Due for new pads soon

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Due for new pads soon

Postby cjdexter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 pm

My wrx had slotted rotors all around and on a couple of occasions when I REALLY had to drop the anchor to prevent an accident thanks to some moron, it could almost suck my eyeballs out of my head. Great brakes. Never knew what pads though. I don't do many kms, so from buy to sell I never had to replace them.

Moving on to the liberty... Perhaps it's the extra weight, the callipers, rotors and/or pads, but it's like trying to slow down in a hovercraft. Last service I was told I'll need new pads next service and that's due next month.

From work I can only get Bendix or Ferodo (including our own brand). So it'll only be one of those 2 I'll get (Staff pricing is awesome!). Question is, which one? And which models?

Bendix would probably be ultimates. Not CT, 4 WD and probably not HD. But Ferodo we don't do much of, so I don't know much about the DS pads.

Anyone have any input?

No track work. Just standard driving from the mrs. and a little more spirit from me. "Why get better pads?" I hear you ask? My 3 month old son is why.

Without the brakes the wrx had, we'd have died in a crash when a truck pulled out right in front of me at 100km/h. The 3 cars behind me almost collided with it and shot off the side of the road. So I want the safest option I can get for my family but still keep the dust down.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Black MY07 Liberty GT Spec B Sedan
User avatar
cjdexter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: Northern NSW
Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby ferret89 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm

I've just ordered a set of QFM HPX pads, will have them on with slotted rotors in a few weeks. Apparently they are comparable to the Bendix Ultimates but with lower noise and dust. They were only $79 a pair as well
User avatar
ferret89
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby owen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 am

Ferodo DS series will shit all over the bendix ultimate. I had a set of DS2500. they were great for stopping but really loud
User avatar
owen
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm
Location: Eastern Creek
Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Real name: Owen
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby Aidos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 am

Bendix is okay for standard.
I just upgraded pads to "green stuff"... Great pads for the price!! Noticeable improvement
MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B 5EAT
Wagon Obsidian Black
178kW @ Safe Tune (apparently)


Perrin TMIC | AVO 450 | 3" Magnaflow TBE (i think) | Empty CAT | 3" High Flow Exhaust Resonator | 2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers | APS Hi Flow Air Intake | DW300 Fuel Pump | Stronger Re-built Auto Transmission | Quick Shift Kit | Additional Clutch Plates | JJM Turboworld Tune (Last tune it had) | 20" Unknown Rims | STi Front Lip | STi Gear Knob | STi Lower Arm Bar | STi ECU | STi Braided Brake Lines | Full Lighting Upgraded | Tinted Rear Lights
User avatar
Aidos
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Mt Gambier, SA
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Real name: Aids

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 pm

cjdexter wrote:My wrx had slotted rotors all around and on a couple of occasions when I REALLY had to drop the anchor to prevent an accident thanks to some moron, it could almost suck my eyeballs out of my head. Great brakes. Never knew what pads though. I don't do many kms, so from buy to sell I never had to replace them.

Moving on to the liberty... Perhaps it's the extra weight, the callipers, rotors and/or pads, but it's like trying to slow down in a hovercraft. Last service I was told I'll need new pads next service and that's due next month.

From work I can only get Bendix or Ferodo (including our own brand). So it'll only be one of those 2 I'll get (Staff pricing is awesome!). Question is, which one? And which models?

Bendix would probably be ultimates. Not CT, 4 WD and probably not HD. But Ferodo we don't do much of, so I don't know much about the DS pads.

Anyone have any input?

No track work. Just standard driving from the mrs. and a little more spirit from me. "Why get better pads?" I hear you ask? My 3 month old son is why.

Without the brakes the wrx had, we'd have died in a crash when a truck pulled out right in front of me at 100km/h. The 3 cars behind me almost collided with it and shot off the side of the road. So I want the safest option I can get for my family but still keep the dust down.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2



If you are not doing any track work at all then the Bendix Ultimates are a good pad, they work well from cold and wear well. Their weakness is heat though as they don't pull up as hard after a few high speed stops in succession (as you would have on the track). The DS2500's have a higher designed working temp. They will pull up harder than the Ultimates but need some heat in them to do so. The will also stand up to the punishment of track use a lot longer than the Ultimates. They are loud and dusty though. Hawk XP's are also quite good, somewhere in between the two I would say.

Whichever one you choose I would also suggest draining and replacing the fluid with some good quality DOT4 (as a minimum) at the same time. A decent set of braided lines will also help improve the braking performance.

Personally I think comparing brake performance on a WRX against a Liberty is apples against oranges. They are a different animal altogether as it is not only the brakes but how well the brakes, suspension and tyres as a combination work together that will determine how quick you pull up. Suspension and brakes are always the first two areas I get sorted out before I even consider engine mods. I also have 2 young kids to consider....
User avatar
GT-B Spec R Pilot
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: Canberra, A.C.T.
Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby senator » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 am

You can’t go past Dixcel, especially if wanted something for daily duties and some track fun.

I’ve been through all sorts of brake combos on market and never found anything that worked, either pad was too hard or the rotor was too soft….vice versa.

Dixcel are the only manufacture that offer a pad and rotor combo to suit different styles of driving and budgets.

I’ve used a few different combos and found that the FS DAV heat treated slotted rotor and type Z pads worked great for spirited driving and tracks days on my old 08 tb sti.

Send Michael an email at Garage 88 for pricing to supply and fit.

sales@garage88.com.au
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
User avatar
senator
 
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: SYDNEY

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby cruisn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:41 am

Bendix Ultimates are noisy and super dusty.

And you definitely dont want a pad that needs to get some heat first to work on the street eg the DS2500's

Dixcel are overpriced IMO.

For everyday driving I only fit Hawk Performance Ceramic to mine.
User avatar
cruisn
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY02 GTB E Tune
Real name: Mark

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby Boostaddict » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:35 pm

cruisn wrote:Bendix Ultimates are noisy and super dusty.

And you definitely dont want a pad that needs to get some heat first to work on the street eg the DS2500's

Dixcel are overpriced IMO.

For everyday driving I only fit Hawk Performance Ceramic to mine.



What's the Hawks worth Mark??

My mechanic said quite a few of his customers come with these to be put in???
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
User avatar
Boostaddict
 
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 am
Location: Sydney
Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby cruisn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 pm

I get them out of the US. US$220 + shipping for a f&r Brembo set iirc.
User avatar
cruisn
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY02 GTB E Tune
Real name: Mark

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby dawesy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm

I've just fitted a set of stoptech pads from Jack gtb on here
Big improvement over the previous pads unknown brand .
Not to dusty been a bit noisy on a few cold mornings first time stopping but goes away after first stop.

These with the brake stopper big improvement over stock but while sticking to a budget
User avatar
dawesy
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Location: parramtta area
Car: my05 3.0R-B sedan
Real name: Chris

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby 3rspecb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 pm

cjdexter wrote:From work I can only get Bendix or Ferodo (including our own brand). So it'll only be one of those 2 I'll get (Staff pricing is awesome!). Question is, which one? And which models?
Bendix would probably be ultimates. Not CT, 4 WD and probably not HD. But Ferodo we don't do much of, so I don't know much about the DS pads.
Anyone have any input?


Out of the 2, go with ferodo ds2000 / formula ferodo, very good street pad and better then ultimate's.

DS2500 is an awesome pad, but not suited to all.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY17 SSv Redline
Real name: G

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby cjdexter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm

After reading reviews until I was cross-eyed, I decided to try these Stoptech ones. Everything I've read indicates they're as good as Bendix Ultimates, if not better. They're also supposed to be less dusty and they work out to be pretty much the same price as the B.U.

Anyway, they're getting fitted (and rotors being machined) tomorrow. I'll report back.
Black MY07 Liberty GT Spec B Sedan
User avatar
cjdexter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: Northern NSW
Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby cjdexter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Seems to stop ok.

Haven't had a chance to really check anything yet. My wife drives it everywhere because her car can't fit the baby capsule. At some point when i get to drive it without the young fella in it, i'll be able to tell you more.
Black MY07 Liberty GT Spec B Sedan
User avatar
cjdexter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: Northern NSW
Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby cjdexter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 pm

They were a little bit squeaky (rotors were machined). I took it for a test. Hit the brakes once to simulate an emergency stop and now they squeal more than my 4 month old. Might hit it was a can of stop squeal from work and see what happens.
Black MY07 Liberty GT Spec B Sedan
User avatar
cjdexter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: Northern NSW
Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Due for new pads soon

Postby jakey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:50 pm

To save opening another thread - has anyone any experience with Remsa pads?
GSL can't get the QFm fronts I want and are recommending 'Remsa' as a step up (and and step up in price).

Any feedback regarding these?
-Jakey-UBARU
User avatar
jakey
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Real name: Jake
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

cron