Bushing Refresh on Gen 4 GT Wagon

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Bushing Refresh on Gen 4 GT Wagon

Postby JB25 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Jared those rear bushes sound like a biatch. I am not sure I mentioned it but when Fulcrum did mine one of the rear bushes (they called it 'Toe Arm') had siezed to the arm and they couldn't press it out with the 10 tonne press. In the end they squished the bush holder out of round and had to cut the old bush out and repair the arm so it would receive and hold the bush properly. The labour was bloody dear but I am glad I didn't attempt it myself without another daily.

Yeah I did see a mention of that. The Toe arms are the lower rears that you can see when standing behind the car.

I did have some trouble getting the inner ones out too as the outer shells on the originals were so thin that they could actually stretch if what you were pressing them with was even slightly too small. Took me a good hour to get them out, but it was nothing compared to getting the upper arms back together. The bushes for the outside of the lower arms are actually part of the knuckle assembly, these were relatively easy, though I couldn't use the press. Due to space restrictions with the knuckle, I had to use the threaded rods with nuts instead in my bush removal kit and a socket from my half inch socket set as the bush removal cups don't go small enough, which was also part of the issue removing the inner bushes.
On a side note, I'm surprised a bunch of pros only had a 10 ton press, the one I just bought was only $450 was 20 ton & it's the premium type with the large ram & a pressure gauge. The most I saw pressing out all of my Bushes was about 7 tonnes.
JB25

Car: MY07 GT-B

Postby JB25 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 am

Well it's finally all done. Major job but oh what a difference!

You feel so much more connected to the road with the poly bushes. I no longer feel like I don't know what the car is going to do, though I did notice some lateral movement a couple times on rough roads I blame the excessive stiffness of the stock Bilstein setup making the car bounce and skip the surface too much.

The car still feels quite understeery in nature, though I haven't pushed it enough to find out what would happen for sure. I am hoping my impending delivery of whiteline swaybars will help fix this.

Overall vs paying someone to do this job if you include the cost of the press, paint and bush removal kit, I spent about $1300. However I did already have the bush removal kit so it was more like $1100 and next time will cost me a lot less. So a lot of hard work but imo it was worth it especially since I could take my time to make all the arms look nice.

One other note. The kit I was supplied had an old type bush kit for the Front LCA bushes on the rear of the arms. This didn't come with any washers to put above the bush. My advise on this would be not to accept this kit as the bushes will not be properly compressed in place meaning excessive suspension movement. The reason for this is the crush tube will compress on the step of the shank, but the bush is too large and butts up against the underside of the chassis instead.
I ended up getting my supplier to get the correct washers and I am glad I did.

Also on my car the main bushes that were worn out were the same Front lower LCA bushes and also the inner rear toe arm bushes, which ironically Superpro don't supply. I also noted some wear on the rear lower control arms, but they were in good enough condition to use for probably another 50,000km or so. My car has done 126,000kms just for reference.
JB25

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Jared good info and good to hear it is done!

I am envious you have earned a quality press out of funds that would have otherwise gone to labour. It is one of my favourite things to do starting a project and buying a quality tool with the money I save on labour and still coming out in front.

I personally didn't like the front swaybar. I fitted a whiteline and ended up selling it but see what you think. In a wagon the rear swaybar upgrade makes a noticeable difference in reducing roll, especially on stiff setting.

Your point on the LCA bush washers is interesting one. Someone on the forums suggested that installing a washer may enhance anti-lift and because I noticed a picture of a washer/shim on the website I queried this with Fulcrum. They confidently said no that is incorrect, yours does not use the washer/shim. Apparently Superpro have consolidated their kits to cover numerous models so the shim is included for some applications but not the Liberty so they don't fit it. I would like to see the specs on your wheel alignment to compare, especially on the caster. The steering on mine feels better, definately more oversteer but waiting to test on some twisty roads without the 2yr old in the back.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby JB25 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Hey Shaheenis,

Yeah it is always good to get more toys. If I thought I wouldn't use it again it would have been a bit hard to justify, but I have at least 1 more car to do some time in the near future.

The wheel alignment in regards to Castor was pretty normal at 5.41 and 5.32 degrees with the normal range being between 5 and 6.3 . Personally I find it more than sufficient for a daily. What the figures don't show is how much more you feel the irregularities in the road because of how firm the bushes are. It's more than enough castor for a daily and actually causes a fair bit more steering kick back on occasion. This appears to be because they are no longer relieved bushes. Still I'd rather have a bit of kickback than suffer the mush that was the stock bushes.

I actually went to install the front whiteline bar last week only to find one of the included mounting bushes was the wrong size. Eagerly awaiting a replacement part that is on it's way.
JB25

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.