tirerack.com

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

tirerack.com

Postby MatMann » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm

have they stopped international shipping?
I can't figure out how to get shipping address to Australia
how did you guys mange it?
MatMann

Car: '04 3.0r-b

Re: tirerack.com

Postby vedi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Howdy, you have to request a quote from the sales email.

http://www.tirerack.com/FAQ/results.jsp?category=Shipping#81

They really do insist they get all your details to generate a quote:
Full billing address
Full shipping address
Billing telephone number
Your contact information
Complete list of products you'd like to purchase

They usually offer standard and express delivery. Standard takes about 1 week and was roughly $50-60 per tyre.
I live with fear everyday, but sometimes she lets me go driving.
vedi

Car: MY07 Liberty STi

Postby swingn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:53 pm

^^^

+1

Just be aware that you may just charged import duty if the total purchase / invoice amount is over $1000.00

The usual trick it to ship in 2 batched (IE: 2 tires at a time therefore 2 x invoices), but be aware that customs is cracking down on this sort of stuff.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby bates91 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:13 pm

swingn wrote:^^^

+1

Just be aware that you may just charged import duty if the total purchase / invoice amount is over $1000.00

The usual trick it to ship in 2 batched (IE: 2 tires at a time therefore 2 x invoices), but be aware that customs is cracking down on this sort of stuff.

do you know off the top of your head how much import duty is, roughly?

Cheers
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Postby teK-- » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 pm

bates91 wrote:
swingn wrote:^^^

+1

do you know off the top of your head how much import duty is, roughly?

Cheers

Isn't it 10%? (GST). Plus Customs processing charge.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby drndrn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:56 pm

It's closer to 15% I believe. Its not as simple as 10% GST
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby bates91 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:21 pm

yeah i think someone was telling me they charge import duty at X %, THEN do 10% GST or something...?
*shrugs shoulders*
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Postby swingn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:06 am

Pretty sure the import duty is 5%, but GST of 10% is also payable... BUT, I'm unsure if those percentages are calculated on the total invoiced amount OR the invoiced amount of the products (IE: Freight cost removed) OR if it's only on the amount over $1000.00... Just not sure as I've never imported expensive things from overseas personally.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby jdm rsk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 am

you dont pay tax on postage as long as it is seperated in the invoice
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby drndrn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 am

Here's the info I used.

Written by a LICENCED CUSTOMS BROKER this guide explains (in simple terms) all the Customs & Quarantine requirements for importing into Australia. As most eBay Sellers ship their goods via EMS / Parcel Post, this guide is focused accordingly.

Please Note: eBay guides does not allow external hyperlinks however as they are essential refernces for this guide, we have included them but without the "www" prefix.

GUIDE CONTENTS
Section I - Will my goods get stopped by Customs? What do I do?
Section II - Import Duty / Import GST / Import Tax and Customs Charges
Section III - Do I need a Customs Broker? What do they cost?
Section IV - How do I clear the goods through Customs myself?
Section V - Frequently Asked Customs / Importing Questions.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Section I - Will my goods get Stopped by Customs? What do I do?

Customs will stop your goods if they meet ANY of the below criteria.

Have a value over AUD $1,000.
Contain Alcohol or Tobacco of ANY quantity or value.
Contain goods of “Customs Interest” being ANY goods listed on - customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/SACThesaurus_050725.pdf
Contain Prohibited Imports listed on - customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp

If your goods do not meet any of the above criteria then they are not of Customs or Quarantine interest and will be released upon arrival and subsequently delivered to your door without cost.

What to do if your goods are stopped by Customs
In most cases goods purchased on eBay are shipped via EMS (Express Mail Service). Once your goods arrive in Australia you will receive in the mail an “Australia Post Arrival Notice”.

Once you receive this notice you have two options, you can have a Customs Broker clear the goods for you (See Section III) or you can clear the goods yourself (see Section IV).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Section II - Import Duty / Import GST / Import Tax and Customs Charges
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

1) Which goods are subject to Customs Import Duty/GST?

You will be charged Import Duty/GST if your goods meet EITHER of the following:

a) Have a value over AUD $1,000; OR
b) Contain Alcohol or Tobacco of any quantity or value.

If your goods are valued UNDER AUD$1,000 and DO NOT contain Alcohol or Tobacco then you will not be required to pay any Customs Import Duty/GST or associated Customs charges.

2) How is Customs Import Duty / Import GST calculated?

Duty is calculated as a percentage of the price you paid for goods (aka the Customs Value - CV). Depending on the product, the applicable duty rate can be anywhere from 0% to 10%, however the majority of goods attract a 5% duty rate.

GST is calculated at 10% of the Value of the Taxable Import (VoTI). The VoTI is calculated by the addition of the Customs Value (CV) PLUS the Duty PLUS the value of the International Transport and Insurance (T&I).

An example of how the duty and GST is calculated on goods valued at AUD$1,500 which attract a 5% duty rate would be:

If the Customs value (CV) of imported Goods = $1,500.00
Then the Customs Duty @ 5% of the $1,500 (CV) = $75.00 (Payable)
Assuming the international transport and insurance (T&I) = $125.00
Then the VoTI = (CV) + Duty + (T&I) = $1,700.00
GST = 10% of the VoTI = 10% x $1,700 = $170.00 (Payable)
Therefore the Total Duty plus GST payable = $245.00

Please Note: Customs utilises different calculation methods for Alcohol and Tobacco imports. See - auspostcustoms.com.au/faqs.html?more=21#faq109 for full details.

3) How is a Duty Rate Percentage assigned to my goods?
All imported goods are assigned a tariff classification obtained from the Australian Customs Tariff (customs.gov.au/site/page5663.asp) which determines the rate of duty you will pay for that product.

4) Are there any other Customs Charges?
Yes. You will also be charged a Customs Entry Fee of $48.50 if you choose to manually clear the goods yourself, OR $40.20 if you choose to have a Customs Broker electronically clear them for you.

Section III - Do I need a Customs Broker? What do they cost?

You are legally permitted to manually clear the goods yourself (see Section IV below) however there are a few points you should be aware of before choosing to do so.

Using a Customs Broker – Pros

Simplicity. They do everything for you, right up until the goods are delivered to your door. All you need to do is provide them with two documents:
A copy of the eBay email you received upon purchase; and
The “Australia Post Arrival Notice” you will receive in the mail when your goods arrive in Australia.
Speed. They can electronically clear your goods immediately instead of waiting the usual 7-10 business days for Customs to process your manually lodged documents.
Savings. They will evaluate your imported goods in accordance with the Customs Tariff (comprising over 13,000 Tariff Classifications and 4,000 Concessions, By-laws, Precedents) to ascertain the lowest possible legal Duty and GST rates applicable to your goods.
Online Lodgement. Some Customs Brokers (like us) even allow you to attach the above mentioned two documents online so you don’t even have to make a phone call. It doesn’t get any easier than that!

Using a Customs Broker – Cons

It will cost you $55 (that’s all we charge at auspostcustoms.com.au). Alternatively you can also look in the yellow pages under Customs Brokers – but be prepared, some brokers will try to charge you up to $225 for the same service.

Section IV – How do I clear the goods through Customs myself?

It’s a bit of a long process but if you follow these instructions you can do it yourself and save the $55 Customs Broker charge.

Step 1 – Print and Read the Customs Import Declaration Guide (54 Pages) from customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/DocImpDecGuide.pdf

Step 2 – Complete a Client Registration Form B323 from - customs.gov.au/site/page4288.asp and supply a 100 point Evidence of Identity check.

Step 3 – Determine the Customs Tariff Classification for your goods, see - customs.gov.au/site/page5663.asp
Note: If you are unable to ascertain the correct Tariff Classification for your goods you can ask Customs to classify the goods for you (usually within 7-10 days) by completing a Tariff Advice, see - customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ta-guideline.pdf

Step 4 – Complete the 3 Forms at the back of the Customs Import Declaration Guide entitled “Import Declaration (N10)”, “Import Declaration (N10) – Transport Details” and “Import Declaration (N10) – Tariff Details”.

When completing these forms you may also be required to reference the following legislation:

a) Customs Valuation Manual. See - customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Volume_8a___Valuation1.pdf
b) Customs Origin Manual. See - customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/manualVol8C_050407.pdf
c) The Customs Act. See - customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/CustomsAct1901.pdf
d) Customs Exchange Rates. See - customs.gov.au/site/page4277.asp
e) Other Customs Declaration Manuals. See - customs.gov.au/site/page4289.asp

Step 5 – Fax all complete forms including certified copies of EOI to the relevant fax number listed in the Import Declaration Guide for your state. Wait 5 - 8 business days for customs to process your documents and advise you (usually by mail) if your documentation has been completed correctly (if not you need to amend it and re-submit).

Step 6 – If you completed everything correctly the first time, then Customs will generate an entry for you, calculate the Duty/GST and Customs Charges payable and submit your credit card details to their accounts department for billing. It usually takes a further 2-3 days for the accounts department to process your credit card and release your goods for delivery by Australia Post.

Total Manual Entry Processing Time: Approx 7-10 Business Days.

Section V – Frequently Asked Customs / Importing Questions

Why do I need to pay GST?
Is Duty and GST payable on used goods?
My goods were a gift, why should I pay anything?
My goods are only for private use. Do I still need to pay Duty/GST?
How is the Customs Value (CV) calculated?
Who can I call to discuss the calculation of Duty/GST?

The answers to all of the above questions (and more) can be found at auspostcustoms.com.au/faqs.html - If we were to list them all here, this guide would be 10 pages long.
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby hamish_023 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:43 pm

I think I might go with the Potenza RE050A's for $944 US from tyre rack. 225/40/18

They will hopefully better then the Falken FK452's that lasted sweet Fark all and weren't that great all round
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby tangcla » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Thinking of buying a set of Continental SportContact 3 from Tirerack... now the question is, 18 or 19 :wink:
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby GT - 001 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:45 pm

by tangcla » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Thinking of buying a set of Continental SportContact 3 from Tirerack... now the question is, 18 or 19

Depends what you prefer IMO
-18s = more comfortable
-19s = more pimp
:)
GT - 001

Postby smythie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 pm

what's the dollar difference on the BBS CH in 18 vs 19? We all know you'd want 19 for looks :wink:
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby coyote » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 pm

tangcla wrote:Thinking of buying a set of Continental SportContact 3 from Tirerack... now the question is, 18 or 19 :wink:

These are cheap!

** Team Tony **
coyote

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.