Software upgrade ofr ABS system

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Software upgrade ofr ABS system

Postby Q » Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 pm

swingn wrote:
teK-- wrote:How about in high end cars like any of the German big three? I haven't had the experience of driving many of those so perhaps others here could comment.


I've had the chance to drive a fair few Euro cars like VW's, BMW's, etc & have found there ABS functionality to be very similar to the Liberty's.

Remember, the Gen 4 Liberty's were designed to be competition to some of the Euro cars... So the fact they seem to drive in a similar fashion doesn't supprise me one bit :)


Did you not notice how quickly that the brakes would reapply again after the ABS had kicked in? That was the biggest difference I found when I drove a few euro cars (325i, A4, Golf).
Q
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Software upgrade ofr ABS system

Postby Boxer » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Its only a software modification, the braking system on the Subaru's are first class.

They got it right on the 02 STi WRX - have a drive its an awesome ABS program, allows some lock before kicking in and re-applys swiftly

Its catering for the lowest common denomintor I suspect where the average Camry driving (sorry MY10 Lib driving :)) owner does not appreciate any level of skidding
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Software upgrade ofr ABS system

Postby teK-- » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 pm

^^ So are you suggesting that on the 02STi there will be a brief chirp before the pulsating pedal? That is what happens with mine. If I can get the pressure just right the tyre chirp without the pulsations even starting.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
User avatar
teK--
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Software upgrade ofr ABS system

Postby Boxer » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Yes and more complex than that it would allow cetain individual wheel lockups under the right circumstances to aid turn-in and hard cornering. Actually reading the guff - perhaps the system was more advanced than that in the Lib afterall. I didn't realise my old 02 STi have lateral G sensors. I also could get wheel lockups at slow speeds and loose surfaces, and it was far less sensitive to uneven surfaces


Brakes
The STi is fitted with a Brembo-manufactured braking system that includes "Super Sports" ABS and Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD). The front brakes comprise 326mm diameter by 30mm thick ventilated discs with four piston callipers - there are two larger 46mm pistons and two smaller 40mm pistons acting on each side of the disc to promote consistent brake pad wear across the length of the pad. The rear brakes have 316mm diameter by 20mm thick ventilated discs with two piston callipers (each piston measures 36mm). The STi's Super Sports ABS system controls rear braking force individually - via input from a lateral G-force sensor - whereas standard ABS jointly controls both rear brakes to the same braking force. In a hard cornering braking test, under the same conditions, the standard ABS set-up will produce a longer stopping distance and greater cornering understeer than the high-level system in the STi.
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Software upgrade ofr ABS system

Postby swingn » Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 am

Q wrote:
swingn wrote:
teK-- wrote:How about in high end cars like any of the German big three? I haven't had the experience of driving many of those so perhaps others here could comment.


I've had the chance to drive a fair few Euro cars like VW's, BMW's, etc & have found there ABS functionality to be very similar to the Liberty's.

Remember, the Gen 4 Liberty's were designed to be competition to some of the Euro cars... So the fact they seem to drive in a similar fashion doesn't supprise me one bit :)


Did you not notice how quickly that the brakes would reapply again after the ABS had kicked in? That was the biggest difference I found when I drove a few euro cars (325i, A4, Golf).


Can't say I did... They seemed to pull up as good as the Liberty & felt much the same... Even when on the skid pan steering under ABS!

The biggest difference in breaking from Euro to Jap cars (Mind you, not all fit neatly into these groups) is that the Euro cars seem to have rather twitchy pedal feel... IE - Not much pedal application is required.

Jap cars (Porsches fit into this group as well) tend to have a very progressive pedal feel... IE - The harder you put your foot on the pedal the harder it will stop...

Actually, & I'm supprised someone hasn't already mentioned it, I think most of the problem lays with the EBD being too sensitive. Could be wrong, but I think that would explain the majority of what people are talking about.
User avatar
swingn
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Real name: Matt
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

cron