Page 1 of 1

Broken something in driveline - front right. HELP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:47 pm
by GTLib07
Hi all, Brandon here, new to the forum, one of my mates told me there's a lot of useful technical information here so I joined up, I have a 07 Liberty GT, bought it from interstate less than two months ago and it has almost 155 000 kms on the clock.

Anyway terrible luck tonight, was running late for a function, took a wrong turnoff, so went to do a U turn, the car was in a stationary position and in full lock to the right, released the clutch to take off and bang...a very heart sinking noise. Obviously something snapped. Drove about ten metres to pull over and in that time there was a lot of clunking and lack of power thought I snapped a driveshaft...

So off came the front drivers wheel to check out what was going on. Don't know how to explain it properly. It's not the driveshaft that snapped, it's the rear part of the hub which holds the driveshaft or CV joint?? Pictures explain it better...

Image

Image

Image

^This is what I found on the road. The broken metal part, and a 10mm diametre ball bearing.

Is this a common problem or happened to anyone? Maybe it was mistreated by the previous owner..?
What exactly do I call this thing that broke? What do I need replaced?
I don't have the time or facilities to do the repairs myself as I just recently moved so what sort of $$$ to fix? Parts+labour
I got it towed back home for free, but it's going to cost at least $110 me to tow it to my mechanic, is it possible for the car to somehow be driven 6.5kms? I was thinking maybe remove the driveshaft to stop the clunking around and drive slowly, is that possible?
Please excuse my lack of knowledge..
Thanks!

Re: Broken something in driveline - front right. HELP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 pm
by Kekotic
Thats like a wheel bearing or something?

Re: Broken something in driveline - front right. HELP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 pm
by bass_straitener
Judging by the grease it's your CV Joint.

This link shows the part you found on the road. It looks like the holder for the joint.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 08975.html

Might be quicker and cheaper getting a reco driveshaft, but ring around and see whats the go.

Re: Broken something in driveline - front right. HELP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:22 am
by GTLib07
Ahh looking at those photos it's hopefully just a CV joint, I was expecting much worse. Very hard to identify when there's grease everywhere and I'm trying to keep it off my clothes!
With a bit of research it doesn't seem too common for them to smash like that? :?

If I had the spare time and tool I'd do the job myself, I've seen a few DIYs on it...but no time or tools. Will I need to get a tow truck to get me to my mechanic, around 6.5kms away?

Re: Broken something in driveline - front right. HELP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:47 pm
by bigBADbenny
I commiserate!
I'm very gentle when on lock, but regardless have a tear in one of the drive shaft boots.
If it lasts another month or so I'll attempt to fix it myself when I do my suspension and brake upgrades.
Subaru Docklands quoted around $300 for a reco driveshaft, fitted.