GrimmSpeed introduces the External Wastegate Up Pipe with 44

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

GrimmSpeed introduces the External Wastegate Up Pipe with 44

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:36 pm

ok what do you guys think about this new product?
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101730

WHAT IS IT?
An external wastegate allows the exhaust gases to be diverted prior to entering the turbo. Dumping the exhaust gas prior to the turbo helps with boost control, maintains boost longer in the rpm range, and extends the life of your turbo. Our pipe is fully built stainless steel EWG Up pipe and stainless steel dump tube for turbo Subarus. Monster thick SS flanges. New on our pipes for this product release...CNC cut flanges for closer tolerances! We have added a flex section which extends the life of the product and will lead to less exhaust leaks
because the pipe can flex vs. warping the flanges in a non-flex setup(inturn creating leaks).
Also new for this product release is the added support underneath the side-outlet. We haven't had issues in the past with cracking, but we just want to make sure it stays that way! Just another way we keep going above and beyond for you!
WHY DO YOU NEED IT?
Reason for switching to an EWG setup includes:
Quicker turbo spool by allowing the exhaust gas to exit pre-turbo. There is alot of turbulence in the stock turbo at the internal wastegate so by moving the wastegate out of the turbo you get rid of this nasty turbulence thus improving the effiecency of the turbo as well.
More efficient wastegate design that has a bigger diameter than stock allowing for the exhaust gas to be released quicker.
Hold peak boost longer. This allows you to run a lower peak boost and increase HP at the same time.
Much larger than the stock internal wastegate
No more boost creep...EVER!
GAINS?
Users should expect gains in the 15-40hp range when tuned for the EWG setup.

Another unique aspect of our package is that we include a bracket that holds your stock internal wastegate shut. This is great because you will no longer have to weld your turbo door shut which means you have no chance for leaks and you can revert back to stock anytime you want with no hassle.
FITMENT
02-08 WRX
04-08 STi
05-08 LGT
05-08 FXT
93-01 Turbo Subarus

PACKAGE CONTENTS
44mm V-Band EWG Up Pipe
Dump Tube
Area1320 Bracket to hold stock wastegate closed(no more welding!)
5 Studs for Up Pipe
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby tangcla » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:02 pm

I don't think it'll make much difference unless you change to a larger turbo.

I could be wrong.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby PRO20B » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Interesting idea.

Will it fit AUS models?

It looks good, but the placement of the wastegate is very poor in this design though.

Cheers
Daniel
MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi Pearl White Sedan 6MT #080/250

RIP - MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi OBP Sedan 6MT #092/250
PRO20B

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:21 pm

tangcla wrote:I don't think it'll make much difference unless you change to a larger turbo.

I could be wrong.

exactly :D
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby adam » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 pm

gosh, that's puurty though!
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby T-REXX » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:27 pm

it actually is a good fit.. and if u look at the APS style up pipe its in a Similar position.. Only problem you may have is the darn Steering Knuckle... replace that with the STI impreza 06 model and i think it will be a good mod.. a 500hp turbo will work with this well and also a good chance to change the turbo to a Twin Scroll set up, but a FMIC wil be needed.. ***gough cough Arith cough cough***
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Return to 2.5T engine specific