Need new Dampers and Springs

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Need new Dampers and Springs

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:13 pm

My MY04 GT (non Bilstein) desperately needs new dampers and springs. I've read lots of threads and I've got no idea. Would say I've got no specific requirements other than I'd like to not go too low and comfort is important. I am paranoid about the rear dropping down too low and looking silly. A few of the cars in the pictures thread looked that way to me.

Any thoughts on these options -

a) Factory STI springs and Bilstein dampers from the WheelPower guy.
b) Phat Tein S Techs or Eibach springs, but what dampers?
c) KW V2 coilovers. I almost pulled the trigger on these a while back (eBay from the US) but got cold feet.

I already have Whiteline sways & front strut brace and Phat's front LCA bushes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by AndrewCowley on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Re: Need new Dampers and Springs

Postby teK-- » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Eibach if comfort and mild drop is at the top of your list. Will work well either stock KYB dampers or the Wheelpower Bilsteins.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 pm

teK-- wrote:Eibach if comfort and mild drop is at the top of your list. Will work well either stock KYB dampers or the Wheelpower Bilsteins.

Anyone know if Wheelpower will sell just the Bilsteins?
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby teK-- » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm

They do. With the springs (which are worth nothing anyway)
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm

teK-- wrote:They do. With the springs (which are worth nothing anyway)

Lol. The Eibach's are that much better that you reckon it makes sense get the STi Pinks and toss them? Anyone got a link to the Eibach's? Wondering how much they cost.
AndrewCowley

Postby teK-- » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 pm

I don't understand. Why would you buy the STI pinks then toss them??

The struts that Wheelpower sell are with stock GTB springs, not STI Pinks.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm

teK-- wrote:I don't understand. Why would you buy the STI pinks then toss them??

The struts that Wheelpower sell are with stock GTB springs, not STI Pinks.

Sorry, was confused there for a moment. Meant to ask this...

If Wheelpower won't sell the dampers by themselves, are the Eibach's good enough to warrant ditching the springs from Wheelpower and replacing them with Eibach's?
AndrewCowley

Postby teK-- » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Yes.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Wheelpower charge $550 for their kit. How much are the Eibach springs?
AndrewCowley

Postby teK-- » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:44 am

About the same.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks Tek. Two choices then -

a) Bilsteins (from WheelPower) and Eibach Pros.
b) KW Variant 2 coilovers.

My research suggests that the coilovers have appeal because the front/rear heights can be made just right. Is this right? I really don't want a droopy rear.

I've read some stuff about top hats (same as top mounts?) which I know nothing about. Do they need replacing or changing with either of these options?

Where is everyone, thought I'd get lots of responses on this. Maybe a sign of how prehistoric my car now is!
AndrewCowley

Postby imania » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Even on their softest setting the kw's are a lot firmer than the stock ride, they're really comfortable for coilovers, and I have no complaints about mine, but I like a solid feel of the road, so if you're after something more comparable to stock a set of eibach pro's with KYB or billy dampers might be a better setup for you
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby teK-- » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:49 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Thanks Tek. Two choices then -

a) Bilsteins (from WheelPower) and Eibach Pros.
b) KW Variant 2 coilovers.

My research suggests that the coilovers have appeal because the front/rear heights can be made just right. Is this right? I really don't want a droopy rear.

I've read some stuff about top hats (same as top mounts?) which I know nothing about. Do they need replacing or changing with either of these options?

Where is everyone, thought I'd get lots of responses on this. Maybe a sign of how prehistoric my car now is!

If you are worried about droop with the Bilsteins then get saggy butt shims. Bear in mind the rear *is* meant to be lower than the front and people who want their ride height even are doing it at the expense of handling.

Most people get coilovers for the height adjustability; and others for the very coarse range of damping adjustment that they offer. (Adjusting the damping settings is a gimmick until you get to super high end models because on the cheap ones the knobs are inaccurate or even totally wrong/reversed so you'd need a spring dyno to properly set them up each time).

Bilsteins can use your stock tophats if they don't come with them (pretty sure Wheelpower ones do). Coilovers generally come with their own pillowball top hats which you will not want to use unless you want increased NVH.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby coyote » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Option 3 is buy a set of Wheelpower Billies (they come with top hats), get a custom set of springs and have the Billies revalved to suit.

PM Breno over on C&I for an idea of the results.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:56 pm

teK-- wrote:Bilsteins can use your stock tophats if they don't come with them (pretty sure Wheelpower ones do). Coilovers generally come with their own pillowball top hats which you will not want to use unless you want increased NVH.

My car is 7 years old with nearly 100,000 km travelled. Wondering if I got the coilovers would I even want to use my top hats? They are worn out, surely? So the top hats would need replacing too. You are correct that the Wheelpower bilsteins do come with top hats. Suppose that's a +1 for that option.
AndrewCowley

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.