Tyre replacements

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby EJ25 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 pm

MikeeR wrote:Can you share with us where you got the quote for $175 for RE001's? They came out on top in Motor's 2008 tyre test for what it's worth (though there were some very conflicting results).

I'm after some new 18 x 40 x 225's. Tempe quoted $200 for Dunlop Sport Maxx's which is about the best deal I've seen but have not spent alot of time looking as yet. I like the idea of a good wet weather performer and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics apparently perform very well and would be close to my tyre of choice but I'm sure will be expensive.


When i was getting tyres for my Honda Accord Euro, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx were about 170 per corner in 16" form. So get $200 in 18" form IMO would be an absolute steal. I havent really driven the Euro hard enough to tell you whether the sport maxx are a good tyre although i can say Understeer is considerably less. I do believe the SP's are the 'top of the line' street tyre from dunlop.

As for the RE001's, from what i understood, prices were jacked up in the last couple of months. I got the quotes before hand so quotes were from the "before" stock. When i went with a mate for some new adrenalins recently, North Parramatta Bridegstone quoted me $195.
EJ25
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:34 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby toadcat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:21 am

A thing about Eagle F1's... They track really badly...
You will feel every godam imperfection in the road - because the grip on the tyres steers the car :|

It's kinda scarey..
toadcat
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Sydney, 2102
Car: 2002 Subaru Liberty

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby Kevlar GT » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Ok, after much contemplation (and reading of various opinions related to tyre replacement) I have decided to go with the Falken Ziex ZE912's as a replacement tyre. Managed to shop around locally and get the 215/45 R18's (93W) for $239 per tyre fitted (ranged from +$300 down).
Given I don't flog the car and I really want something quiet and that will potentially give me good figures on klm I think these will do the trick. Getting them fitted Saturday and then driving to Sydney Sunday so will hopefully get a good idea of how they go on that trip and in a couple of weeks or so I hope to be able to provide a reasonable report back on the peformance of this particular tyre.

http://www.falken.com.au/tyres/passenger-ZE912.html

Target vehicles - Wide range of vehicles such as sedans, wagons or mini-vans of domestic or import for the sports drive enthusiasts who also demand quiet and comfortable ride. Good for plus sizing users or car fashion pursuers.


Wow, I never thought of me as a car fashion persuer! :D
Last edited by Kevlar GT on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Kevlar GT
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Canberra (Southside of town)
Car: 04 GT Wagon

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby swingn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm running Kumho KU36's & found them to be a very good all around tyre (Well, more performance based, but they are fairly low noise & provide a nice plush ride :D ). Generally fairly low cost as well... For a 225/40 18, I think the current price is around $240ish.

Yokohoma S Drives are apparently a very good tyre as well (Friend of mine was running them on hos Polo GTI), but in regards to price point, they are fairly comparable to the RE050a's... They're just better :D

Tyres can be a very tricky purchase to make. You need to ask yourself what your looking for... Low cost? All around performance? Wet weather performance? etc etc etc... If you can let people know exactly what you're wanting, I'm sure there will be a good option for you :D
User avatar
swingn
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Real name: Matt
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby teK-- » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:47 pm

KU36 are def a track orientated tyre. For everyday use their apparent cheaper purchase price ends up costing more overall when you have to replace them in about 15,000Kms :). As long as this is clear than by all reports everyone has been happy with them as a bang for buck track tyre.

Also I would agree that the Eagle F1s (GSD3) track badly most notably due to the tread pattern. The upside is that they are one of the best wet tyres since they evict water so well.

I've put about 2,000Kms on the Potenza RE-001s now so they are scrubbed. I am totally happy with them as a everyday and spirited driving tyre. The only difference from the RE050A is that they seem a little softer in the sidewall. They were on special at $207.00/tyre 215/45/17 size about a month ago. I am expecting to get around 25-30,000Kms out of them. They periodically go on sale so keep an eye out because the regular price of $250 or so is excessive imho.

Swingn is right on the money re choices though. In the end you can read a million reviews and still buy a tyre that you are not happy with, then you gotta wait for a long time or trash the tyres to justify buying a different set. Once I settle on one type I rarely change unless my usage pattern/budget changes substantially :)
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
User avatar
teK--
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby senator » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:05 am

teK-- wrote:KU36 are def a track orientated tyre


far from track orientated if you read the temp and wear ratings.......... also side walls a not stiff at all,(hence the soft smooth ride) something you really need in a track orientated tyre, they more a pretty close to re 070 IMO
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
User avatar
senator
 
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: SYDNEY

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby teK-- » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:53 am

I'm going by Kumho's description and also community feedback that these are great bang for buck track tyres. They are no RE-01Rs, but then again those tyres aren't that affordable either:

"Designed for SCCA racing that demands high Uniform Tyre Quality
Grades, this incredible tire delivers unrivaled dry grip with split-second
steering response, and its unique footprint is designed to deliver consistent handling performance at high G-forces."
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
User avatar
teK--
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby Q » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:41 pm

teK-- wrote:I'm going by Kumho's description and also community feedback that these are great bang for buck track tyres.


I agree. They are along the same lines as the Falken RT615. Great dry grip with acceptable wet grip. Only downside I have heard about is that they are a little noisy but you can't have everything especially at this price range.
Q
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby senator » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:59 pm

Q wrote:
teK-- wrote:I'm going by Kumho's description and also community feedback that these are great bang for buck track tyres.


I agree. They are along the same lines as the Falken RT615. Great dry grip with acceptable wet grip. Only downside I have heard about is that they are a little noisy but you can't have everything especially at this price range.


RT 615's a r spec tyres...... not road legal i think.

don't get caught up in the marketing crap, look for the wear and temperature rating, all tyres by law must have them.

KU36's we original introduced as an entry level drift tyre, with thread depth on the inside of the tyres being much deeper then the outside, to allow for more chamber.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
User avatar
senator
 
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: SYDNEY

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby teK-- » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Wear and temperature rating is also to be taken with a grain of salt as it differs between each manufacturer and it is no universal unit of measurement. It is only really useful to give an idea of where a particular model sits within one manufacturer's product line.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
User avatar
teK--
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby swingn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:05 pm

R Spec tyres are load legal gents :D Thus why Porsche GT3's & GT2's come with the as standard... Along with a warning that essentially says "Please do not drive hard in the wet" :P

KU36's, although I find are good for the track, are a street performance tyre... &, they wear well, in fact that have a better tread wear rating then the RE050a's.
User avatar
swingn
-stickered-
 
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Real name: Matt
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby Kevlar GT » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Well, got the new rubber fitted today and I am more than happy with them (Falken ZE912). Very quiet and stable and already feel comfy in shite conditions. Will get the highway test tomorrow. For the Canberra guys, Jax quickfit in Fyshwick are tops for service and the price I got on these tyres was about $50 a corner cheaper than anywhere else. I'd recommend them as an option.
Image
User avatar
Kevlar GT
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Canberra (Southside of town)
Car: 04 GT Wagon

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby bugli » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Kevlar GT wrote:Well, got the new rubber fitted today and I am more than happy with them (Falken ZE912). Very quiet and stable and already feel comfy in shite conditions. Will get the highway test tomorrow. For the Canberra guys, Jax quickfit in Fyshwick are tops for service and the price I got on these tyres was about $50 a corner cheaper than anywhere else. I'd recommend them as an option.


Sounds great Kev! Ill keep them in mind - looking forward to hear how they go on the highway
User avatar
bugli
-stickered-
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:43 am
Location: canberra.act.au
Car: MY03 RX
Real name: Michael

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby Adrian2627 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:07 pm

MikeeR wrote:I like the idea of a good wet weather performer ...



I'm currently running Toyo's Proxes 4 which is marketed as an all-weather performance tyre. At first I had trouble getting the pressures sorted but I had also just changed a fair bit with my suspension. Now everything is dialled, suspension and tyre pressures I can say the Toyos are a very good tyre. I've clocked up about 15000ks on them now and while they show wear it's nothing unusual for the roads around here. They've just seen the winter down here and came through very well on the wet and slippery mountain roads, even handled the snow well, get those chains on you Conformadore driving suckers. Price wise they were $210 a corner but you'll probably get them cheaper in the city. They are directional but don't seem to track too badly, you feel it occasionally but nothing overwelming.

Bottom line would I buy them again, yes, good performance for the money in both wet and dry.
Adrian2627
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B
Real name: Adrian

Re: Tyre replacements

Postby nytrojen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:53 pm

Adrian2627 wrote:
MikeeR wrote:I like the idea of a good wet weather performer ...



I'm currently running Toyo's Proxes 4 which is marketed as an all-weather performance tyre. At first I had trouble getting the pressures sorted but I had also just changed a fair bit with my suspension. Now everything is dialled, suspension and tyre pressures I can say the Toyos are a very good tyre. I've clocked up about 15000ks on them now and while they show wear it's nothing unusual for the roads around here. They've just seen the winter down here and came through very well on the wet and slippery mountain roads, even handled the snow well, get those chains on you Conformadore driving suckers. Price wise they were $210 a corner but you'll probably get them cheaper in the city. They are directional but don't seem to track too badly, you feel it occasionally but nothing overwelming.

Bottom line would I buy them again, yes, good performance for the money in both wet and dry.


I've got Toyo Teos - fantastic performance for value. Cost me $195/corner
nytrojen
-stickered-
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests