Page 1 of 1
gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:15 pm
by pakejotter
Hi all I haven't posted much on this forum yet but have picked up an awful lot of information thus far.
I have recently purchased the tyre power deal for gen 4 bilistiens only to find out that my research had been very poor (the fronts only fit if you do it dodgy).
I was hoping that in order to overcome the gen 3 strut tops not fitting very well that possibly B4 strut tops would due to there stock fitment of bilistiens?
Any assistance would be great, preferably if someone has tried this before or if anyone has a pair of B4 strut tops they can measure the internal dimensions of.
Re: gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 pm
by kiks
First off:
What car do you have?
You bought gen 4 bilstein struts, springs. yes?
If you have a gen 3:
Rears bolt in, no further touchy required.
Fronts, use a spring compressor or a fat bloke and yourself to take the strut tops off the billies and put the current strut tops in.
You can also use the whiteline gen3 strut tops which are a fantastic item.
If you have a gen4:
Why wont they fit?
Re: gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:08 pm
by pakejotter
Hi Kiks,
I have a 2002 gen 3 rx.
I have had it all apart and put the gen 3 strut tops on the gen 4 bilistiens but they did not fit nearly as snugly as the stock strut tops on their respective struts. From my somewhat foggy memory bilistiens did not sit as far into the gen 3 tops as the gen 4 tops as the bilistiens have a little ledge on them. With the Gen 3 kybs there is a little bit of play which is not present in either of the stock combinations. I have had a mate who is a mechanic have a look at it he seems to think that it may be allright but probably is not worth the risk.
I was hoping that the bilistiens that come stock in the gen 3 b4 or spec. ed. rx's fitted into the strut tops the same way that the gen 4 struts do and as a result I could use the gen 3 bilistien rx strut tops. I have also read in quite a few threads that people seem a bit weary about putting the gen 4 bilies in a gen 3 with swaping over the tops.
Re: gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 am
by pakejotter
Sorry to be a pain but am i just being paranoid about the bit of slop when using the rx strut tops on the bilistiens and/or would b4 strut tops fix it?
Re: gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:29 pm
by kiks
I dont know where this slop is.
I unbolted the gen 3 strut tops, threw everything in bin
unbolted gen4 strut top, but gen3 on, pushed down whilst making weird noises and a face like I was about to shit myself, and got the bolt on.
Screwed up tight, put in car, went and did hectic hotlaps of suburban streets and school zones.
Was no slop or drama or play etc at all.
Re: gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:24 pm
by pakejotter
I will give it another go this week. How long have you been running them up front?
Cheers,
Jake
Re: gen 4 billies in gen 3 with b4 camber tops????

Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 pm
by pakejotter
Also just out of curiosity do you have a b4? Cheers, Jake