Springs vs Coilovers

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Springs vs Coilovers

Postby legalis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi Guys
I have a 2014 Liberty GT, looking at lowering its stance, primarily to make it look more aggressive. Couple options been given to me are 30mm King Springs ($440 fitted) and STD Stand Coil-overs ($1350 fitted). My friends say you might as well install coil-overs for the added benefit of adjustability and performance. What are peoples opinions, and what about the STD brand? I am in WA. Cheers
MY14 2014 Liberty GT Premium
legalis

Car: 2014 GT Premium

Re: Springs vs Coilovers

Postby shav » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:38 am

If you are considering coilvers, look at BC BR's, Kido or Shockworks.

By the sounds of it you just want the stance and arent worried about the performance factor. Springs will do just that. Bear in mind your ride comfort will be reduced.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby legalis » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 pm

Cheers Shav. That's probably my worry. It is pretty much the stance I want to change, but a mate warned me that with springs, the Liberty's are known to look a bit weird with springs (something bout front still looking higher than back) so the adjust-ability of the coil-overs are needed, plus the car is a daily driver so comfort is important. I always thought coil-overs were less comfortable than springs? I would hate to put $500 dollar springs into my car and hate it lol. Does anyone know who to talk to in WA regarding the mentioned coils? (BC BR's, Kido, Shockworks)
MY14 2014 Liberty GT Premium
legalis

Car: 2014 GT Premium

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:16 am

It's the old choice triangle. Performance, comfort, and price; you get to pick two. Performance and comfortable is going to cost you, cheap and comply isn't going to perform, cheap and performance insn't going to be comfortable. What you want to achieve is doable but it'll depend if you want to do it properly. If you want to keep it all legal then a good set of springs from Syms or Prova would be the go. Both are designed for specific models with factory dampers and give you a 25mm (F) and 20mm (R) drop. Even though they are designed for JDM dampers they still work well with Australian models which are slightly softer damping. This will even the car out and give it a more aggressive stance, sharpened handling, and maintain ride comfort.
If you want to go lower, which isn't a good idea on factory dampers, then coil overs it is but bare in mind you will need supporting mods to correct suspension geometry to make the car handle correctly.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby shav » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 am

^^^ What Adrian said.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.