Page 1 of 2

Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:03 pm
by 41DZZ
Hey guys,

So I'm looking at buying a new car in the coming 12 months and just want to know a few Q's.

If I purchase fully adjustable coilovers, now, for my 05 2.5i, will they fit straight onto a GT/GT Spec B? Also, are the gearboxes used in the Spec B's the same as the STi ones for wrx's/GT same as WRX? If so do those things (the name escapes me atm) that convert the 2 diff models of WRX to RWD work on the Lib gear boxes *puts on flame suit* The reason I want to know is I love the Lib but want to get RWD down the track and if I can do that to a spec b then that would make something completely different and very Aidan-like. I know some people aren't going to like the idea but it will be my car ;) and as a wise man once said, "haters gunna hate"

Any advice etc. would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone would like to help me and answer more of my random questions feel free to PM me for a chat, but beware, i have alot of random questions :P

Thanks guys, Look forward to hearing from you all.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:06 pm
by 41DZZ
Also forgot to ask about LSD's, do people make them for Lib's?

Thanks.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:09 pm
by smythie
41DZZ wrote:If I purchase fully adjustable coilovers, now, for my 05 2.5i, will they fit straight onto a GT/GT Spec B?
Yes. Straight swap.

41DZZ wrote:Also, are the gearboxes used in the Spec B's the same as the STi ones for wrx's/GT same as WRX?
not exactly the same but some have stuck WRX STI boxes in their Liberty's without major issues AFAIK.

I'm also semi keen on the rear drive conversion some time down the track. I keep meaning to do some research on other's experiences but procrastinate... If the centre diff in mine ever goes again, that idea will jump to the top of the queue

Oh, and LSD's. I believe they do - similar deal to WRX's I believe. Just need some thought about ratios and such.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 pm
by coyote
Spec B box is basically an STi unit and far superior to anything that ever came in a WRX.

Spec B rear diff is already a viscous LSD. Easy upgrade to various torsens or a plated diff.

Rear drive is pretty simple too. I've driven a few rear drive WRXs.

Not being a hater, but it would of course be much easier to just buy a 135i.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 pm
by smythie
135i, I understand but I think would require a bit more cash than a rear drive centre diff conversion. Then again, the time it might take to sort the handling characteristics of my car once converted could go a way towards justifying the bavarian.

My concern is with long term reliability and how it might affect but as I said, I need to research it for myself.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm
by teK--
My interest would be if the stock rear driveshafts and the tailshaft could cope with 100% rear drive.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:55 pm
by coyote
Read my comments in the other thread.

It makes zero sense to build a RWD car with the engine mounted forward of the front wheels.

/Thread

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 pm
by 41DZZ
coyote wrote:Rear drive is pretty simple too. I've driven a few rear drive WRXs.


I know it doesn't make sense to you, but what is involved? It's more of a curiosity thing than anything.

EDIT: Also I'm terrible at using search function, could anyone point me towards a good thread about the 2.0t vs 2.5t pros/cons or debate?

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm
by XT_for_me
41DZZ wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm looking at buying a new car in the coming 12 months and just want to know a few Q's.

If I purchase fully adjustable coilovers, now, for my 05 2.5i, will they fit straight onto a GT/GT Spec B?

The simple answer is no, they are quiet different fitment.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 am
by Ben
41DZZ wrote:EDIT: Also I'm terrible at using search function, could anyone point me towards a good thread about the 2.0t vs 2.5t pros/cons or debate?


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2.0+vs+2.5+site%3Aliberty.asn.au

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 pm
by Doyab
XT_for_me wrote:
41DZZ wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm looking at buying a new car in the coming 12 months and just want to know a few Q's.

If I purchase fully adjustable coilovers, now, for my 05 2.5i, will they fit straight onto a GT/GT Spec B?

The simple answer is no, they are quiet different fitment.

Really? I thought they are the same?

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:22 pm
by XT_for_me
I just looked up the KiDo fitting guide and they are listed with different spring rates. I am pretty sure the Lib has a rear double wishbone type suspension and the WRX I know has a strut type suspension.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 pm
by coyote
XT_for_me wrote:
41DZZ wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm looking at buying a new car in the coming 12 months and just want to know a few Q's.

If I purchase fully adjustable coilovers, now, for my 05 2.5i, will they fit straight onto a GT/GT Spec B?

The simple answer is no, they are quiet different fitment.


The answer is simple and you had a 50% chance of getting it right.

Guess again, Mr Kido.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 pm
by XT_for_me
Thank you for your informative answer Mr Coyote. Unfortunately unless you can qualify it (pix would be good) it counts for zip.

Re: Coilovers and Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:33 am
by sheppo9
Coilovers - he's talking about 2.5 to GT, so they'd fit.

Gearboxes - he's talking about WRX's.