Page 1 of 1

Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:34 pm
by SSIKness666
I have a bike rack from Gripsport which bolts directly in through the square hitch of my towbar. I have a heavy duty towbar that allows up to 90kg on the towball and with the rack and 3 bikes on, the rear sags significantly. I would like to make a suspension upgrade on the rear to improve fuel efficiency and reduce the risk of bottoming out and so I contacted Pedders for a quote on stiffer springs. Their prices were as such:

$196 pair stiffer springs
$316 labor (this is the same for either springs or springs AND shocks install)
$530 springs, shocks, labor package

My purpose for this upgrade is not for performance or street appeal, but to be more practical with the transport of bikes as aforementioned.

Can anybody suggest alternative brands/solutions to my problem? I don't want the springs to be too stiff that they make the ride uncomfortable when not carrying the rack + bikes.

Thanks.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:32 pm
by Dropz
Pedders are a reputable brand and reasonably priced. Avoid king springs as they tend to sag badly after a while.

You may also like to contact Aurora springs, I know a couple of people who had custom Auroras made and are very happy with the outcome and pricing.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm
by SSIKness666
Dropz wrote:You may also like to contact Aurora springs, I know a couple of people who had custom Auroras made and are very happy with the outcome and pricing.


I contacted Industrial Springs in Hindmarsh SA who stock Aurora springs and unfortunately they don't do installation.

I ended up going to Pedders to get them to check the ride height of the rear compared to the front and my rear was already sagging significantly even without the bike rack attached. I feel confident about choosing Pedders, I just need to come up with the money now.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm
by sheppo9
LOL at Pedders being anything but thief's and peddlers of crap products.

What's your budget?

For just over $1k you can get coilovers so you can set the height and dampening to almost anything you want.
You CAN get coilovers to ride as comfy as springs and shocks - it just takes time.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 pm
by cruisn
STEER CLEAR OF PEDDERS!!!!

You'll go in there and they will tell you, you need all this other stuff as yoiur car is dangerous to drive.

Get Kido coilovers (same as BC's) for a tad over 1K.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 am
by Dropz
If you know what you need - springs and shocks, and just get them then you will be fine. If you ask them what you need then they will squeeze everything they can from you. Their products are good quality.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:03 am
by sheppo9
Dropz wrote:Their products are good quality.


Eh, not so much.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am
by Boostaddict
cruisn wrote:STEER CLEAR OF PEDDERS!!!!

You'll go in there and they will tell you, you need all this other stuff as yoiur car is dangerous to drive.

Get Kido coilovers (same as BC's) for a tad over 1K.



I have had this done to me !!!! They are trained to sell you shit at you don't need!!! They WILL tell you that your car is dangerous and you must spend all this money with them..... Bushes, sway bars anything!!!

I would seriously go to your mechanic that YOU trust and get them to do it..... Not pedders !! They will just rob you

Or just a set of coil overs from KIDO or BC and away you go!

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 pm
by SSIKness666
sheppo9 wrote:What's your budget?

For just over $1k you can get coilovers so you can set the height and dampening to almost anything you want.
You CAN get coilovers to ride as comfy as springs and shocks - it just takes time.


cruisn wrote:Get Kido coilovers (same as BC's) for a tad over 1K.


Boostaddict wrote:Or just a set of coil overs from KIDO or BC and away you go!


I do like the idea of coilovers however they will cost more than what I want to get (for practical use), I don't have the knowledge or probably the tools either to attempt at installing them myself, more than likely I'll then want to do more impractical mods that will cost more money than they're worth. Remember my car is N/A and a family car.

I appreciate the suggestion though. If I could get away with cheap labor, I think I'd gladly save up the extra cash.

Dropz wrote:If you know what you need - springs and shocks, and just get them then you will be fine. If you ask them what you need then they will squeeze everything they can from you. Their products are good quality.


I agree. I feel confident on what I need.

Boostaddict wrote:I would seriously go to your mechanic that YOU trust and get them to do it..... Not pedders !! They will just rob you

Or just a set of coil overs from KIDO or BC and away you go!


Unfortunately I don't have a local mechanic. The last place I took her to charged me over $1400 for a major 100,000km service, new front brake pads and for the rotors to be machined.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm
by Dropz
$1400 for front brakes and the major service is normal.

The 100,000km service sucks in the earlier models.

Cheap labour in Adelaide: me.

I gladly do cashies at home. Let me know what you're after and I can quote you up.

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:23 pm
by SSIKness666
Dropz wrote:$1400 for front brakes and the major service is normal.

The 100,000km service sucks in the earlier models.


Thanks, I don't feel so bad now. I told a few guys at work and they said I got ripped.

Dropz wrote:Cheap labour in Adelaide: me.

I gladly do cashies at home. Let me know what you're after and I can quote you up.


OK so hypothetically let's say I pick up some Kido or BC coilovers for $1k, how much would I be looking at for a labour cash job through you?