Choosing Replacement Shocks for Daily

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Choosing Replacement Shocks for Daily

Postby CamLiberty » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi everyone,

New poster and I know this is the sort of topic that usually you search for instead of creating a new thread, but I wasn't able to find anything relevant so I thought I'd ask it:

I bought a used 2013 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Premium two months ago at 78kms and I know I'm coming up to replacing the shocks in the near future. I've heard good things about coilovers such as MCA Suspension and Shockworks, however I didn't know if I would feel the advantages of those premium coilovers in a daily driver. Ideally, whatever I replaced them with would give me a more comfortable ride but I'm not looking to get the vehicle tuned to suit the new suspension. The other factor to take into account is the dealer warranty and whether replacing the shocks with non-OEM parts will void any warranties.

I will have a chat to MCA Suspension this week since they're near me in Brisbane and see what they would suggest as well.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
CamLiberty

Car: 2013 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Premium

Re: Choosing Replacement Shocks for Daily

Postby Yowie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Welcome.

For a 2013 vehicle, surely you are past worrying about dealer warranty stuff.

It looks like your options are:

(a) KYB shocks for as-new-from-factory, street comfort, longevity, reasonable price;

(b) coil-overs for tunability, better handling, higher price, shorter life, less comfort.

Ultimately you are the one who is best placed to decide what you want/need.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby CamLiberty » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:02 pm

Thanks for your reply, Yowie.

The dealer I used cover their vehicles for everything except consumables for 2 years after purchase, conditional on getting the vehicle serviced with them for those 2 years.

With those points in mind, KYB shocks sound like a better choice in terms of comfort and longevity. I don't really thrash the car and the longest trip I've made in it so far is from Brisbane to the Sunny Coast, but a softer commute would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Yowie :)
CamLiberty

Car: 2013 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Premium

Postby LibertyTragic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:15 am

I have a set of the MCA street series in my 2010 Lib GT and just note that like pretty much all coilover options they are firmer than stock and NVH in the vehicle increases noticeably due to metal top hats.

Don’t get me wrong, the MCAs are comfortable for coilovers and handle brilliantly, but there are definite sacrifices over stock shocks and springs.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby aySKE » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:54 pm

I ran KYB for fronts on my gen5 GT for at least a year after the dreaded billy knock. The suspension was just as firm I think due to the spring rate but they were perfectly fine at a very good price... about 200/e from my mobile mech.
aySKE

Postby Stifull » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am

I have TEIN street series on my gt and they are awesome. They totally do away with the need for the expensive long list of Whiteline goodies. I have full whiteline setup, sways, links, ALK, bushes, strut brace etc on my WRX and although it's much more nimble because of power and weight the GT gets around corners just as quick. The TEIN take a while to warm up in the morning, about 3-4 minutes. Until their warm the tyres scrub but ones warm they don't scrub even with others on board. So although they are expensive, they are a total suspension solution, with the added bonus that you can set up camber and comfort and ride height to your liking.

Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby ICE_BM » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:42 pm

Has anyone tried HSD coilovers for their genIV genV?
Particularly interested in place of Bilstein on a specB
ICE_BM

Car: Lib 3RB Wagon MY08; OB MY06 2.5 5sp

Postby Stifull » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:20 am

My son recently had MCA street series fitted to his 99 model Ver6 Sti and although he loves them they are too hard for my liking. They were around $2.5 plus a day to fit.
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:57 am

Some genV members here have had success with struts from Koni, Cusco and Bilstein, if you use your current springs you’ll maintain your current ride height.
Bear in mind most lowering springs are made for GT & H6, vehicles that are heavier at the front.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.