Page 1 of 1

Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:27 pm
by spinifex
Just asking for opinions / experiences of Pedders SportsRyder stuff, on a Gen3 wagon?

I've tried sourcing GTB/Bilstein stuff for my car, but not having much luck.... and anything from a 12yr old GTB has probably done a gazillion kms anyway, so I'm thinking brand new stuff.... at least it comes with an Australia-wide warranty

Car is currently lowered on Kings Lows - which are sagged a bit, so much too low..... I'd like the slightly lower stance, but if I have to go back to factory height, then so be it.

Need to sort this in a hurry, so after genuine experiences please, without the whole Pedders sales talk. I have a limited budget, and the car is a daily-driver on Brisbane's shit roads, with the occasional fang through the mountains, so I don't want anything bone-crunchingly harsh... just something nice and streetable.

I'm thinking either the standard Pedders S/Ryders, but the website seems to offer both a Sealed Strut versus a Gas Strut, in this option. Whats the go?

They also offer lowered springs, but there's no indication how much lower than stock, they are..... but I also know it's a bad idea to put lowered springs, onto shocks that aren't specifically designed for them?
Coilovers are not on the menu.

Can anyone offer some advice / opinions / experiences please? I'm not after ultra-uber-hyper performance..... just nice comfy streeter, possibly a bit lower

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 pm
by AB501UT!0N
Hi Dave,

Before I got my BC coilovers I had standard slightly lowered sports ryder struts and they were comfy and made the car alittle lower
but for handling wise its hard to say now that I have coilovers and the struts are in a box in my garage i think :)

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 am
by spinifex
Cheers Chris,

So for general street use, you were happy with them? Even the lowered ones? No crashing or kidney-belts required, when driving over crap roads?

Any idea what the difference between the "sealed strut" versus "gas strut" may mean? Pedders haven't replied to my email yet

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:37 am
by Robbks
Mate, forget the Pedders struts.
I'd go with KYB's and the Pedders Springs

I had pedders HD springs both standard height and lowered in my GT Fozz and i was very pleased with the springs.
I has Pedders Comfort gas shocks but they were a little too soft for the spring and you would get a little spring "bounce"

I suspect the "sealed strut" refers to the comfort gas shock (black) and the sports ryda is the other option.
Have not used the sports ryda struts so i can't comment directly on them

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:34 am
by spinifex
Thanks Robb,

Will keep that in consideration. Have potentially located some GTB Billies (from my model) so hopefully they are decent enough condition that I can bang them straight in, with no mods. About 1/5 the price of going new stuff.

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 am
by Robbks
the billies can be re-built too
Heasmans Suspension in Sydney should be able to hook you up if needed

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 am
by spinifex
Anyone recommend somewhere in Brisbane I can buy Billies brand new ? Any "drop a name" discounts available?

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 pm
by Robbks
you'll be paying through the nose for new billies

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:20 pm
by spinifex
Yeh.... just got off fone with fulcrum..... $1800, with new king springs !! but there's none in the country, and no ETA when the next shipment will arrive !

Pass on brand newies......

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:43 pm
by Robbks
forger spending $1500 on shocks and then ruining them with sh!t king springs.

i'd just by some gen3 billies from import monster complete
then if you think they need it in a couple of years, get them rebuilt

Re: Pedders SportsRyders on Gen3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm
by AB501UT!0N
spinifex wrote:Cheers Chris,

So for general street use, you were happy with them? Even the lowered ones? No crashing or kidney-belts required, when driving over crap roads?

Any idea what the difference between the "sealed strut" versus "gas strut" may mean? Pedders haven't replied to my email yet


Sorry for the delay mate, I found out that I only got the rears done and the ride was not hard at all was comfy :)

And I would also suggest gen3 billies from ebay or from Subyclub too if you want handling but they are not going to lower the height at all,

if you want to lower it and get better handling then coilovers for 1200-1300 brand new aka BC's or Kido or get the pedders ones for like 650-800 all round brand new.

My rears cost like 380 brand new and fitted and I used them for like 1 month and now they are in a box waiting lol




Robbks wrote:forger spending $1500 on shocks and then ruining them with sh!t king springs.

i'd just by some gen3 billies from import monster complete
then if you think they need it in a couple of years, get them rebuilt