Page 1 of 2

18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm
by -=HaZ=-
Hi,

Has anyone attempted to fit an 18 x 9.75's on the Liberty GT MY06? I can't vouch for the quality of the XXR rims as I haven't heard of these before, but they seem to do very deep concave rims which I like. Has anyone looked into trying to shoe horn those under a Liberty? I am expecting I would have to run a heap of negative, in the rear, with camber top plates all round.

I will be buying Ohlins suspension with camber tops all round etc, but would like to know if anyone has actually tried this in Australia? Seems a few of our USA counter parts have done this on older Legacy 02 wagons.....but I am sure the laws are more lax over there.

Is this sort of setup even usable day in day out? What has your experience been with this sort of rim and suspension setup?

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 pm
by bates91
noone in aus has done it, even the US boys very few have gone that far
its not really a sensible size and our libertys arent really made for it. would suck balls as a daily setup
do some reading on here theres quite a few threads on large size wheels as the craze at the moment seems to be dish and or those xxr wheels (not aimed at you, just a general comment :D )

youre on the right track with the ohlins cant do much better than that :)

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 pm
by kiko.man
I don't know much about XXR wheels either but the concave'ness on their wheels are great! But I would only run their wheels if I was going hellaflush.

I'm running 18x9.5+38 with -2.5 camber all around and about a couple inches off the ground, that's my daily setup and I have no problems getting around.. I just have to take it slow here and keep and eye out for RBT's :/

18x9.75 Done Right -
Image

18x9.75 Done Wrong -
Image

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:51 am
by -=HaZ=-
This guy has fitted 10 inche wide rims under his Legacy wagon!!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 050a4&

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 pm
by rooby
I think these people need to consult a dictionary and learn what the word flush means.

I can assure you it doesn't mean sticking out from the body on an angle.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 pm
by -=HaZ=-
kiko.man wrote:I don't know much about XXR wheels either but the concave'ness on their wheels are great! But I would only run their wheels if I was going hellaflush.

I'm running 18x9.5+38 with -2.5 camber all around and about a couple inches off the ground, that's my daily setup and I have no problems getting around.. I just have to take it slow here and keep and eye out for RBT's :/

18x9.75 Done Right -
Image

18x9.75 Done Wrong -
Image


What size tyres did you go with? 235/245 and why?

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 pm
by -=HaZ=-
This is what a set of 18 x 8.75's look like.

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/subaru/b4/leg ... 152715767/

I wouldn't say it was done right, perhaps it needs to be lower with more negative? Perhaps the rim isn't wide enough?? I would consider getting the 8.75s but I think I would lose allot of the look that comes with the much wider 9.75s.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:34 pm
by -=HaZ=-
Well I have done some reading and it seems that going with a 9.75 opens my car up to a host of defects. I found a thread on another forum where a nice silver Legacy GT example had some 18 x 8.75s fitted and they look very nice.

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/subaru/b4/leg ... 152715767/

I am going to order a set in matte black; 18 x 8.75 with a +35 offset.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm
by rooby
-=HaZ=- wrote:Well I have done some reading and it seems that going with a 9.75 opens my car up to a host of defects. I found a thread on another forum where a nice silver Legacy GT example had some 18 x 8.75s fitted and they look very nice.

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/subaru/b4/leg ... 152715767/

I am going to order a set in matte black; 18 x 8.75 with a +35 offset.

If you care about defects 18 x 8.75 +35 is still defectable. But would get less attention than 9.75.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 pm
by -=HaZ=-
rooby wrote:
-=HaZ=- wrote:Well I have done some reading and it seems that going with a 9.75 opens my car up to a host of defects. I found a thread on another forum where a nice silver Legacy GT example had some 18 x 8.75s fitted and they look very nice.

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/subaru/b4/leg ... 152715767/

I am going to order a set in matte black; 18 x 8.75 with a +35 offset.

If you care about defects 18 x 8.75 +35 is still defectable. But would get less attention than 9.75.


From what I can tell of the 8.75s much less so; I think they would really have to know what the stock rim is on the STi; which I think is 7.5....and from what I think I know going over an inch wider is legal.....so another quarter of an inch....well they would really have to be nit picking. Jump in anyone here if I have it wrong.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 pm
by rooby
-=HaZ=- wrote:
rooby wrote:
-=HaZ=- wrote:Well I have done some reading and it seems that going with a 9.75 opens my car up to a host of defects. I found a thread on another forum where a nice silver Legacy GT example had some 18 x 8.75s fitted and they look very nice.

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/subaru/b4/leg ... 152715767/

I am going to order a set in matte black; 18 x 8.75 with a +35 offset.

If you care about defects 18 x 8.75 +35 is still defectable. But would get less attention than 9.75.


From what I can tell of the 8.75s much less so; I think they would really have to know what the stock rim is on the STi; which I think is 7.5....and from what I think I know going over an inch wider is legal.....so another quarter of an inch....well they would really have to be nit picking. Jump in anyone here if I have it wrong.


Yeah, unless they were out to get you they probably wouldn't get you for that.
The offset is also slightly illegal (not allowed more than 25mm increase in track = 12.5mm less offset each side). Again it is only minor and I would be surprised if you got done for it unless you were doing something stupid.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am
by kiko.man
-=HaZ=- wrote:What size tyres did you go with? 235/245 and why?

I went with 225/40/18 and that was so i could tuck it in under the guards with minimal rubbing, although i still had to roll and pump all corners. but i've seen 235 done easily by the boys in the states.

In regards to defects in NSW, I was told that if the wheels poke out of the guards by a few mm it's already considered a defect?

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 pm
by -=HaZ=-
Can anyone recommend a vendor to source these rims from? I am currently speaking to http://www.jdmwheelimports.com.au; they say there is at least a 12 week wait on these from XXR as XXR are having allot of trouble with keeping up with demand.

If anyone has an alternative source or can supply these rims, themselves please let me know, otherwise I will order them this week from http://www.jdmwheelimports.com.au.

I am going to order a set of Toyo Proxes R1R 225 40 18s with these, so again if anyone knows a supplier let me know.

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm
by libz05
-=HaZ=- wrote:Can anyone recommend a vendor to source these rims from? I am currently speaking to http://www.jdmwheelimports.com.au; they say there is at least a 12 week wait on these from XXR as XXR are having allot of trouble with keeping up with demand.

If anyone has an alternative source or can supply these rims, themselves please let me know, otherwise I will order them this week from http://www.jdmwheelimports.com.au.

I am going to order a set of Toyo Proxes R1R 225 40 18s with these, so again if anyone knows a supplier let me know.



hey mate!!!!
a guy on this forum (Brenton) purchased a set over in the U.S for $860 delivered to sydney australia
cheap as chips
back like amonth ago it was a 5 - 7 week wait now it should be under a month wait

Re: 18 x 9.75's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm
by libz05
e-mail josh at josh@lsdmotorsports.com he should be able to help you out!