tyre choice

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

tyre choice

Postby LIBER8ED » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:51 pm

hey trendsetters, im about to put a new set of tyres on my car, still with the stock mags, and am seeking suggestions as to what my choice of rubber should be..

i do more distance driving than anything, but dont mind the occasional speedy mountain decent :wink: so i guess i want something that is going to give me a fairly lenghty life...

ive earned bout 56k on the ones on there now, and they are just starting to ware bald on the instep of the wheel...

cheers

kurt
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

Image[ImageImageImageImage
LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT

Postby MIB » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Hey Kurt, I have a great idea, chat to 00B40 (Nic) and get his set of 18 inch spec B rims he was selling then put some 18's on them, will make the 2.5 look the goods :wink:

Can't say the RE050's will get that kind of mileage but I have found them pretty good for mountain passes... I had Falkens on the XT and was very happy with the wear and grip... 451's???
06 3RB
MIB

Postby LIBER8ED » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:29 pm

if only i had the money.. im a bum.. ha ha

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Postby gt_dicko » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:28 am

I'm due for a set of new shoes soon too, any suggestions would be great.
gt_dicko

Postby Kosti » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:37 am

Pirelli P6000 :D
Kosti

Postby agctr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:03 am

P-Zero Nero, I have these at the moment and there are fantastic but are almost 800 per corner. Have a look at the RE50A's these are the stock tyres that have been used on the MY06, unsure what is being used on the MY07. The good thing about these, your dealership should be able to do you a pretty good deal on them.

Let us know how you go.
If anyone in BrisVegas knows how to get hold of Bob, he may be able to hook you up with a deal up there as I know he was trying to get membersx from the old site Club discounts.
Ada///M.
agctr

Postby LIBER8ED » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:17 am

800 per corner!!! :shock: crap you must like holding onto the road.. And i would be happy to stick with those stock tyres, but just wasnt sure if there was something that could suit me better.

Apprently, 57,000km out of a set of these tyres isnt that good.. Or is it just me?

They arent worn to the point of being illegal, but they are pushing the friendship

this is the rear rhs, admittedly doesnt look that bad in this pic, and the fronts are a lil worse.. i know they are due for rotation too... but stilll..

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Postby agctr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 am

LIBER8ED wrote:800 per corner!!! :shock: crap you must like holding onto the road.. And i would be happy to stick with those stock tyres, but just wasnt sure if there was something that could suit me better.

Apprently, 57,000km out of a set of these tyres isnt that good.. Or is it just me?

They arent worn to the point of being illegal, but they are pushing the friendship

this is the rear rhs, admittedly doesnt look that bad in this pic, and the fronts are a lil worse.. i know they are due for rotation too... but stilll..

Yes have to agree that the P-Zero's arent cheap but then again they are also the stock tyre on my STi and work extremely well with the whole package. Once they have heat in them, they are just fantastic I have to say.
56K for mine is pretty good. I tend to get around the 40K mark but then again I have been doing a lot of cruises and just general driving, not that I have that many K's on the STi yet.

Just a quick question... have u been doing wheel rotations at either 5 / 10 / 15 K, this would certainly help the tyre life. Also the occasional balance and wheel alignment wouldnt hurt either.
Ada///M.
agctr

Postby LIBER8ED » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:34 am

they have been getting rotated every service, ( as far as i have been made aware ) through subaru.. but it is due, well ok a lil overdue for its next service... :oops:

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Postby agctr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:47 am

LIBER8ED wrote:they have been getting rotated every service, ( as far as i have been made aware ) through subaru.. but it is due, well ok a lil overdue for its next service... :oops:

Getting the wheels rotated is one thing but they do need to be balanced on occasion aswell. I have a sign that I put in my STi at service time

NO WASH &
NO WHEEL ROTATION.

Because the wheels have been set up for each corner and I would much rather an expert rotate and balance the whole car instead of just doing a wheel rotation. To get this done, the best in Melbourne is TruTrack.
Ada///M.
agctr

Postby LIBER8ED » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:29 am

you get a wash option?? i must be getting jibbed.... i just usually get dirty hand prints that i have a go at them about...

i dont think its ever been washed.. its always taken them allllllll day to service it, and they have not once contacted me to let me know its ready.. then charge me more hours labour than i know it took..

but thats a whole seperate subject... asses...

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Postby 3rspecb » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:59 pm

agctr wrote:P-Zero Nero, I have these at the moment and there are fantastic but are almost 800 per corner. Have a look at the RE50A's these are the stock tyres that have been used on the MY06, unsure what is being used on the MY07. The good thing about these, your dealership should be able to do you a pretty good deal on them.
Let us know how you go.
If anyone in BrisVegas knows how to get hold of Bob, he may be able to hook you up with a deal up there as I know he was trying to get membersx from the old site Club discounts.
Ada///M.

Adam,
P-Zero Nero are $410per corner. I don't know what your been smoking, but i want some..

Who quoted you $800per corner?

P.S Nice to meet you today...
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Re: tyre choice

Postby OOB40 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:04 pm

LIBER8ED wrote:hey trendsetters, im about to put a new set of tyres on my car, still with the stock mags, and am seeking suggestions as to what my choice of rubber should be..

i do more distance driving than anything, but dont mind the occasional speedy mountain decent :wink: so i guess i want something that is going to give me a fairly lenghty life...

ive earned bout 56k on the ones on there now, and they are just starting to ware bald on the instep of the wheel...

cheers

kurt

Hey! U got 56K out of your stock tyres! Wow! I must be driving mine pretty hard then, i only got 25k out of mine!
Nick
Liberty 99 2.5L Sedan Silver
OOB40

Postby LIBER8ED » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:40 pm

25?? whoa...

like i said, i have done mainly long distance, 2 trips to sydney, and 80km round trip to work and back every day, and down to the gold coast every weekend to go surfing..

but im hardly kind to mine, driving around corners and round abouts...

mind you i have had the car just over 13 months, and it just clicked over 57,000

[TEAM BLUE OVAL]

LIBER8ED
-stickered-

Postby gead » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:14 pm

i got quoted 600 a corner for the pirellis from the local beaurepairs...800 seems over the top
gead

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.