Page 1 of 1

Which would handle better: 245/40/18 or 245/45/17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:08 pm
by rooby
Looking at getting new rims n tyres.

I want 245 tyres, probably on 8.5 rims (I will consider 8 also).

Was planning 245/40/18s but was thinking I would consider 17s and 245/45/17 if it might handle better (plus bonus comfort).

I was thinking the 18s would be better but someone else probably knows better than I.

Re: Which would handle better: 245/40/18 or 245/45/17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 pm
by blacktop™
interesting question.

PM tony (smythie) because he downsized 18's to 17's on his 3.0R-B for the same reasons as you, and the bonus was he was also able to get better tyres for a cheaper price cos they were 17's rather than 18's.

EDIT: i also consider him a very smart person lol

Re: Which would handle better: 245/40/18 or 245/45/17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:12 pm
by rooby
Cheers.

I'm on 19s at the moment and while they look great I'm coming to the conclusion that my life contains too many potholes and I want some more sidewall.

So even 18s will be an improvement.

I think my shallowness might win over the thought of 17s though as 18 look prettier.