Turbo Timer

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Turbo Timer

Postby SillySora » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:13 am

Hey guys Pretty new on this site.

Got a MY08 Spec B

The Trouble i am having is when ever i use my turbo timer and then go to use the car again my dash computer goes berserk flashing lights ect.

Can't use Cruise Control or switch it into sports sharp mode.
But i turn the car on off ect a few times or hours and will work as per usually.

So atm i'm not using it and would like to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Cheers Guys...
SillySora

Car: My 08 Liberty

Postby tangcla » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:06 am

First question is, why do you want a turbo timer? All Subarus post 2000 don't require a turbo timer for the turbo to cool down as it is water cooled (and the water continues flowing) even when the car is off.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby WhiteGTB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 am

Hey Silly SORA - Intro buddy :)

and Welcome.
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby GTSPECB STI » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:00 am

Welcome Silly Sora

As mentioned you dont need a turbo timer so ditch it and your problem is solved.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby gtspec » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 am

tangcla wrote:First question is, why do you want a turbo timer? All Subarus post 2000 don't require a turbo timer for the turbo to cool down as it is water cooled (and the water continues flowing) even when the car is off.

there water cooled? really??????

i thought if u have a water cooler for the turbo there is no need for the TMIC? or am i wrong lol
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Re: Turbo Timer

Postby Arith » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:21 am

SillySora wrote:The Trouble i am having is when ever i use my turbo timer and then go to use the car again my dash computer goes berserk flashing lights ect.

Can't use Cruise Control or switch it into sports sharp mode.
But i turn the car on off ect a few times or hours and will work as per usually.

Hey Silly, welcome to the site! Firstly, congrats on owning an MY08! Nice.

Secondly, can you let us know who installed the turbo timer for you? Considering installing just a turbo timer and cruise control and the in-dash computer goes nuts means quite a dodgy install job and if it's a shop it should be avoided.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby smythie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am

gtspec wrote:
tangcla wrote:First question is, why do you want a turbo timer? All Subarus post 2000 don't require a turbo timer for the turbo to cool down as it is water cooled (and the water continues flowing) even when the car is off.

there water cooled? really??????

i thought if u have a water cooler for the turbo there is no need for the TMIC? or am i wrong lol

The intercooler is there to cool/absorb heat from the compressed intake air. Water cooling for a turbo would be used to keep temperatures on the exhaust turbine side down in order to prevent overheating of the turbine and housing components. Well at least that is my understanding

In short, yes, the intercooler (whether top mount or front mount) is certainly beneficial
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Roddez » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:46 am

gtspec wrote:i thought if u have a water cooler for the turbo there is no need for the TMIC? or am i wrong lol

There is a big difference in the water cooling of the turbo housing/bearings and intercooling the air. I understand that the turbo has a water jacket which I would assume is connected to the engine cooling system. When you turn off the engine, the water pump stops, but the heat of the turbo, and the engine can result in coolant continuing to circulate for some time. The water jacket also helps to maintain thermal stabilisation - ie reduces shock cooling. The older cars didn't have this and when you shut down the engine, there could be issues with shock cooling and also heat soaking of any oil still in the bearings.

Just ask any pilot about shock cooling of air cooled engines....

An intercooler is a heat exchanger. Some use air, some use fluid. I believe that some of the older Legacy turbos used an air to fluid intercooler. The new models use air to air. They all have their pros and cons and I'm sure there was logic for changing.

As per usual, I don't guarantee the accuracy of anything have written, but I hope it helps.
MY07 Liberty GT-B (Manual)
Roddez
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B

Postby SillySora » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey thanks guys i think it is a simple forward thing as you said.

Fair enought about the Turbo , going to get a avo one soon anyways.

It was Mercuary but they are pretty good too me and the seem to know a bit. So the Turbo Timer shouldn't be a Drama Anyways. But Just get them to check it out again.
SillySora

Postby sundayDriver » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm

It also helps if you give the engine a chance to cool down. ie. don't fang it for the last 5min of your drive.
sundayDriver

Postby GTwagon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 am

Hey SillySora,

The issues you are having are because the turbo timer is only connected to one of the two power circuits. When the timer starts it needs to power both of these power circuits otherwise the computer cracks it. Hope this helps.
GTwagon

Postby SillySora » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks heaps man will check out soon enough.
SillySora

Postby gtspec » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for explaining the water cooling and intercooler difference to me, much appreciated
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Return to 2.5T engine specific