :-).
There's 3 per side on the front lca's, the engine & pitch stop mounts, the steering column & gearbox bushes, 8 or so per side on the rear susp, plus the diff bushes!
Then you can get rigi colas for the subframes :shock:
Then braces... :P

I'm doing the front lca rear bushes & RCA kit + h brace, the rear upper camber bushes, and have got the rear braces & rsb mounts in already. Should be overkill for a streeter...
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Bushings?

Postby Kody.B » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks Cliffo, I'll check it up.

Ben: Thanks for the info. Could be a bit more $$ than I expected but that doesn't worry me. I am not really doing it for performance (whatever I gain is a bonus) I just figure at 150k that the bushes would all need a replacement.
I'm getting an intermittent knock from the front and my mechanic has confirmed that front LCA's need replacing, so I'll start with those.
Bracing and stuff is major overkill for what I'll do, 99% sure the car won't ever see track work.

I was just curious as to what there was for maintenance, but with all of that I have a fair idea. I think diff bearings would still be okay at 150k km wouldn't they?

The gearbox mount is just trying to get rid of some of that pivoting when shifting, it's not a big worry but apparently it feels nicer with an STI bushing on it instead?

Thanks for the info :D
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
User avatar
Kody.B
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Real name: Kody
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Re: Bushings?

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Do more research I reckon :-)
I had some stock bushings removed from my spare rear upper arms: they look new!
I'd rather go some braces than every single bushing.
Diff bushings are rated by those that have done it.
Pitch stop is also rated for stabilising shifts.
I'm taking the middle path: STi pitch stop w/ cobb sts on stock bushings.
Susp bushings where required plus a little bracing...

Check out: bass_straightener, Rome STi, Stu, T renshaw: all went nuts on susp upgrades ;)
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop


Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

cron