Page 1 of 2

CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am
by yipming
Hi all,

Well, seems I need some work done on the CV joints. Basically the common symptom of "Clicking noise when slow turning but gone when going straight." has started. It seems to only make the sound when warmed up though, so perhaps it's the grease that needs to be replaced rather than the joint/bearings...
Also it seems louder when going left but a bit of noise when going right as well.

Question is, would most suspension places be able to do a competant job? Ie, there is nothing really Subaru specific?
And are reconditioned Subaru cv joints easy to source? Or would it be easier to get a replacement non-oem cv shafts?

Half thinking of giving Pedders a go as they are just around the corner from where I work (St Peters) ...
But then I wonder if they would inspect and regrease if that's all it's needed or would attempt to push their cv shafts onto me.


Cheers,
Alan.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 am
by yipming
Hmm ... seems to be a place call Heasman Steering around my place.
But then that looks pricey ...

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 am
by garbo41610
What year model and variant is your car and how many km's? Why don't you stick your head under the car and inspect the boots? If the boots are split then you will have to have at least the boots replaced and at the same time they will regrease. However, depending on how long the boot has been split may mean you need to have the joints replaced. You can get CV joints and shafts reconditioned which will be cheaper than new joints and shafts being installed but I would prefer to have new installed. They are pretty generic parts and will be easily sourced.

There isn't really anything Subaru specific, any suspension/steering/mechanic will be able to do it, and it's pretty hard to get wrong.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 pm
by yipming
I have a MY07 GT-B with around 80k kms on it. So to be frank if it's indeed the CV joint then it's premature failure ... or perhaps I drive roughly or something. So that why I want to find a shop that's agreeable to inspecting and regreasing/reconditioning if it's not too worn out rather than pushing for replacement.

Anyhow, the click was soft enough that I didn't catch it until this morning. If the windows are up I can't hear it.
Otherwise once home I would jack the car up to see if the boots are torn and if the shaft nuts have came loose.

I've been to MSR recently though and when the car's up to have the exhaust installed I don't remember seeing torn boots.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 pm
by garbo41610
Being made out of rubber, boots will fail over time or use and once split will continue to split and spew grease and take in dirt and grime and shiznit which may be the cause of the clicking etc. 80K kms isn't entirely unreasonable for CV joints to fail depending on driving style etc. Heavy take off's and hard cornering will decrease a CV joints life span.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 pm
by kiks
Last one cost me $45 from driveline services in qld exchange. Did the labour myself in 20-25mins.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:11 pm
by yipming
Hmm ... just checked my boots. Looks intact and no signs of oil/lub seeping out.
That was using the iPhone as a camera scope though, haven't gotten my hands on a jack yet.

As for that $45, is that some sort of swap deal? IE, they give you a recon'ed CV shaft and after replacing, you hand your old one back?

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:43 pm
by yipming
Hmm ... suppose this is typical pricing then:

A&L Drive Shafts with a store in Campsie.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-LIBER ... 3371a7786a
Description - A brand new CV Shaft that suit: subaru liberty year 2004-2006 all model. $135
They have re-con'ed ones for $99

Anyway, will call around and get some quotes.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:48 am
by yipming
Got quoted ~$230 at Roseberry Steering. Over the phone they sound like good blokes. It will be a re-conditioned shaft.

Getting $400 quotes from the other places.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 pm
by yipming
In the end the cv joint was replaced for $250. And a wheel alignment done for $50.

The noise is almost gone, only a very soft sound can be heard now. And only if I really listen for it with window down.
Will see if the noise goes away after a while or comes back.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:43 am
by yipming
Well, the refurbished one is gone. Now needing to replace it once more.
This time going for a brand new one from Pedders and quoted $350 fitted.
Hope that one last longer than 6 months.

Or at least unlike the refurbished one, I should get some form of warranties.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:33 am
by bradr
Wow - you're not having a lot of luck there.

I had both inside CV joints replaced at about the 90,000km mark - the joints cost me about $27 each (new) plus labour. I've travelled about 3,500km on them so far in the last few months without any issues.

cheers,

bj

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm
by Sh4wry
This is exactly my situation.

I've just had subaru switch the cv's around to check if it's definately them.
Then I will be getting a new cv.

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 pm
by rooby
There is a link in here for some decently priced non-genuine ones.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17827

Re: CV joints

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:24 pm
by Sh4wry
rooby wrote:There is a link in here for some decently priced non-genuine ones.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17827


Sweet.
What's rrp of these from subyroo?