Hi,
After a long hiatus, I'm back on the site - sadly with a small problem on my 08, 49,000k 3.0 SpecB Wagon
Oct 11, I had my last service before warranty. Having mentioned a knocking coming from the front end on full lock then, and the service before 1 year earlier, the power steering pump was replaced (for a second time). It seemed to settle down, but some 4-5 months later, it was noticed again. My next service shortly before 2012 Christmas, and I mentioned the knocking again.
New front end bushes, and new power steering fluid (apparently it was a bit burnt!) seemed good from the start, but on the way home from 1400km round trip towing a jetski - the problem returns only much more severely. It was signifcantly more noticable when the car was "warm" and towing, and once again on full lock - in either direction. A loud clonking.
So, off to the dealer again some 2 weeks after the service, for a check, booked in and the problem this time was that one of the "rear" struts is "bent". We paid for some labour on the day (which in hindsight we shouldn't have, given all they did should have been done 2 weeks earlier at the service) but besides that, they have offered to replace the "damaged" strut (not the pair even!!!) , but we still have to pay for labour. So: one strut free, the other at $450(!!) and $210 labour, for what may not be the issue.
The thing is, from my searches, I'm not convinced it's the solution? Can a rear strut, when loaded lead to a knocking that you can feel through the steering? People on here seem to think these sort of problems could be a front diff ?
The issue I have, is that I've been noting this at the dealer for a fair while and will argue that they should be sorting this? It's just a pain in the arse - back and forth. To their credit the front end staff have been helpful, but it seems my wife and I are copping a bit of their BS.
Firstly: If I have to replace the rear struts at that price, am I better off just replacing all 4 elsewhere?
Secondly: Could it be a front diff and how do I make them check it - you need to open it to know right?
Any help would be appreciated before I call the dealer. THanks in advance
