Grinding sounds when braking.... WTF HELP!

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Grinding sounds when braking.... WTF HELP!

Postby suff » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:11 pm

HI Guys

Ok.. here's the story.. Finally picked up my MY05 Wagon from the freight train yesterday, took it for a test spin, other than having over 1l of extra oil in the engine (typical Subaru Service!) all seemed well drove nicely, brakes functioned perfectly (well, as good as can be expected from a GenIV GT with stock brakes!)

Car was dirty, so I thought, what the heck, down to car lovers for a quick wash, used some rim cleaner on the rims (and I would imagine that a bit would have sprayed onto the rotors) and then cleaned the car thoroughly, I had not been driving hard before cleaning the car, so the brakes where not overly hot, so no I didnt quench hot steel with cold water :)

anyway, car clean, drive off home.. didnt notice anything untoward.. later that day go out for another drive, and notice that there is a really bad grinding sound when applying the brakes (hard to tell from which axle/wheel) not always present, but common enough (40-50% of the time) and we are not talking a little grind, we are talking no pads left grinding onto the calipers sound!

So somewhat annoyed, take the car back, later that night, go out for another quick spin.. same problem..

So this morning, up on the jacks.. checked out both from wheels, pulled the calipers off and to my suprise, these pads are almost new.. I would be suprised if they have done 10,000km, so give everything a good clean with brake cleaner and re-assemble.. then the same in the ass end.. same story, brake pads are fine, one had not worn evenly, so I have replaced all of the back pads a matter of course with Bendix 4WD..

But I will have this grinding noise.. so its not :

- Lack of Brake Fluid, res. is at the correct level
- Knackered brake pads, fronts are near new (look like Bendix Metal Kings.. high level of metal in the pads) Rears are brand spankers
- No sign of any leaks in the calipers them selves, and all boots are sealed
- calipers all spring back and have full motion
- all rotors are well within tolerance, and show no sign of groves or scaring

My only though is that maybe the chemicals in the wheel cleaner (non acid) have some how reacted with the hot rotors and caused a glaze on them? the front rotors are particularily "shiny" as are the pads, I did rough one of them up with a brillo pad, and I must admit, it does seem to be quiter since.

I have had glazed rotors before (EBC Greens + RDA Slotted.. bad combo!) and they just squeeled.. never this..

I am open to ideas, as this is scarey and I have never heard of anything like this! The car still pulls up fine, even under heavy braking, but murphy says the one time it doesnt, is the one time I will really need them!

Thanks in advance!
Daily : BMW E90 335i Sedan
Chasing 320RWHP ... FOUND (341RWHP) + Semi Slicks
Coming - APR FMIC, APR DP & Quaiffe Diff (finally)
suff

Car: E90 335i sedan

Postby WhiteGTB » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:42 am

I had a grining noise recently, but probably not as bad as what you are mentioning.

Changed the pads and the grinding was gone, possibly brake alignment if there is such a reason?

Or maybe that metal plate that sits between the caliper and pad might be out of place?

Just my thoughts......
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.