All Things Tyres (Work in Progress)

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

All Things Tyres (Work in Progress)

Postby Turbo Lag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Intending for this thread to be a contemporary reference for all things tyres, with some considerations about our Libertys. Still a work in progress.

There are plenty of questions on both here and the FB page about tyre recommendations, so lets take a look at the current market today, and what's out there.

I'll include my personal recommendations as I've tried plenty of different tyres in varying conditions. Everything written here is pure opinion and has little basis in actual fact - everyone will have their own opinion and that is ok. This a bit of a personal log too as I don't want to forget all my past experiences.

I'll keep the most commonly asked questions at the top in very plain terms to keep things simple, and go down into more details towards the bottom.

===

How tyres can differ.

Everyone has a specific use case and expects something different from tyres. Some are after the fastest tyre with the most outright grip, with little regard to anything else, and others want a long-lasting street tyre that is comfortable.

Tyres can be measured on quite a few different attributes and characteristics, mainly being (in no specific order, as we all value different things):
1. Dry grip
2. Wet grip
3. Longevity (Treadwear, loosely)
4. Road noise
5. Ride quality/stiffness
6. Fitment
7. Looks
8. Price/Value
9. Availability (+sizes)
10. Driving feel
11. Offroad capability

These are some of the things I'll try to cover, where relevant, in each section.

===

Recommendations:

I don't know what I want. I just want something good at everything and still has some grip.
1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4
2. Bridgestone RE003
3. Bridgestone S007A
4. Yokohama ADVAN V105
5. Anything with a reasonable price range, and name brand

Generally a tough question to answer as everyone has their own use case, however in my opinion, the Michelin PS4 blows everything out of the water for an all round tyre. It's the one to go for if you don't know and don't care for tyres. They have excellent dry and wet grip for a dedicated street tyre, offer very reasonable longevity, comfort and overall value. They can be found just about everywhere, and in many sizes, at very reasonable prices even if not on sale. With Michelin's ocassional 4 for 3 or cashback deals, they are of unbeatable value. If I was forced to have just 1 tyre, I'd take these. Alternatively, Bridgestone RE003, Bridgestone S007A and Yokohama Advan V105 (both of which I have not tried respectively) also pose reasonable value solutions to a lesser extent. The RE003 only beats the Michelin PS4 on pure price as they are often found on 4 for 3 deals, and are usually outright cheaper regardless. This comes at a cost of every single characteristic except availability/price, where they definitely still do pose a value proposition, but only if significantly cheaper than Michelin PS4. Else, just about any reasonable name brand on the market offers plenty of solutions which will probably suit you just fine. Just don't pay too much.

I want something that lasts forever.
1. Pirelli Dragon Sport
(not enough experience)

I want a lot of grip on the road, but still want to daily my car.

1. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R
2. Hankook RS4
3. Nankang NS2R 180TW/KUMHO V720
4. Michelin Pilot Sport 4

There are 2 main stand outs here, being the AD08R and RS4, both of which are very compelling choices. The AD08R is relatively expensive, however you do get what you pay for, even with a now dated tyre. It is probably the best 'hybrid' tyre on the market that can be used both on street and track, with the RS4 coming in at a close second for different reasons. If you don't know what you want and just want a tried and tested performance oriented tyre, these two are your main options. The AD08R offers very good amounts of pure dry grip, and is still passable in the wet, albeit not great compared to any typical street tyre. What you gain in grip, is what you lose in ride comfort due to their stiff sidewall. They are available basically anywhere and come in a whole range of different sizes, and longevity is quite long compared to other counterparts. Another note about this tyre is that it sits a little wider than most others in the same size, ie. the tread width is almost a size up compared to a typical tyre, this is something to note in case you want to go wider. The RS4 is a brilliant value proposition if you want the AD08R but can't afford it. It is essentially a cut price AD08R that offers similar performance, but has a few other issues instead. Longevity can be great, and these tyres can last you forever in terms of tread depth - however, they tend to lose grip heavily over time, well before the tread depth is completely lost. They also have a softer sidewall making it not so great for outright performance on a heavier car (from what I have heard). For the price, they definitely have great value and would be a great buy if you are aware of what you're missing out on.

The next on the list are budget options at lower price points, but again, you seem to get what you pay for. I include the NS2R and V720 next as they both strike me as very similar. They both offer outstanding dry grip levels, with the V720 probably being at an even higher threshold than the AD08R. Both are not great in the rain, but passable, less so than the AD08R. Ride comfort is OK - a lot less harsh than the AD08R but road noise becomes an issue instead. Longevity looks to be the biggest caveat with these two budget options - the V720 lasted under 5000kms on street(!!!). Whilst I haven't had the NS2R for long enough to comment, I suspect they will suffer a similar fate. It is tough to recommend both as even though they are cheaper, they do not offer as much value as the top dogs. However if 'pure driving' were a stat - these two would top the charts for me. They are both very enjoyable, and perfectly communicative tyres on street with the right balance of liveability except longevity. If longevity was sorted out, they would demolish the top two options here.

===

Tyres I've personally tried/have solid sources on:
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Bridgestone RE050A
Bridgestone RE002
Bridgestone RE003
Bridgestone S001A
KUMHO V720
Hankook RS4
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R
Nankang NS2R 180TW
Nankang AR1 80TW
Falken FK513
Continental ContiMaxContact MC5
Continental SportContact 5
Pirelli Dragon Sport
Pirelli P1 Cinturato
Pirelli P7
Pirelli PZero Nero

On my list to try:
Zestino Gredge 07RS
Nankang NS2R 120TW
Bridgestone RE71RS
Bridgestone RE71R
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Michelin Pilot Cup Sport (any variant)
Yokohama ADVAN V105
Bridgestone S007A
Last edited by Turbo Lag on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '96 Honda CBR250RR MC22
Turbo Lag

Car: 04 2.5i & 08 TBSTI & Altezza
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36287

Re: All Things Tyres (Work in Progress)

Postby Turbo Lag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

(Reserved for individual recommendation)
'04 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack Sedan 5MT & '08 Subaru Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI Wagon 6MT & '00 Toyota Altezza RS200-Z 6MT & '96 Honda CBR250RR MC22
Turbo Lag

Car: 04 2.5i & 08 TBSTI & Altezza
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36287

Re: All Things Tyres (Work in Progress)

Postby Kimmo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 am

Nice one, thanks
Kimmo

Car: 07 GT-B

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.