Boost Controller and Ecutek

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Boost Controller and Ecutek

Postby SillySora » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:55 pm

Has Anyone done this at all and if so what did they use.

Thinking of getting a boost controller, does this still tune with the ecutek or what happens any help please :P.

Don't want to drive around if it is always running rich and or on lots of boost.
SillySora

Car: My 08 Liberty

Postby senator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:02 pm

boost controller and a tune has been done,

its the safest option to running higher then stock boost.

can be done with ecutek.

have done the hks evc, still wanting on a tune, but its been a worth while mod :lol: :lol:
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby swingn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:23 pm

You'll have no problems running ECUtek or Open Source with a after market boost controller.

Just need to make sure the tuner knows how to use your boost controller :P
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby Spec B Wgn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:37 pm

unless your running >200 kws ATW the stock boost controller in conjunction with Ecutek will be fine..

dont waste your money.. the OEM gear is fine
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby SillySora » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Was Looking at getting a apex one or something like that. Was looking at the 200 mark or so.
SillySora

Postby coyote » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:36 pm

What do you want to achieve with the aftermarket controller?

I think you are better off letting the ecu control boost, but there may be something in particular that precludes you from doing that.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby Boxer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:06 pm

+1 I would rather the ECU control boost through the stock setup unless there is a specific need for a sepearte controller (other than being able to place the lovely marketing sticker on the front flanks of your car)

Having the ECU in control and its calculations and resulting outputs being meaningful is easier setup through a stock setup and ECU tune.

Otherwise you will really need someone who understands how the two will interact to get the best out of it. I know its been done with success, but choose installer/tuner wisely
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby SillySora » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Hmm also had a thought what about nos if i go that far and yeah only want a boost controler for the 1/4mile is all.

Thanks for the info
SillySora

Postby CJ1177 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:44 pm

coyote wrote:What do you want to achieve with the aftermarket controller?

I think you are better off letting the ecu control boost, but there may be something in particular that precludes you from doing that.

I know I would achieve a smoother boost response & have better control of the boost with out spiking :) this becomes more apparent with the more boost you run.
I can easily change the level of boost at will mostly important when you leave the car with the service dept or valet parking. or on the recent HOT days, it is most important to be able to drop the boost at will. you need the confidence that you can put your foot flat to the floor & know that its not going to ping.
MY05 GT Wagon, Atalantic Blue [Team Tein] [Club Two Zero]

CJ's Wagon Pics
CJ1177

Car: MY05 GT 5MT

Postby Boxer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:09 pm

CJ1177 wrote:
coyote wrote:What do you want to achieve with the aftermarket controller?

I know I would achieve a smoother boost response & have better control of the boost with out spiking :) this becomes more apparent with the more boost you run.
I can easily change the level of boost at will mostly important when you leave the car with the service dept or valet parking. or on the recent HOT days, it is most important to be able to drop the boost at will. you need the confidence that you can put your foot flat to the floor & know that its not going to ping.

If you have a decent tuner most of this can be acheived - especially the pinging on hot days, no good tune should ping. In fact in some cases it can be BECAUSE you have a boost controller that the engine is pinging

On some tuning products (like EzyFlash) you can even have your 'valet' mode
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby overl0ad » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 pm

dunno about in NSW, but in VIC, a boost controller is what the coppers look for once they pull a turbo car over...

it's technically illigal to have a boost controller which isn't factory fitted (in the case of the post MY07s)
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 am

overl0ad wrote:dunno about in NSW, but in VIC, a boost controller is what the coppers look for once they pull a turbo car over...

it's technically illigal to have a boost controller which isn't factory fitted (in the case of the post MY07s)

Don't know about the legality of having one installed, but that's why my boost controller is in my glove box & all my gauges can be covered / hidden :D

"I swear, I just put big wheels & cannons on my car officer" :P
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby senator » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:34 am

overl0ad wrote:dunno about in NSW, but in VIC, a boost controller is what the coppers look for once they pull a turbo car over...

anything that allows to you to make changes to the running of vehicle whilst in motion is regarded to be illegal…. I have been questioned about my greddy touch……..
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby gtspec » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 am

senator wrote:anything that allows to you to make changes to the running of vehicle whilst in motion is regarded to be illegal…. I have been questioned about my greddy touch……..

SI drive can change the running of the vehicle whilst in motion :lol:
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Postby smythie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:47 am

gtspec wrote:
senator wrote:anything that allows to you to make changes to the running of vehicle whilst in motion is regarded to be illegal…. I have been questioned about my greddy touch……..

SI drive can change the running of the vehicle whilst in motion :lol:

Not to mention the various sport/race settings that are built into sports cars or the engine mapping selection buttons on some sports bikes these days. :lol:
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific