Opinions on coilovers

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Opinions on coilovers

Postby Wilso8948 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:24 am

Would like to know some feedback on coilovers for a 05GT. Tossing up whether to go bc, kw, or save up for a set of teins. Also how to KiDo rate ? Not looking at tracking the car. Looking for dampner adjustability and ride height. Wondering if by going the more expensive teins am I paying for a higher quality shock or just more variations and adjusters that I won't use
Wilso8948

Re: Opinions on coilovers

Postby drndrn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 pm

I'd choose KW over Tein any day, no doubts about it (unless you're getting the Tein Comfort Sport model)

I know some will disagree, but people on legacygt rate the BC's better than the Tein Type Flex.

I've had the BC's and they're definitely the best bang for buck coilovers around.
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

drndrn wrote:
I know some will disagree, but people on legacygt rate the BC's better than the Tein Type Flex.

It's always hard comparing when reading legacygt forum. Do they have the same model Tein flex's and BC's as we get?
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby mincedmeat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 pm

BUDDAH wrote:Image
:rofl:
mincedmeat

Car: 04 2.5i sedan

Postby Wilso8948 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Hahaha yes I do know these topics have been covered and I have done numerous searches before you ask. But there is varios opinions out there and would really like to hear from people who have these installed or have driven both etc. Plus I was interested to hear any reviews of the KiDos?
Wilso8948

Postby Wilso8948 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Also have heard that teins make Australian built coilovers to further suit our harsher roads and extremely large potholes. Correct me if I'm wrong
Wilso8948

Postby swingn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Everyone has their own opinion in regards to what they like... But there is one thing that remains a constant... You get what you pay for.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby mincedmeat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Wilso8948 wrote:Hahaha yes I do know these topics have been covered and I have done numerous searches before you ask. But there is varios opinions out there and would really like to hear from people who have these installed or have driven both etc. Plus I was interested to hear any reviews of the KiDos?

Yeah im in the same boat, it seams to be much of a muchness (hate using that frase).

swingn wrote:Everyone has their own opinion in regards to what they like... But there is one thing that remains a constant... You get what you pay for.

If it was life or death and i had to pickone right now based one what I've read so far it would prob be BC
mincedmeat

Postby Wilso8948 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Just dont want to dive straight into something like the tein that are made for ultra smooth jap roads. Something like kw v2 are tempting. I was considering bc although a quick chat to my mechanic recently put me off as he sift have the greatest of experiences with them. Please don't ask for details as it was only in passing.
Wilso8948

Postby swingn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:40 pm

mincedmeat wrote:If it was life or death and i had to pickone right now based one what I've read so far it would prob be BC

We'll agree to disagree then :P

Everyone has their opinions & it really does come down to how you use your car & what you wish to gain from having coil overs.
swingn
-stickered-

Postby coyote » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm

swingn wrote:what you wish to gain from having coil overs.

If most were to be really honest, it's the street cred of saying "da rydez iz dropt too da weedz on coilovas".

May as well just get the Kiddoes.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby mincedmeat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 pm

swingn wrote:We'll agree to disagree then :P

I will not agree to disagree, :twisted: i was really just agreeing with you. Bc would be my chioce. and your right with you get what you pay for. Half of them prob come out of the same factory, they are just built to a certain spec to a certain price with a different sticker. for me the Q also is coilover or Teni s tech(Phat) / Billys and swaybars.

and i prob would be more inclined to go the later option exept for the fact that some ppl go from that setup to coilovers. WHY WHY WHY???
mincedmeat

Postby swingn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 am

coyote wrote:
swingn wrote:what you wish to gain from having coil overs.

If most were to be really honest, it's the street cred of saying "da rydez iz dropt too da weedz on coilovas".

May as well just get the Kiddoes.

I have a feeling your right mate.
swingn
-stickered-

Postby senator » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:47 pm

drndrn wrote:I'd choose KW over Tein any day, .

KW uses a plastic retainer….not something that holds up too well over time.

I know are few members which have used the Tein Flex’s for at least 3-4 years and no knocks or leakages have been found.

I personally went for the Cusco Zero 2E’s, full stainless body construction, pillow mounts and custom valved for heavier spring rating.

What exactly are you after??? Are good road/track set up or just set up for everyday driving??

Whatever you get, make sure they are not sealed construction and can be re-built if need be.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby sheppo9 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:56 pm

BC BR are basically the same as Tein Flex but $1k less.
If I needed to replace my Tein Flex, I'd get the BC's.
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.