Page 1 of 1

Anyone in Sydney keen to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 pm
by gloryboy
Hey guys.

Looking at upgrading a couple things- suspension and swaybars (on advice from members).

I'm looking at getting some work done when I get back from Japan in mid July.

Anyone around Sydney keen on helping me out? I've seen a few people say it can be done without having to take it to a shop. I'll even swing a few bucks/support the beer economy for your time.

Even if someone can point me in the right direction of who to see would be great.

Cheers.

Re: Anyone in Sydney keen to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 pm
by bates91
would offer to help but im away skiing for two months july/august

Easy to do yourself - all you need is a rattle gun, spanner and/or ratchet set, jack + jackstands and youre set.
or take the stuff to the phatman he'll probably do it before you can blink :D

Re: Anyone in Sydney keen to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm
by blkdog
Suspension is probably one of the easier mods to DIY. You just need a little bit of common sense and some good tools.

I just upgraded to Bilsteins & Phat S-Techs last weekend...and my last four cars i also did my self (Holden, Ford, & BMW, etc)
Front = 2 - 4 hrs. Watch out for seized nuts and bolts, you are best off getting some second-hand replacements for a around $2.50 per unit from a Subaru wreckers before you start. (i had to cut/drill mine off as they were never ever ever going to come off without damage to the nut - even with a 1.8m breaker bar)
Rear = 1.5 hrs (including trim removal)

There's some walkthroughs somewhere on here or deep within the online matrix.

Basically if you can change a flat tyre with no hassles, you're half way there. :) *Most important: Make sure someone/anyone/even a dog (called Lassie that can run for help if anything goes wrong) is there with you while you are working*
(i will try and post a walkthrough up soon, with pics!!)


Good Luck!

Re: Anyone in Sydney keen to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:44 pm
by gloryboy
bates91 wrote:would offer to help but im away skiing for two months july/august

Easy to do yourself - all you need is a rattle gun, spanner and/or ratchet set, jack + jackstands and youre set.
or take the stuff to the phatman he'll probably do it before you can blink :D


Cheers for your reply mate. Lucky bastard going away for 2 months skiing haha...

I'm not confident at all to even try this as I have a reverse Midas touch most of the time :)
I've emailed Phat a few emails that's provided in the other thread but he hasn't replied to any of them....

I may just have to wait til September ;) haha

Re: Anyone in Sydney keen to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm
by gloryboy
blkdog wrote:Suspension is probably one of the easier mods to DIY. You just need a little bit of common sense and some good tools.

I just upgraded to Bilsteins & Phat S-Techs last weekend...and my last four cars i also did my self (Holden, Ford, & BMW, etc)
Front = 2 - 4 hrs. Watch out for seized nuts and bolts, you are best off getting some second-hand replacements for a around $2.50 per unit from a Subaru wreckers before you start. (i had to cut/drill mine off as they were never ever ever going to come off without damage to the nut - even with a 1.8m breaker bar)
Rear = 1.5 hrs (including trim removal)

There's some walkthroughs somewhere on here or deep within the online matrix.

Basically if you can change a flat tyre with no hassles, you're half way there. :) *Most important: Make sure someone/anyone/even a dog (called Lassie that can run for help if anything goes wrong) is there with you while you are working*


(i will try and post a walkthrough up soon, with pics!!)


Good Luck!


Thanks for replying man! And cheers for the adice on sourcing new bolts, can't believe yours wouldn't budge haha.
If you could post the walk through/pics you mentioned that'd be awesome man! I'll still probably have to keep outsourcing for help but. I really do have a tendency to break things :) haha

Re: Anyone in Sydney keen to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:31 pm
by rooby
bates91 wrote:Easy to do yourself - all you need is a rattle gun, spanner and/or ratchet set, jack + jackstands and youre set.
or take the stuff to the phatman he'll probably do it before you can blink :D

You should be able to manage without the rattle gun.

gloryboy wrote:
Thanks for replying man! And cheers for the adice on sourcing new bolts, can't believe yours wouldn't budge haha.
If you could post the walk through/pics you mentioned that'd be awesome man! I'll still probably have to keep outsourcing for help but. I really do have a tendency to break things :) haha

I had a bolt snap when I was doing my rear sway so it is a good idea to have spares ready (or better yet just replace all with new, decent quality stuff).