Page 1 of 2
Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:58 am
by KAB26
I am just about to buy (tomorrow) some new semi-slicks to fit my standard 18x7 3.0R-B Wheels. I wouldnt mind some advise of what people here recommend.
My requirements,
- Fit 18 x 7 wheels, (so 225 max width, I think?)
- Will not be used as street tyres (except to and from the track)
- Will probably only do 2-3 track days per year.
- Dont want to spend more than $200-400 per tyre. The lower the better, but happy to pay for a better outcome if needed.
I thought I had decided on Kumho KU36's but have heard mixed reports.
Any advise welcome.
Thanks
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 am
by teK--
Kumho KU36 (about $270 for 225/40/18). Very good tyre, horrible in wet but they are a good track tyre for the cost.
Toyo Proxes R888 225/40/18 available. Even better tyre IMHO but I am not sure of the cost they will likely be close to your limit of $400.
Bridgestone RE-01R 225/40/18 available. These do take a while to warm up but are excellent once they do. Also hard to get you need to find someone who grey imports them. Close to $400.00 each.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am
by tangcla
Hankook Z212 R-S2. Similar to the KU36. Great almost-semi-slick road-legal tyre.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:31 am
by KAB26
what sort of dollars are the Hankooks?
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm
by senator
Bridgestone RE 55 SR2....... hard compound semi......
you might have to do a 215 if you want to stay below the $400
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 am
by 3rspecb
Bridgestone RE55s
I ran these on my OE 18x7 - 225/40/18
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&biw=189 ... 9484a9f1bc
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 pm
by KAB26
Thanks for the responses guys.
Given my time constraints I ended up going with the cheaper ($225 per tyre) option of 225/40/18 Kumho KU36's (freshly made 03/10)
They feel really good on the road, nice and soft and grippy and would make a great sporty street option.
On the track was a difference story. For the first few laps they felt great but once they were hot the 'went off' pretty quickly. About two laps pushing fairly hard (about 1.13 sec laps at wakefield) was all they had before turning to jelly. Admitedly the tyres were working pretty hard (sliding in, understeering a bit and then on the edge of traction out of the corners). The other issue was once they were hot, they held the heat all day (it was only 22 degrees) which is normally a good thing but given they performed best warm, not hot, it only took a lap or so for them to get too hot and jelly like.
After exploring my options a bit further and given I dont need these tyres for the road, I think I will get some proper semi slicks (non street tyre). I was told the Federal FZ-201's are good but only come in three sizes until next year, about $300 each. Any other thoughts welcome.
I now have 6 x KU36 for sale? 4 x 90-95% tread (one track day only) and 2 x 30% tread. All 225/40/18. Drop me a PM if you are interested as I will sell them pretty cheap to get rid of them.
Just thought it may be useful to share my experiences.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16 pm
by swingn
I always get confused when the turm Semi-Slick pops up... Are you wanting a good street performance tyre with semi-slick characteristics...? Is so, then then KU36's or Falken RT615's are good options.
If you're want a "real" semi-slick IE: R Spec tyres... Then it's a different ball game.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:33 pm
by KAB26
I now realise I want a proper semi-slick (R spec tyre) not a street tyre. I wasnt sure before, until the KU36's didnt perform to my expectations.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm
by teK--
KAB26 wrote:Thanks for the responses guys.
Given my time constraints I ended up going with the cheaper ($225 per tyre) option of 225/40/18 Kumho KU36's (freshly made 03/10)
They feel really good on the road, nice and soft and grippy and would make a great sporty street option.
On the track was a difference story. For the first few laps they felt great but once they were hot the 'went off' pretty quickly. About two laps pushing fairly hard (about 1.13 sec laps at wakefield) was all they had before turning to jelly. Admitedly the tyres were working pretty hard (sliding in, understeering a bit and then on the edge of traction out of the corners). The other issue was once they were hot, they held the heat all day (it was only 22 degrees) which is normally a good thing but given they performed best warm, not hot, it only took a lap or so for them to get too hot and jelly like.
After exploring my options a bit further and given I dont need these tyres for the road, I think I will get some proper semi slicks (non street tyre). I was told the Federal FZ-201's are good but only come in three sizes until next year, about $300 each. Any other thoughts welcome.
I now have 6 x KU36 for sale? 4 x 90-95% tread (one track day only) and 2 x 30% tread. All 225/40/18. Drop me a PM if you are interested as I will sell them pretty cheap to get rid of them.
Just thought it may be useful to share my experiences.
Tyre pressure plays a big part. What were you running?
I've used those tyres on an XR4 with no problem hot laps repeatedly for 20min sessions with no tyre squirm. Same session a turbo Supra on same tyres was running hot laps all session with no problem at all.
We were running about 28psi cold.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:13 pm
by swingn
KAB26 wrote:I now realise I want a proper semi-slick (R spec tyre) not a street tyre. I wasnt sure before, until the KU36's didnt perform to my expectations.
Toyo Proxies seem to be the most accessable & at a very good price - I believe at one stage people were able to obtain full sets (225/40 18) fitted & balanced for around the $1500 mark from St George Tyres.
If you're looking for out & out track track, I'd look at the Yogi's or Dunlops (Both perform very well on the track)... Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are ment to be a good thing (Standard on GT3's

) for both road & track applications, as well as the Pirelli R Specs.
Tek is correct about the tyre pressures being very important (Regardless of the tyres)... On the track, we were going out with approx 34PSI & coming off with 40PSI +. So we were constantly adjusting the tyre pressures in the morning, but they settled out nicely by the afternoon.
For the Shift Performance track day last week, I used Nitrogen in the tyres & found them to be very good & with minimal adjustment needed (2 PSI in the front) throughout the day.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:47 pm
by KAB26
I was running 30 psi cold which was coming up to about 38 psi hot, only checked once! Didnt actually put the gauge on them at thier hottest.
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:55 pm
by teK--
Hey Kab I just saw what car you have in your signature. All those horses could have turned out to be a problem for the poor KU36!
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:19 pm
by 05GTLIBERTY
what about yokohama advans???
Re: Semi-Slick Options

Posted:
Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 am
by KAB26
teK-- wrote:Hey Kab I just saw what car you have in your signature. All those horses could have turned out to be a problem for the poor KU36!
I had the boost setting on low (7psi) which puts out something like 220-260 RWKW depends on whose dyno you believe. There are MANY cars out there with that sort of power, and more, that seem not to have any issues with the Kumho's.
I will give them another go and play with the tyre pressure and see if I can get some better results. If not I will sell them off and get some 'real' track only semi slicks.
Possibly an ignorant question but how much difference would 4-5 psi tyre pressure make on the track, what is the sensititivity range?