Page 1 of 1
Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 am
by neilgero
Hey guys,
im getting some new wheels soon and am just seeking some advice befor i commit my hard earned.
im wanting to get some rims in 18 x 8.5J +50 format on some 225/40/18 (maybe 224/45 if it fits) rubber all round. the question to you guys is: will this clear the the struts, i have billys on tein S-techs, and its not so much the rear im worried about, but the front struts, they look kinda biggish and with 8.5", will +50 offset be enough to clear the struts? also will i need to roll the guards all round? ive noticed the rear is quite low as it is on stock 17x7
maybe i should just get 18 x 8J +45?
any pointers are appreciated.
Neil

Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 am
by drndrn
18x8 +45 is much more ideal.
That said 18x8.5 +50 is quite a non aggressive set up, so guard rolling will not be needed on either front or rear. And I'm unsure about the strut clearance issue.
224/45? I don't believe ther eis such a tyre size. Did you mean 245?
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:32 pm
by blacktop™
I've got a 225/45 on a 8.5 wide rim and the tyre looks a little stretched. 235/45 is probably more ideal. Offset is +38 so I'd def get more scrubbing if I did have a 235/45.
I also cannot comment on the strut clearance issue sorry.
The 8 +45 is a safer bet because there are quite a few people on here with wheels around that size.
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm
by tangcla
Depends how low your car is - on mine, I get rubbing at the front. Same offset.
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:02 pm
by neilgero
tangcla wrote:Depends how low your car is - on mine, I get rubbing at the front. Same offset.
height is pretty generic so would be like other guys will billys and Stechs. are you running the 8.5 +50 rims? and the rubbing your refering to is the rubbing with the strut? damn

lol
blacktop™ wrote:I've got a 225/45 on a 8.5 wide rim and the tyre looks a little stretched. 235/45 is probably more ideal. Offset is +38 so I'd def get more scrubbing if I did have a 235/45.
I also cannot comment on the strut clearance issue sorry.
The 8 +45 is a safer bet because there are quite a few people on here with wheels around that size.
whop whop. yeah sorry typo there, i meant 235 for the 8.5" and 225 if i were to go the 8"
if i was to go the 18x8 id have to wait till end of may for the rims to be produced, then another 6-9weeks to be shipped over >_>
the 18x8.5 are ready to go.. and i dont mind abit of herrah frush or el mexicano providing i dont scrub the struts lol
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 pm
by blacktop™
Well if your gonna go 8.5, a +50 offset isn't gonna be hella flush or Mexican!
Do they have a lower offset in the 8.5 width?
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 pm
by coyote
I have 235/40 KU36s on 18x8.5 +46 rims and -1.5deg front camber.
Miles from the strut and only just touched the guard before winding on the camber.
You're crazy to go for 225s on 8" rims as 235/40R18 is a Falcodore size and cheap as chips.
I am yet to pay more than $250 for a tyre on these wheels. The same tyres in a smaller size cost significantly more.
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 am
by neilgero
unfortunatly there isnt a lower offset avalible in the 8.5. only +50. a +40 would be nice
going to get tires off tire rack in the US. looking at something similar to Bridgestone Re001 (RE076 in the US) or Hancook K112.
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 am
by coyote
With a +40 offset, you'll either have to run a narrow tyre or beat the shit out of your guards. Unless you drive like a Nanna, you'll also risk hub and bearing problems by changing the scrub radius more than you need to.
18x8.5 +50 is just about perfect, unless you're more interested in the ricer look than how the thing drives. Seriously, from a performance perspective, the wheel specs you are looking at are just about perfect for the car (although you haven't specified the weight).
I had a set of 235/40 RE001s. My review on them is that I removed them and flogged them off on ebay after less than 2000km. They are just a good touring tyre, not really a high performance one. Unless they are stupidly cheap, there are much better options out there.
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 am
by neilgero
weight per rim is 9.3kg i think not inc tyre. for 8.5J
price for the Re001: 235/40R18 95W Load Index 95 = 1521lbs (690kg) per tire
Speed Rating “W” = 168mph (270kph) $156.00 (ea.)
price for hankook ventus K110: 235/40ZR18 95Y Load Index 95 = 1521lbs (690kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph) $137.00 (ea.)
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:55 am
by tangcla
[quote="neilgero" height is pretty generic so would be like other guys will billys and Stechs. are you running the 8.5 +50 rims? and the rubbing your refering to is the rubbing with the strut? damn

lol[/quote]
I'm running 19x8.5 +50 with 225/35/19 and it rubs on the guards (body, not the strut). For what it's worth, I have coilovers.
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm
by neilgero
hmm. i might just roll the guards then. im be uber pissed if they hit the strut at the front lol
Re: Question for guys running 18 x 8.5J rims

Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 am
by neilgero
with the strong aussie dollar to the Yen i cant resist, am getting a loan to get the 18x8.5 +45.
will be getting these bad boys, although from japan at a reduced price

thanks for the input guys,
neil.