Noise with Cusco sway bar endlinks

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Noise with Cusco sway bar endlinks

Postby Mo_GT » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Hey All,
I put on my Cusco endlinks onto my Cusco rear sway bar and found that it made a clunking noise when going over bumps, uneven surfaces, etc.

It clunks every time i go over my gate track (one rear wheel at a time cos i'll be turning onto the road) and this is at low speed.

Anyone know why it does that?

Did all the usual - check bolts to see if they were tight, checked to see if anything was hitting anything, etc, etc. I've put on my std endlinks for now and there is no noise...
Never Argue With An Idiot... They'll Drag You Down To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience.
Mo_GT

Car: GT Spec B

Postby MY07GT » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:17 am

I think I had the same prob. Apparantly due to sway bar or end links not being tightened properly. Dunno PHAT GT fixed it up for me. Might be worth ur while giving Mike a call.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby fish_boy79 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:39 am

i have same problem with my whiteline endlinks. initially reduced the clunk by putting more white grease on, but after a while noise came back and is very annoying. i'm thinking about changing from spherical to solid end links.... whiteline make the heavy duty solid links but not sure if they fit the gen4 libs.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/073a_KLC26.pdf
fish_boy79

Postby EXPLICIT » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:15 pm

If you have billet endlinks and a tight swaybar you will get mechanical noise, not much you can do. As mentioned white grease will reduce it, but when you limit flex and travel, NVH levels tend to increase. You'll find it will carry more road noise as well, even if you go rod ends.
EXPLICIT

Postby XRC15T » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:09 am

fish_boy79 wrote:i have same problem with my whiteline endlinks. initially reduced the clunk by putting more white grease on, but after a while noise came back and is very annoying. i'm thinking about changing from spherical to solid end links.... whiteline make the heavy duty solid links but not sure if they fit the gen4 libs.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/073a_KLC26.pdf

Thinking need a new set on endies too.... agree its annoying.
The adjustments and tightening don't last long.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby Mo_GT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys... btw its not mechanical noise or road noise - or atleast it doesn't sound like it...

I'm going to leave the std endlinks on for now and on a day that i have some time i'll put the cusco ones back on and try the above mentioned things and see if it helps...or atleast find out where the noise is coming from.
Never Argue With An Idiot... They'll Drag You Down To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience.
Mo_GT

Postby XRC15T » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:02 pm

its clunk noise.....
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby Mo_GT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:18 pm

XRC15T wrote:its clunk noise.....

I think you just invented an automotive term!

:)
Mo_GT

Postby EXPLICIT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:03 am

I fitted rod end control arms on my porsche as it was impossible to access strut tops for camber adjustment. These always twanged and twitched when beginning acceleration. It was a consistent noise/thud, but in co-operation with other handling components did an outstanding job of improving already good handling dynamics. As with anything that improves handling dynamics, there is a tradeoff, and it always starts with comfort both in feel and aurally.
EXPLICIT

Postby Mo_GT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:15 am

EXPLICIT wrote:I fitted rod end control arms on my porsche as it was impossible to access strut tops for camber adjustment. These always twanged and twitched when beginning acceleration. It was a consistent noise/thud, but in co-operation with other handling components did an outstanding job of improving already good handling dynamics. As with anything that improves handling dynamics, there is a tradeoff, and it always starts with comfort both in feel and aurally.

I understand what youre saying and there have been times when i've fitted stuff to my previous cars that were not to my liking cos of NVH levels.

Good example was the diff bushings on my old WRX - fitted them, drove home called the workshop that fitted them to see when i could get them removed, drove right back and had them taken out.

But this 'clunk noise' doesn't sound normal - first i have to pin point the cause of the noise (just in case something is hitting something).

Will post whatever i find...

Oh, btw, welcome to the forums :)
Mo_GT

Postby EXPLICIT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:35 pm

No problems, we're on the same page, good luck finding the cause

....and thanks :D
EXPLICIT

Postby fish_boy79 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:44 pm

fitted bushings in for short shift last weekend..... shifting is alot better but NVH hmmmm not so good. gotta compromise something for a bit of fun.

oh yeah and welcome to forums explicit!
fish_boy79

Postby tangcla » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:40 am

I'm looking at ordering a set of these AVO endlinks for myself soon. Apparently they have very little impact on NVH. Will advise soon enough :)
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby fish_boy79 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:14 am

Mo what suspension are you using?

I changed my Whiteline spherical endlinks to the Whiteline solid links for wrx and seemed to have solved most of the clunk noise.... but still had slight noise when braking. after reading other posts on the net found that coilovers can also cause the same clunk noise, mainly the pillowball mount. I tightened up the pillowball nut and noise seemed to have gone for now.
fish_boy79

Postby tangcla » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:41 am

fish_boy79 wrote:... the Whiteline solid links for wrx ...

Are they the gold ones shaped like an S?
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.