Page 1 of 1
Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Sun May 13, 2012 9:35 pm
by Graf
For owners of Gen V's with suspension work...
I'm interested as to how you find the handling of your GT after the work was carried out, particularly in comparison to a current model WRX/STi?
I was within days of signing the dotted line for a new GT and then decided to jump into an STi for a test drive, which has unfortunately put a bit of doubt in my mind. I love the size and comparative luxury of the Liberty but the handling was chalk and cheese. I obviously can't test drive a GT that has had suspension work carried out (it seems Subaru don't supply those for testing!) so I was hoping someone here has experienced both.
Any opinions would be appreciated. Cheers guys!
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 am
by HyRax
The WRX STi will always be the better handling car no matter what you do to the Liberty. The Liberty will get damn close in handling, but its longer wheelbase, different centre diff, different rear suspension and slightly heavier weight will always knock it down a notch in the handling department.
Remember the WRX STi is a racers Subaru. The Liberty is the luxury Subaru.
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 am
by Nottage969
I've driven my brothers 2003 WRX STI and thought the handling was pitiful. In comparison to MY lib even (Stock 03 RX), the steering felt heavy, the rear end swayed around corners and it generally felt like i was just "rolling" around all the corners. I barely even drove it hard. Either the STI's have come a long way in the last few years, or his shocks/springs are fucked (i'd suggest probably the latter).
In comparison though, i am yet to drive a GT Lib, so I have little to compare it to. But i can guess they would not be that bad even sock.
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 3:46 pm
by Graf
Yeah I figured that a modded GT wouldn't match an STi but it's good to know it's at least vaguely comparable. I think it's a reasonable compromise, I might appreciate the racing personality of the STi on the occasional track day but I'll appreciate the comfort of the Liberty EVERY day.
Thanks for the replies guys!
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 5:49 pm
by Nottage969
Graf wrote:...I'll appreciate the comfort of the Liberty EVERY day.
Not to mention the pure CLASS of them and not driving around in a plastic WRX like every other man and his dog

Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm
by SYM
Graf,
I'm getting STI springs (will lower by 15mm), and J's LCA bushes installed this weekend..... by none other than mr. phat himself.
Will let you know initial thoughs after a drive this weekend (and after getting wheel alignment done)
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 pm
by Victripper
SYM,
What sort of price are you looking at?
I would like to do the same but will hold off for now as my car is only 6 weeks old and the trip to QLD at the end of the year via the Newell Hwy I guess may not work to well since it is a bit dodgy in places with all the truck tyre ruts etc
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 pm
by SYM
victripper - PM sent
Re: Gen V handling after suspension upgrades?

Posted:
Sat May 19, 2012 8:56 pm
by SYM
Spent the afternoon today at Phats, watching him at work - installed STI pink springs, and LCA bushes
Havent really given it good ride yet, but first impressions:
*Car rides flatter, esp when cornering - looking back, there is definitely less body roll >> springs
*Feel more of the road (potholes, bumps, rocks, etc) through steering wheel >> bushes
*STI pink springs firmer than stock, but not too firm to be uncomfortable
Thanks again to Phat for the install.... and was good to meet Leo, Michael, Shane, and Rob in the flesh
The front of phats place was just I imagined from the pictures = lotsa Libs + #1 Focus RS
____________
45 mins later.....
Just came back from an enthusiastic spin around to parramatta, and back via silverwater road... noticed the road noise a bit more, but WOW.... the handling and cornering is WAY MUCH better (as someone else describes, it feels very much "point and shoot")
I can say I am very happy with the results!