Page 1 of 1

Springs and Shock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 am
by Subie Boy
Hi guys, I was thinking of lowering my Lib and given that it is a N/A version, I am not after performance,etc...I was more after good handling and ride control.

I do want to lower it 2 inches lower though and was thinking of going to MRT to get this done with their Whiteline Springs....any thoughts on this? I know that in previous discussions, there are things to look at such as shocks, etc.....do I need to get this as well?? I dont want anything too pricey as I am on a budget.....so let me know what y'all think!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 am
by WhiteGTB
I used to have King Srpings, got them through Wholesale Suspension in Penrith, they have two ride heights, the Low's and the Super Low's.

There are some pics floating around the forum is you want to see the ride height before and after, also Tom has King Springs fitted. He posted some pics a little while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 am
by Subie Boy
I had King Springs on my Lancer Evo (my last car) and wasn't quite fond of them....did you change your shocks with this as well and how much did it set you back?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:47 am
by bonski
Going to MRT for springs is akin to swatting a fly with a hammer.

Just go to a suspension shop.

Shouldnt pay more than $500 fitted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 am
by WhiteGTB
Subie Boy wrote:I had King Springs on my Lancer Evo (my last car) and wasn't quite fond of them....did you change your shocks with this as well and how much did it set you back?


Kept the original shocks... costed about $400 fitted, but then needed a wheel alignment again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:00 pm
by swingn
If you not going for performance, honestly just go King Springs or K-Mac stuff. They are good value for money. Also, I wouldn't bother changing the shocks, stockie's are fine, but just jeep in mind that if you lower them, you may potencially wear them out quicker. Especially on Sydney roads.

I went for the Bilsteins & Eibach set up, which granted did set me back a lot, but guys, they are the bomb!

I would've loved to go the whole hog & get the coil overs, but I'm not taking an auto stat wag to a race track.

With brakes, I went with the DBA 4000 slotted & a set of MRT OEM style pads. The difference was huuuuge! & they look hot as well. Although it may be a bit overkill if your not going to give you car the berries.

Cheers
Matty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:23 pm
by Subie Boy
What colour are the brake pads?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:16 pm
by Arith
I think as long as you stick to springs that lower the car 15mm - 25mm, you should be fine with stock shocks. Anything lower and you might see a premature end to the shocks.

If you're after value for money, I'd agree with swingn and go with King Springs (or Pedders as they use the same springs for both brands) or custom made K-Macs. I've done both King's and Pedders on my previous cars and they get the job done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:04 pm
by adam
i went with pedders on my 2L. not too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:25 am
by RX_MY02
This was the first mod i did. Iw ent to pedders and got them to lower it cost me ~500.

With stock wheels:
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=55&highlight=

With 18s:
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=1003&highlight=

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:55 pm
by overl0ad
hey subie boy,

do me a favour, measure the car height for me.

fromthe top of the center cap to the wheel arc.

front and rear please.

i forgot to measure mine b4 i dropped it..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:14 am
by XRC15T
Make sure they actually lower the car, problem is most people get springs and then they find it make negligible difference and then have to go custom to get the height they want. Also note your spring rates.

Don't just go for low, you need the right combination and rates to make the car handle, even if your not a track whore, you want good handling on the road.

Don't forget to get roll centre adjusters to make your suspension geometry right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:37 pm
by Subie Boy
overl0ad wrote:hey subie boy,

do me a favour, measure the car height for me.

fromthe top of the center cap to the wheel arc.

front and rear please.

i forgot to measure mine b4 i dropped it..


No worries, I will do this during the week for you. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am
by Subie Boy
overl0ad wrote:hey subie boy,

do me a favour, measure the car height for me.

fromthe top of the center cap to the wheel arc.

front and rear please.

i forgot to measure mine b4 i dropped it..


Hey mate, here are my measurements:

Rear:35mm
Front: 37.5mm

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:10 am
by overl0ad
cool, thanks.

seems that the guys in the US get higher ones... as in out of the box.