Page 1 of 1

sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:29 pm
by SegR
So in QLD (and some other states) we can only increase our total wheel diameter by 15mm greater than the largest rim/tyre combo available as an option from the manufacturer.

My '05 3.0R has 17x7 rims with 215/45 tyres.

I believe the 3.0R Spec B has 18x7 rims with 215/45 tyres.

Stock, the Spec B has an extra inch of diameter than the vanilla 3.0R, but per the rules this wheel/tyre combo would not be roadworthy - unless the B spec can be considered an 'option' for the 3.0R. I think I'm pushing my luck here though, as Subaru market the B as a separate model, not an 'option pack'... what are your opinions?

The other annoying aspect is I can only go 1" wider on the rims than stock... so 8.5" ones are out of the question if I don't want to take that risk (which pretty much everyone is doing anyway)

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:43 pm
by Robbks
there's nothing about RIM widths in those rules
you cannot widen the TRACK by more than 26mm (measured between the tyres centrelines) so as long as you keep the offset the same, you can go with rims as wide as teh rest of teh rules stipulate

you canot use a TYRE that is more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s
widest optional tyre.
so the 215's can be as wide as 275's

the rules only apply to the Make/ Model/ Model Year of a vehicle
i.e Subaru Liberty MY06
the "variant" i.e 2.0R, SpecB, TB STi is not taken into account. so you pick the bigegst tyre combo fitted across the range and go 1.3 times wider than them.
again WHEEL widths do not count in the context of those rules,
as long as
a) The rims and tyres must not protrude beyond the
bodywork of the vehicle,
b)The tyre to rim fitting and the tyre to rim combination
must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Standards
Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of
Australia (So all you JDM Riceboys with 205 tyres stretched onto 10" wide rims not only look stupid but are illegal)

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:44 pm
by SegR
Thanks for the repsonse, particularly the part about the make/model checks - that's good to know.

I could've sworn I read there was a maximum permissibile increase in rim size of 27mm or something similar... I must have read it elsewhere prior to finding this document (which I consider authoritative as it's first-hand from TMR).

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 pm
by drndrn
tbh, as long as you're within reason.. You shouldn't get into any trouble with the cops or rwahtever. Maybe insurance should you have an accident, but cops shouldn't hassle you.

I ran 18x9 +35 on my lib (stock being 17x7 +55), they stuck out of the guards quite a bit and I never once got pulled over.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:01 pm
by Adrian2627
Make sure to check with you insurance company before changing rims. Some companies, GIO for example, consider aftermarket alloy wheels to be a "modification" and therefore won't insure your car.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 pm
by SegR
That's pretty retarded, but a good point and I had intended to check first with the insurer.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:53 am
by Adrian2627
It's completely retarded. I spoke to GIO and even though the rims/tyres are completely legal they consider it a performance modification as they are not standard dealer fitment. Not to worry though as they are one of the most expensive insurers wanting just under $1000, I'm 40 and rating 1, which is bloody ridiculous.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:25 am
by tkboi
Robbks wrote:there's nothing about RIM widths in those rules
you cannot widen the TRACK by more than 26mm (measured between the tyres centrelines) so as long as you keep the offset the same, you can go with rims as wide as teh rest of teh rules stipulate

you canot use a TYRE that is more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s
widest optional tyre.
so the 215's can be as wide as 275's

the rules only apply to the Make/ Model/ Model Year of a vehicle
i.e Subaru Liberty MY06
the "variant" i.e 2.0R, SpecB, TB STi is not taken into account. so you pick the bigegst tyre combo fitted across the range and go 1.3 times wider than them.
again WHEEL widths do not count in the context of those rules,
as long as
a) The rims and tyres must not protrude beyond the
bodywork of the vehicle,
b)The tyre to rim fitting and the tyre to rim combination
must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Standards
Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of
Australia (So all you JDM Riceboys with 205 tyres stretched onto 10" wide rims not only look stupid but are illegal)


O_O jdm riceboys? i actually find that quite a insulting comment, i have got many friends with that kind of set up and it looks crazy ass, rice? i dont think so, and whats wrong with JDM styling O_O if you dont like it please dont imply that it "looks stupid" and its "rice", its not like its not for any beneficial gains, go down to a drift event one day and ask them why they got wide stretch tires.

thats just my 2c.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 am
by Robbks
tkboi wrote: go down to a drift event one day and ask them why they got wide stretch tires.


They have a genuine reason for needing them/ making use of them.

on a road car..?... :roll: :roll:

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:28 pm
by tkboi
err if people cant afford both a track car and a road car? pretty normal around here

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:43 pm
by tangcla
Over stretched tyres aren't safe...

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:02 pm
by SegR
Soo... drift monkey antics aside... is anyone here running Rota 18x8.5 +44's on a 3R or 3RB? ('05 in case that's relevant). I would consider 235/40 tyres on Gravels. Tossing up whether to by a set from Pro-speed/T-REXX but from my calculations it looks as though these puppies may protrude slightly beyond the front fender. This thread of awesomeness seems to suggest they may be ok however.

Just running stock 3.0R struts & springs though may upgrade to the Bilsteins. I don't see myself putting in coilovers.

I'm specifically looking for something which doesn't protrude beyond the front & rear fenders and also provides enough clearance to cope with the occasional big-arse pothole on crappy queensland roads.

Also looking for info on how these feel as they're probably at least a kilo heavier than the stock (17x7 +55's) and since a lower offset, may do weird crap to the feel of steering??

Yes I know 18x8 +48's on the other hand are an awesome fit... all my forum searching answered that one!

I will make a decision on wheels sometime in the next 12 months :-p

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm
by tangcla
I have 8.5+50 and they are flush with the guards, I am running 215/35/19 tyres.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am
by SegR
tangcla wrote:I have 8.5+50 and they are flush with the guards, I am running 215/35/19 tyres.


Well that answers the question of whether 8.5+44 with fatter tyres would be within the guards. Thanks.

Re: sneaking around rim increase requirements

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:44 am
by neilgero
i havnt got rotas but am waiting delivery of 18x8.5 +45 work 11r-ft. rims are going to be mated to 225/45 18 Hankook k110. i went the 225 because its only marginally smaller than 235 (and is in no way considered strech as tangcala has previously advised) and would look better (imo) and 45 aspect for abit more cushion for the ass since i have billys/s-techs on.

cheap tires: www.tirerack.com
if you wish to purchase: Jonas Paeplow The Tire Rack <jonas@tirerack.com> he deals with international buyers (i.e me and you)
keep your order below 1k and no duty! k110's cost me $750 all up and took 4 business days delivered to my door after payment cleared by fedex. you wont be dissapointed.

Image