Would you do this mod?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby cpitts » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:54 pm

coyote wrote:
cpitts wrote:3 port boost solenoid (~$175) [EBC is better]

Why do you think that?

2 port is sufficient for the level of upgrade he is talking, then with the option of an ECU controlled 3 port, you couldn't pay me to use an EBC.

More expensive is not always better.

2 port is too slow to respond and control boost spikes. It also tapers off boost rather heavily, leaving you with a lot lower boost at peak rpm than the system can support.

3 port responds faster and allows you to control the boost spikes MUCH better/faster than a 2 port. The 3 port also has the ability to hold boost better at higher rpm, so you can make the most of you setup.

EBCs respond even faster and can be tuned (typically) independantly at 500rpm intervals. So, your target boost levels are very tunable and enforceable. While the factory ECU can offer some of these features, the improved stepper motor used to control boost and smarter electronics around it allow tighter and faster control, which is ultimately what you're after. But I see EBC as being lower value (bang for buck) given that the factory VF turbo isn't responding at a blinding rate.
If I had AVO turbo I'd move to an EBC as the response speeds would be faster than 3 port would be able to deal with.
cpitts

Postby coyote » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Sorry, but half of that is true and half is just internet rumour spread by those who sell EBCs.

Possum Bourne Motorsport could put anything in the world on their 800hp hill climb car, but they use a standard Subaru 3 port solenoid.

Anything you've read to suggest an EBC is superior, is just marketing bullshit.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby cpitts » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 pm

coyote wrote:Sorry, but half of that is true and half is just internet rumour spread by those who sell EBCs.

Possum Bourne Motorsport could put anything in the world on their 800hp hill climb car, but they use a standard Subaru 3 port solenoid.

Anything you've read to suggest an EBC is superior, is just marketing bullshit.

All 3 statements were based on hard data I've seen and put in place on my own cars.

I'm not speaking from 'internet bullshit'.

EBC's give you tighter control. And the Prodrive WRC car that Possum owned and drove was pretty far from 'factory' stock.

EDIT: Can I ask where your information about PB's setup came from?
EDIT 2: Happy for others to use whatever method they want to tune their cars. Just trying to add in my personal experience here (as always). Up until recently on this forum, there seemed to be an attitude that changing the ECU was unnecessary which is also contrary to my beliefs. Ultimately, it's up to what the person believes when they outlay their cash, I'm just trying to help people given my personal experiences.
cpitts

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific