Page 1 of 1

tire recommendation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm
by Stomps
Hey.. I'm about to order some rims.. 18" either 8.5 or 9" wide

What do you guys recommend for a decent tire..

I've used zetums in the past and been happy enough with their grip for the price.. but want to step it up..

Currently the car has Pirelli p7's on it.. not too impressed to be honest..

I'm not talking R-comps or anything... but maybe something close..

Happy to spend about $300 per tire..

What do youse reckon... looking at either 225 or 235x40x18..

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 pm
by ferret89
Michelin Pilot Sport 3's or Bridgestone Potenza RE002 prob between the $250-320ish mark

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:44 pm
by Stomps
Anyone used Federal 595rsr's?? Seem like a very good price for what they are?? ($260ish)

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 am
by jslayz
Stomps wrote:Anyone used Federal 595rsr's?? Seem like a very good price for what they are?? ($260ish)


Road test them pleeease, I'm considering them next.... :lol:

Be the guinea pig go on, go on.

Loving my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2's

J

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 am
by alessandro132
For an 8.5-9" wide rim, I wouldn't be going anything less than a 235/40 tyre as 225 would have too much sidewall stretch.

No idea on price, but heard P Zeros are pretty decent. A good idea would be to chuck that tyre spec into Tirerack.com and check out the surveys/reviews for each tyre that you'd be interested in.

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 am
by Stomps
Yeah, ideally I will be after a 235... but I'll have to make.sure they fit..

I've run 225s on a 9" rim on my track car and the stretched wasn't too bad... but yeah, I'd prefer to avoid it on a daily..

Good point re: tire rack... completely forgot about that...

Ir read a lot of good review about the RSR's but my only issue might be the softer compound for daily use...

I do at least 25k each year so don't want to be going through a set each year..

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:40 am
by shav
what are the Achilles tyres like on these cars?

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:45 am
by Robbks
I've got Hankook Ventus V12 K110's (on Recommendation from Clarence) as replacements for teh RE050A's
very happy with them. cost me $190 a corner

i'd previously used the federal 595-EVO on my black legacy and they were good too

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:28 am
by Stomps
Yeah, heard the 595 evos are good too..

I want to move to something with bulk dry grip.. Only needs to be OK in wet.. Don't give 2 squirts of piss about road noise

Looks like tire rack don't sell Federals.. But having a look at other brands.. What's their shipping like??

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm
by Librt3.6
I replaced the originals on my 2011 Gen V 3.6lt with Pirelli P Zero (235/40R18). Huge amount of grip and excellent handling. Definitely a stiffer ride but not unreasonable.

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 pm
by shav
Librt3.6 wrote:I replaced the originals on my 2011 Gen V 3.6lt with Pirelli P Zero (235/40R18). Huge amount of grip and excellent handling. Definitely a stiffer ride but not unreasonable.

how much a corner? over $300?

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm
by Rome_BRZ
I love the Pirelli P Zero Rosso but they are a bit more expensive. I have the P Zero Nero on atm which are definitely cheaper but there is a noticeable difference and prefer the Rosso's for the performance!

I should add that I recently got quoted $900 including fitment for 4x Pirello P Zero Nero in 235/40/18 so although I prefer the Rosso this might be a good alternative for you at $225 a tyre essentially! Might help to get a quote for both, at that tyre size (common holden size) it might be under $300 per tyre for the Rosso

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 pm
by Librt3.6
Have also been quoted in the vicinity of $225 per corner to replace (Pirelli P Zero Nero).

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:41 am
by Tex 3.0R-B
I just put 2x 215x40r 18 pirelli p1 cinturato on my liberty around 280 each and very good. Low noise and good grip noticed the minute I turned out of the dealer. I have had federals in the past, good dry grip not so much in the wet but that was on a S13 turbo silvia.

Re: tire recommendation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 am
by Bond
I've just put a set of Falken PT722 235x35R19 on the wagon. They were $233 each shipped from ozzytyres plus fitting/balancing.