Engine light on with flashing cruise control light

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby Boxer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:13 pm

No I'm not blaming the brand of mod either, its been found before that aftermarket dumps can play with the smart ECU/02 sensor relationships. I think there are others out there who have had the CEL with all kinds of dumps (no idea if they had the same code as you)

Agree with gumbyy above - The way the explanation reads for your error code - it points more towards the sensor being able to detect the cat not working within spec of the expected values in the ECU.

Probably doing no harm to performance but perhaps emmisions??
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby GTSPECB STI » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 pm

I would be checking the gasket where the dump connects to the turbo. Good practice to get a new gasket when installing a new DP. In older model subaru's it has been quite common for them to throw CEL's when DP is installed without a tune. I had my car tuned the same day they installed by Phat DP and I have never thrown a CEL once in over 6 months now.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Boxer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Actually just had another thought - didn't you say you have been getting the occasional backfire after installing the dump?

Air leaks in the front part of the exhaust are a good recipe for backfires - so it could be a leak after all. (maybe the gasket as GTSPECB suggests

Boxer

Postby blacknwhite » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Touch wood , I have got the Phat treatment all the way , no tune (will be doing soon ) and apart from using half of Saudi's yearly output no warning lights so would check the install
good luck
GT spec B MY07
Black/White interior
blacknwhite
-stickered-

Postby gtspec » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:54 am

GTSPECB STI - you might be onto something.. when i installed the DP i just reused the gasket..

boxer - you may also be right.. my car was backfire more then usual once the DP was installed.. so that might show more evidence there is a leak from the gasket.. maybe i better replace it to make sure.. any idea where i can source i good gasket from?

also 1 more thing.. the previous owner had the car retuned by MRT.. i only noticed after i bought the car as there were MRT power kit stickers everywhere around the engine bay and in the fuel cap.. so that could be adding to the issues..
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Postby Boxer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:20 am

gtspec wrote:also 1 more thing.. the previous owner had the car retuned by MRT.. i only noticed after i bought the car as there were MRT power kit stickers everywhere around the engine bay and in the fuel cap.. so that could be adding to the issues..

More than likely!!!! (I thought you didn't have a tune?)

Good info to know before. What sort of tune?

Boxer

Postby gtspec » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:19 am

Boxer wrote:
gtspec wrote:also 1 more thing.. the previous owner had the car retuned by MRT.. i only noticed after i bought the car as there were MRT power kit stickers everywhere around the engine bay and in the fuel cap.. so that could be adding to the issues..

More than likely!!!! (I thought you didn't have a tune?)

Good info to know before. What sort of tune?

im not 100% if i do or dont..
i bought the car 2nd hand and the seller never mentioned anything to me.. i discovered MRT stickers saying "tuned to 98 oct"in the fuel lid.. another sticker in the eng bay "tuned by MRT with power XA kit", also has a ECUtek sticker in the engine bay and in the log book it has a MRT Rhodes stamp for the last service.. so im just assuming from that it has a MRT tune.. but im not 100%, it could just be a case of the guy just putting stickers on the car.. :?
gtspec

Postby senator » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:03 pm

adam before you fork out the $$$$$ for o2 sensor, try repalcing the harness.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby Boxer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Certainly sounds like its got an ECUtek stage one. Only way to know for sure is ask MRT.

Unless the seller sold the ECUtek'd ECU to someone else and swapped back to standard then I'd say its reflashed.

I'd also be talking to MRT about your CEL (they are also likely to blame the DP if not fitted before the tune)

Boxer

Postby Arith » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:14 am

Adam, I've contacted Phat in regards to this, and he'll check it out when he returns. He's currently overseas on an emergency business trip and should be back in a few days.

In the meantime he's 100% pretty certain it's got nothing to do with the dump or the cat (the cats used in the dumps are high quality and would not fail like that). A leaking gasket or the car running a tad rich perhaps (especially after you got the Phat mufflers fitted it might be running a bit more rich).

If I remember correctly, you've had the dump pipe for almost 6 months now. Have you had any issues during that time? Seems weird the dump would suddenly cause this issue. Hope it's a straight forward fix!

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Boxer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:20 am

Jim,

I'd be pretty confident its not the Dump itself - just pointing out that MRT are likley to do just as Subaru would - Blame the first non-standard article if the dump wasn't fitted prior to their flash

Boxer

Postby Arith » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Boxer wrote:just pointing out that MRT are likley to do just as Subaru would - Blame the first non-standard article if the dump wasn't fitted prior to their flash

Cheers Pete. I know. My post was more in response to Subaru's reply to Adam on what's going on with the CEL. I mentioned it to Phat and he asked me to reiterate that it's an issue pretty much not related to his dump pipe in case anyone had doubts about his product. :D And you're right. I don't see MRT as being any different on their reply

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby gtspec » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:30 am

hey Jim, thanks for checking with Phat on his opinion.. and dont worry as i mentioned earlier i never doubted his DP.. more the installation (peformed by me) with leaking issues around the gasket or a issue with the tune.. completely not a fault with his product

look forward to hearing from him when he returns.. im stuck as subaru wont touch it and just looking for any opinion before i start replacing parts trying to figure out the issue :)
gtspec

Postby GT25 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Have had these symptoms in my unmodded MY07 GT manual. 3 times each about 4 months apart.

Lights on and flashing as described and not resetting.

Took Sydney Subaru 3 goes to fix it. They reckoned it was a vacuum hose not sealed properly. Sorry dunno which one.

Greg
MY07 GT Spec B Wagon; 6MT; Obsidian/Beige
GT25

Car: MY07 GT Spec B 6MT Wagon

Postby gtspec » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 am

GT25 wrote:Have had these symptoms in my unmodded MY07 GT manual. 3 times each about 4 months apart.

Lights on and flashing as described and not resetting.

Took Sydney Subaru 3 goes to fix it. They reckoned it was a vacuum hose not sealed properly. Sorry dunno which one.

Greg

Thanks for that input Greg, i think if any sensor goes off the car will have the same symptoms.. i believe its a way to make u take the car to subaru to look at the error code it logs.. did they happen to tell you the error code?
gtspec

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific