Page 1 of 2

What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set-Up?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 am
by Corsair
Can anyone recommend good brake pads for a stock non-Brembo set-up? I have always used OEM pads and am now wondering what options are available and which would be best (Dixcel, Project Mu, Brembo, EBC Green stuff, ds2500 et al).

What advantages are there to different types (less brake dust or better stopping power for example)? Are Bendix basically the same as OEM? How much would I be looking at for different brands?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 am
by 3rspecb
Have u upgraded to gt/3r OE calipers or using the stock 2.5i system?

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:09 am
by SegR
I'm a fan of the Dixcel Type M's from Phat. Good balance of road performance (fine from cold) and handle a little aggression, quiet, very low dust compared to OEM pads. I have them paired with Dixcel SD rotors. I'm not sure if they be a little hungry on stock rotors but that could hold true for most aftermarket pads.

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:21 pm
by Corsair
3rspecb wrote:Have u upgraded to gt/3r OE calipers or using the stock 2.5i system?

Naw, all stock I'm afraid. :( Would aftermarket pads still help with the stock set-up?

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:24 pm
by Corsair
SegR wrote:I'm a fan of the Dixcel Type M's from Phat. Good balance of road performance (fine from cold) and handle a little aggression, quiet, very low dust compared to OEM pads. I have them paired with Dixcel SD rotors. I'm not sure if they be a little hungry on stock rotors but that could hold true for most aftermarket pads.


Thanks for the advice Seg...I'll do some research on them this weekend. Getting the car serviced on Tuesday and will thus have the option to upgrade.

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 am
by Da4sti3
I'm interested to know what u ended up with coz I'm looking into brake upgrade right now
I want to know if aftermarket brake pads are gonna give better performance over new OEM

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:50 am
by SH30RB
Da4sti3 wrote:I'm interested to know what u ended up with coz I'm looking into brake upgrade right now
I want to know if aftermarket brake pads are gonna give better performance over new OEM

yes, they will. you dont need to go crazy and get top of the range. low to mid range, matching with something like DBA street series braided brake lines will do the job just fine for normal everyday driving

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:05 am
by Da4sti3
What are the benefits of upgrading just the brake lines I never really understood the reasoning besides being a better quality product ?

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 am
by SH30RB
Da4sti3 wrote:What are the benefits of upgrading just the brake lines I never really understood the reasoning besides being a better quality product ?

i havent got mine on yet, but from what i've read (and the reason i made the purchase) it gives a firmer brake pedal feel and removes that sponge-ness compared to the stock rubber lines

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 am
by rooby
I know it an old post but in regards to the first post, if I were to get ebc it would be red stuff not green stuff.

I've had them before and could see no negatives and good performance.

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:06 am
by cruisn
Hawk Performance Ceramic.

Im about to buy 2 sets from the US, make it 3 and shipping will be about $15, less than $200 landed for a full set for your car.

I had these in my Legacy GT previously. Did track and driving days on them with no fade and less brake dust than I get in a normal driving week with the Lucas TRW's I have currently.

Zero noise, ultra low dust and dont need to be warmed up. :good:

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:08 am
by cruisn
Da4sti3 wrote:What are the benefits of upgrading just the brake lines I never really understood the reasoning besides being a better quality product ?


You get no a lot more pedal firmness as the oem rubber lines expanded under hard braking.

I have one spare set of Goodridge ones, brand new......

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 am
by Da4sti3
cruisn wrote:
Da4sti3 wrote:What are the benefits of upgrading just the brake lines I never really understood the reasoning besides being a better quality product ?


You get no a lot more pedal firmness as the oem rubber lines expanded under hard braking.

I have one spare set of Goodridge ones, brand new......


How much ?

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:01 pm
by cruisn
Da4sti3 wrote:
cruisn wrote:
Da4sti3 wrote:What are the benefits of upgrading just the brake lines I never really understood the reasoning besides being a better quality product ?


You get no a lot more pedal firmness as the oem rubber lines expanded under hard braking.

I have one spare set of Goodridge ones, brand new......


How much ?


$200 posted.

Re: What Brake Pads Would You Recommend for a Non Brembo Set

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 am
by owen
cruisn wrote:Hawk Performance Ceramic.

Im about to buy 2 sets from the US, make it 3 and shipping will be about $15, less than $200 landed for a full set for your car.

I had these in my Legacy GT previously. Did track and driving days on them with no fade and less brake dust than I get in a normal driving week with the Lucas TRW's I have currently.

Zero noise, ultra low dust and dont need to be warmed up. :good:


+1
I'm running these I think. And some really noisy hawk black for track