Boost Controller and Ecutek

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby senator » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 am

smythie wrote:
gtspec wrote:
senator wrote:anything that allows to you to make changes to the running of vehicle whilst in motion is regarded to be illegal…. I have been questioned about my greddy touch……..

SI drive can change the running of the vehicle whilst in motion :lol:

Not to mention the various sport/race settings that are built into sports cars or the engine mapping selection buttons on some sports bikes these days. :lol:

lol....these a oem.............
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby smythie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 am

hehe. Strange that they're not illegal then? :lol:
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:17 am

Lots of holes in the ADR guys :P

But taking this information into account, I would suggest anyone who is looking at getting a boost controller & all that jazz hides them to avoid any dramas.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby coyote » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:44 pm

coyote wrote:What do you want to achieve with the aftermarket controller?

I think you are better off letting the ecu control boost, but there may be something in particular that precludes you from doing that.

CJ1177 wrote:I know I would achieve a smoother boost response & have better control of the boost with out spiking :) this becomes more apparent with the more boost you run.

I know what you are referring to, but it is a function of the cheap OE 2 port solenoid, not the fact that the ecu is controlling boost. An upgraded solenoid will give you all those things, without having to do it with a controller separate from the ecu.

CJ1177 wrote:I can easily change the level of boost at will mostly important when you leave the car with the service dept or valet parking.

Well that's a plus for the aftermarket controller as it is hard to do with an old ecu and limited with SI Drive. Having said that, better hope the service technicians don't know how to play with the boost controller. I had an experience many years ago whereby a young Subaru dealership mechanic took my car for a thrashing with the wastegate completely disconnected.

CJ1177 wrote:or on the recent HOT days, it is most important to be able to drop the boost at will. you need the confidence that you can put your foot flat to the floor & know that its not going to ping.

Hmmm... as Boxer said, that's a big plus for letting the ecu control boost. It will automatically compensate for temperature, detect any knock and adjust multiple parameters accordingly. If you are likely to do some damage, it will limit your boost to wastegate pressure only. You lose that with an aftermarket controller.

I'm not saying aftermarket controllers are crap, they are the only solution that lets you sit the car and randomly dial up how much boost you want today, but better spool, no spiking and rock solid control at high boost does not require losing all the protection the ecu offers.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific