Cobb Tuning Subaru Legacy GT SF Intake

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Cobb Tuning Subaru Legacy GT SF Intake

Postby gordy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Hey Guys,

Im looking at improving the intake before I get my new turbo bolted on and tuned. Initially I wasn't that keen on an intake, but after talking to Pulse I think the noise is going to be worth the gain.

I like the look of the hyperflow CAI that sits in the guard, but I'm a little worried about water getting in. There is a road near my house that quite often floods a little when it rains (think deep puddles). Since NSW is broke I cant imagine this getting fixed anytime this century. I'm also worried about how effective its going to be in the guard. I considered getting a plastic welder to put a little air duct in the plastic cover for the front bar but thats going to all end up costing a few $$'s.

Apart from the AVO, I don't really see anything else in Australia so ive been looking overseas. Does anyone see why the Cobb Tuning Subaru Legacy GT SF Intake wont fit (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/t ... acy/Detail). It comes with the MAF pipe too so all up its not a bad deal. Im just wondering if anyone can see a reason why it wont fit (given that it was designed for USDM). Or is there another option I've missed?

Thanks in adv...

Gordon
Parting out....
gordy

Car: MY07 GT-B Manual

Re: Cobb Tuning Subaru Legacy GT SF Intake

Postby senator » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:43 pm

regarding the duct, save your self the issue of trying to plastic weld a vent into the bumper, have you considered ducting the air from around the fog light surrounds? The plastic grill around the fog light can be drilled to draw air into the guard. Also i don't think water will be an issue with our cars, as the inner guards a well sealed by the under body pan......imo

btw also check out silly sore intake which is posted in the mods sections.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby gordy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks, I cant see the pics in sillysore's thread (too small). Might send him a PM later though.

I agree that there is little chance of water getting in, but it still worries me, if you had the turbo spooled up and you got a decent splash of water in the wheel arch then surely you do run the risk. I guess one positive is that you could probably dynamat the wheel arch to quiet it down a little, although I guess you could do that with the cobb aswell....
Parting out....
gordy

Postby smythie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am

I'm yet to be convinced that any gains will be seen from sucking air from the inner guard. One day I'll get some instrumentation into my air intake and see whether there is any reduction in pressure drop or if there is any increase in intake temperature...
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby dwayne » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:56 am

smythie wrote:I'm yet to be convinced that any gains will be seen from sucking air from the inner guard. One day I'll get some instrumentation into my air intake and see whether there is any reduction in pressure drop or if there is any increase in intake temperature...

FYi I'm betatesting the new ECUDataScan at the moment and it reports those figures.

Dwayne

Car: MY07 OBP 6MT GTBSTi

Postby smythie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 pm

the numbers I'm interested in would be:
- pressure and temperature differentials between the outside atmosphere and the engine bay,
- pressure and temperature differentials between the outside atmosphere and the intake near the butterfly with stock intake,
- pressure and temperature differentials between the outside atmosphere and the intake near the butterfly with an inner guard "cold air" intake
- pressure and temperature differentials between the outside atmosphere and the inlet of the stock air intake duct
- pressure and temperature differentials between the inlet to the airbox and the outlet of the airbox

I'd be looking to get these numbers on both hot and cold days (no wind), at a set speed of 60km/h for example on the same piece of flat, traffic free road
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby cpitts » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:04 pm

gordy wrote:Thanks, I cant see the pics in sillysore's thread (too small). Might send him a PM later though.

I agree that there is little chance of water getting in, but it still worries me, if you had the turbo spooled up and you got a decent splash of water in the wheel arch then surely you do run the risk. I guess one positive is that you could probably dynamat the wheel arch to quiet it down a little, although I guess you could do that with the cobb aswell....

You realise that cutting the side out of the front half of the airbox will achieve this same 'cool air' result?

Also keeps the noise to a reasonable minimum AND you actually get excellent filter surface area. Ultimately, the reason to move to a pod is:
1. Increase venturi effect reducing intake resistance as air is sucked into the turbo (side effect is that the MAF can't read the air volume correctly, leading to air mixture issues.
2. Increase surface area of filter (on most pod filters, a high flow filter will resolve this)
3. Increasing MAF pipe diameter (again significant ECU updates required to suit new MAF sensor, etc)

So, what power number are you aiming for that dictates the above requirements??
cpitts

Postby gordy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:52 pm

Hoping for 220Kw ATW, from what I read the turbo will probably be out of breath beyond this. Of course its the torque that really matters though.

Cutting the airbox isnt a great option for me. I really want to keep all mods legal. No sealed airbox is a no-no in NSW. Im also looking at fitting it before my tune, so ECU changes aren't a big issue. Adam at Pulse did say that a panel filter will make a difference, but he also said its not going to be as much as a pod/cai setup, thats whats lead me to look at one of these.
Parting out....
gordy

Postby Gambit » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Did you end up getting the airbox?

I highly recommend the Cobb tuning airbox, as it accepts the stock intake snorkel and is generally a pretty easy install, anyhow here is a video of an install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAah5rtGFO8
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby rooby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Gambit:

I'm looking at getting the Cobb air box, did you get yours direct from Cobb or from a dealer somewhere in Australia?
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby Gambit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm

rooby wrote:Gambit:

I'm looking at getting the Cobb air box, did you get yours direct from Cobb or from a dealer somewhere in Australia?

I got mine from Jay Racing in the states:
http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main ... th=154_153

plus postage and with the AUD at the moment, they are a bargain ! :D
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby rooby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Cool thanks, I just placed my order :D

First (and not last) mod for my new car.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby thiele » Sun May 11, 2014 10:32 pm

How did the install go?
Does the buttdyno approve?!
05' Liberty GT Wagon 2.0L - Cobb Air Intake, TCP auto custom Quad Tips, Kido Tune, Liberty Spec B 18" rims, Spec B taillights.
thiele

Car: 05' Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Austin939 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:46 pm

I also want to know as im looking at buying it now

Any power increases?
Austin939

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Spec-B MY08
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26824

Return to 2.5T engine specific