Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 am

Ok, i have just ordered a set of 18*8 Ultraleggara's and intend to buy some new (225/45 18) rubber to fit on them.
I am looking for a high performance street tyre, don't give a rats arse about tyre noise and cost is largely unimportant. They will not be used on the track and I would be happy if I got 30,000km out of them before the performance starts to drop off.

Researching a few options I come up with the following:

Bridgestone S001 and RE050A's
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Pirelli P Zero
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 and S drive.

Unfortunatly neither the Toyo R1R or the Hankook R-S3's are availabe in the size I am after.

Most of the tyres on the list I have used older versions of in the past (on road and/or on track) but tyre compound technology is changing so fast, what was shit hot a year ago is only so-so today and vehicle weight and suspension set up also play a big part. I don't think what works great on a heavy, r.w.d., R8 clubsport will necessarilly be the best choice on an a.w.d. liberty. Whilst I can play with the suspension setup, weight is pretty much fixed.

Appreciate some feedback from anyone who has run one or more of the above on a Liberty or any other alternatives people can suggest also considered.

Thanks everyone.
User avatar
GT-B Spec R Pilot
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: Canberra, A.C.T.
Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Re: Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Postby ferret89 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:31 pm

The super sport 3s are really good as are the P Zero Rossos, personally though I'd go for the RE002
User avatar
ferret89
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Re: Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Postby Adrian2627 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm

I've been running Maxxis iPro for a few sets now and they are actually really good. I've had them on both my old Liberty and our current Outback and have been getting 40 000kms out of them and changing with maybe 5000ks left. Living up in the mountains means they get a good workout and they have held up better than the OEM Yokos and Toyo Proxes 4s I've run before. I'm pretty anal about suspension/alignment settings and tyre pressures and most tyres still tend to go on the outside edges up here from the constant cornering but the Maxxis have worn much more evenly.
Adrian2627
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B
Real name: Adrian

Re: Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just out of curiousity Adrian, were you finding all 4 tyres wearing on the outside edges or just the front two? How much camber are you running?
User avatar
GT-B Spec R Pilot
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: Canberra, A.C.T.
Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Re: Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Postby bates91 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 pm

mmmm ultraleggera's .. :)

i read that far then got distracted by your gif image :wink:
User avatar
bates91
-stickered-
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: Sydney
Car: BMW 135i
Real name: Edward
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Re: Tyres for a new set of (18*8) rims.

Postby satogixxer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 pm

+1 to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I can only compare to the Bridgestone RE050A's however, but they certainly feel better in my opinion.

They are perhaps a little noisier when cornering hard (i.e. tyre squeal) but they grip very well and give good feedback on the limit (my feeling anyway - tyre feel is often very subjective from person to person).
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
User avatar
satogixxer
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: NSW, Western Sydney
Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Real name: Michael
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495


Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests