Upgrading the Auto MY08

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Upgrading the Auto MY08

Postby SillySora » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 am

Would like to know where and what i can do with this .
( Around Brisbane QLD )

Western Digital In Brisbane said the have i upgragde which makes it more lubed or something.

Thanks
SillySora

Car: My 08 Liberty

Re: Upgrading the Auto MY08

Postby suff » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:02 am

SillySora wrote:Would like to know where and what i can do with this .
( Around Brisbane QLD )

Western Digital In Brisbane said the have i upgragde which makes it more lubed or something.

Thanks

Pardon? Perhaps you may want to try again with that post.. Let us know how it goes ;)
Daily : BMW E90 335i Sedan
Chasing 320RWHP ... FOUND (341RWHP) + Semi Slicks
Coming - APR FMIC, APR DP & Quaiffe Diff (finally)
suff

Car: E90 335i sedan

Postby subnub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Are you after an auto service, a shift kitted/modified auto, or a higher stall on your converter? Most auto transmission shops should be able to help in any case, just make sure you know the pros and cons of what you choose :)
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby tangcla » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:27 pm

subnub wrote:Are you after an auto service, a shift kitted/modified auto, or a higher stall on your converter? Most auto transmission shops should be able to help in any case, just make sure you know the pros and cons of what you choose :)
Any idea how much something like that would cost? I've been told a few auto Legacies in Singapore run sub-10s quarters, with 300+awkw, on a rebuilt auto box.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby subnub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:39 pm

tangcla wrote:
subnub wrote:Are you after an auto service, a shift kitted/modified auto, or a higher stall on your converter? Most auto transmission shops should be able to help in any case, just make sure you know the pros and cons of what you choose :)
Any idea how much something like that would cost? I've been told a few auto Legacies in Singapore run sub-10s quarters, with 300+awkw, on a rebuilt auto box.
I don't know anyone who has done up an auto AWD vehicle! So this is based on RWD prices, where the gearbox is normally easily accessible.

A shift kit could go for anything from a few hundred dollars for a basic kit that makes the shifts harder (this can also be done cheaply with electronics in a lot of cases since computers took over the shifting), or $2-3k+ for a rebuild with stronger internals to handle bulk grunt and/or frequent hard driving. The sky's the limit though depending on how silly you want to go. MV Automatics in Adelaide have a very good name in the auto business.

For completeness, a basic service on the auto would involve changing the fluid, pan gasket and filter... price would probably be sub $100, it's usually an easy DIY job. A higher stally would go for around the $500 mark I'd say, add a few hundred if you pay for installation of course (gearbox in/out, similar deal to changing a clutch). Not sure if it'd mess with electronics (ECU might pick it as an error condition or it might refuse to lock up for example) but mechanically it's a very simple change.

A decent trans cooler is a must too.
subnub

Postby SillySora » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 am

How much power can the auto handle you think
SillySora

Postby tangcla » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 am

SillySora wrote:How much power can the auto handle you think

Is yours the GT? I believe the 5-speed (Prodrive built? or engineered?) boxes are good for 220-240awkw.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby swingn » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:59 am

I would say upgrading / rebuilding an auto would be a bit more then 2-3K. Especially if you were strengthening the box as well.

But I'll be more then happy to be wrong mind you as it is something I'm going to look at doing in the not too distant future :D

A quick shifter they use in drag cars generally goes for around 4k + install.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby subnub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 am

swingn wrote:I would say upgrading / rebuilding an auto would be a bit more then 2-3K. Especially if you were strengthening the box as well.

But I'll be more then happy to be wrong mind you as it is something I'm going to look at doing in the not too distant future :D

A quick shifter they use in drag cars generally goes for around 4k + install.
Yeah I should have made it clearer lol

$2-3k+ means it would start at 2-3k. That would probably cover a good quality stockish rebuild, you can spend well into 5 figures on a trans without really trying.
subnub

Postby swingn » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:48 pm

I would've thought it would be even more expensive then 5K.

A mate of mine spent about 8K on rebuilding a manual box with strengthened bits & pieces on his WRX.

I would've thought the auto boxes were more complicated & therefore would be at an even higher cost.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby SillySora » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 am

Yeah think i'm going to get a shift kit rather spend the money on a something else.
SillySora

Postby subnub » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 pm

swingn wrote:I would've thought it would be even more expensive then 5K.

A mate of mine spent about 8K on rebuilding a manual box with strengthened bits & pieces on his WRX.

I would've thought the auto boxes were more complicated & therefore would be at an even higher cost.
Yeah I said 5 figures, ie $10,000 :) It's very easy to spend that on a gearbox, double or triple that if you're getting serious
subnub

Postby suff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:16 pm

tangcla wrote:

saw one of these said cars at a show yesterday in Spore.. very very nice.. wasnt say what mod's he had done though.. Dyno was showing 290something ATW
Daily : BMW E90 335i Sedan
Chasing 320RWHP ... FOUND (341RWHP) + Semi Slicks
Coming - APR FMIC, APR DP & Quaiffe Diff (finally)
suff

Car: E90 335i sedan

Return to 2.5T engine specific