Difference between "King Springs" and "Tein" springs

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Postby MY-25-GT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Going to lower my car about 30 to 35mm and looking at the king springs or tein springs wanted to know apart from one being made in Japan and the other in Australia whats some other differences to help me??
Modifications: STI rear spoiler - STI front lip - STI front strut brace - 19inch HSP lexani wheels - SPT air intake - HKS dump pipe - Redback cat back exhuast system - Custom carbon fiber front grill
Future plans: Tech S Tein springs - tint rear lights - HID fog lights and parkers - Boost Guage - Rear Diffuser
MY-25-GT
formerly auz1234

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Re: Difference between "King Springs" and "Tein" springs

Postby moggy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Tein are better quality + better resale value if you sell your car... :wink:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Postby garbo41610 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

MY-25-GT wrote:Going to lower my car about 30 to 35mm and looking at the king springs or tein springs wanted to know apart from one being made in Japan and the other in Australia whats some other differences to help me??

It's the difference between, say, a Commodore (King Springs) and, oh I don't know, a Liberty :lol:
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby t.renshaw34 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Teins will ride alot better, feel better on the road.
I'm running tein s techs. Comparing s techs to my friends pedders. Pedders are on par or maybe slightly better than kings.
Teins are far better than my friends pedders.

Spring rates would be different too.

You get what you pay for :).
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby JKeep2.5i » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 pm

yeah but more to the point why are they better?? is it what they're made from, how they are made, the spring rate, height of spring? or is t just because they are a jap brand, being someone who is very new to modding my car I dont know alot, there has to be a reason to why teins are better than kings? not just they are because I said so :P
MY04 Liberty 2.5i wagon 5MT[Team White]P plates
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Car: MY04 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14989

Postby bert_ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 pm

I think it has to do with every thing you've listed...

Quality/type of the material they've used to produce the spring, the Development and engineering that has gone into it, the spring rates, ride height.. And possibly cause their green and not red LOL

Buy my lovells! Sell them to you cheap.. Promise.
Last edited by bert_ on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bert_

Car: 04' WRX STi

Postby Deluded » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

JKeep2.5i wrote:yeah but more to the point why are they better?? is it what they're made from, how they are made, the spring rate, height of spring? or is t just because they are a jap brand, being someone who is very new to modding my car I dont know alot, there has to be a reason to why teins are better than kings? not just they are because I said so :P

Jap product designed for a Jap car .... with sufficient testing ....
MY08 GT Spec B Steel Silver
MY07 GT Tb STI OBP 287/300 formerly known as NY00MI
----------------------------------
Deluded
formerly D_Liberty

Car: MY07 TBSTI Sedan

Postby moggy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 pm

JKeep2.5i wrote:yeah but more to the point why are they better?? is it what they're made from, how they are made, the spring rate, height of spring? or is t just because they are a jap brand, being someone who is very new to modding my car I dont know alot, there has to be a reason to why teins are better than kings? not just they are because I said so :P

All of the above.....as in most things you get what you pay for especially with car bits. :wink:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Postby coyote » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:43 pm

I suspect at least 2 of the best 5 handling Liberties on this forum have Kings springs.

Mind you, if you lower a Spec B 35mm it will be shit ... regardless of what you use.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby kiks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Ok im just going to call you ALL out right now as being full of shit. Cept coyote that boy is on the money$$.

Better R&D? Jap designed for a jap car?

The Japanese are terrible at this shit, and their roads compared to ours are completely different environments. For the 1% of the time the tiens might be better than something else, the rest of the time they ride like shit.

Now, springs being made better? Please.
Perform better? It performs as a function of its coil width by number and a diametrical coefficient.
Resale? Who would want used springs from some flogged out middle class liberty shitter?

Now, if you want repeatable time after time exact made springs to an advertised spec, Eibach are very good at this. There is a reason you look at a new lambo or pagani etc and find Eibach as the supplier for Ohlins. Motion, JSW and penske all recommend Eibach. Yet still I would not be convinced theyre worth the coin if King can supply the rate and height you want, then they are the best spring. If they can not, they are useless.

That said. I can get eibach and swift cheaper than I can King. If I could get King for the price, I'll stick my hand up for being arguably the best (or in the running) steering liberty around here and it would be on kings springs.

And lets be frank, the difference between any of these is lost in a tyre being a few degrees hotter on one side. Gen4 wagon on factory springs with me at 84kg at the time and full of fuel corner weighted at something like a 7% favour to front right. You cant talk spring quality when the factory gets it so wrong anyway.

Anyway Im rambling. Get what you think you'll be happy with looks wise.
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Postby cruisn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:45 pm

I like your posts.

I learn alot or confirm what i already know.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby kiks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:00 pm

im drunk and kings springs are yellow. I like yellow.
kiks

Postby Kekotic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 pm

kiks wrote:im drunk and kings springs are yellow. I like yellow.

I like you a lot
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby 04GTLIB » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:12 pm

kiks wrote:im drunk and kings springs are yellow. I like yellow.

:mrgreen:
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby kiks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:23 pm

moggy wrote:

All of the above.....as in most things you get what you pay for especially with car bits. :wink:

8) Bob.

Very true words for very specific occasions.

Shock absorbers? Yes. Springs no.
Tyres? Yes. Wheels no.
Etc. List goes on.

I cant see the value in super duper springs. I can see the value in super duper shocks controlling them though. V8 supercar? Kings springs worth $100 each. Maybe 3-4kg or whatever rates. Ten grand per corner in ohlins/sachs/penske/etc magical fairy unicorn pixie dust shocks though as they're the important bit :p
kiks

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.