MY07 Liberty GT Stock Dump Pipe Picture

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

MY07 Liberty GT Stock Dump Pipe Picture

Postby GTSPECB STI » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:38 am

Thought I would post this picture so you can see what the stock dump pipe looks like. Its bloody heavy and fairly restrictive as you can imagine. I managed to get rid of it to another member here who has some plans for it and I am happy to be rid of it.

MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Spec B Wgn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:08 pm

you should show us the opening of the dump pipe to see the restrictor plate
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby subnub » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Holy moly

Judging by the pic it looks like the wastegate exit on the back of the turbo basically hits a wall, has to turn 90°, then has to join the main exhaust gas at right angles??

And what's this about a restrictor plate? It sounds like a nice cheap mod if the rest of the dump flows okay? It won't fix the wastegate restriction if the above is correct but it might help a bit.
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby coyote » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:42 pm

subnub wrote:Judging by the pic it looks like the wastegate exit on the back of the turbo basically hits a wall, has to turn 90°, then has to join the main exhaust gas at right angles??

Welcome to Subaru ownership Marc, that's their standard design.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby adam » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:33 pm

subnub wrote:Holy moly
Judging by the pic it looks like the wastegate exit on the back of the turbo basically hits a wall, has to turn 90°, then has to join the main exhaust gas at right angles??

thats one question i was scared to ask due to a lack of mechanical knowledge when that whole argument about splitters and wastegates and messing up gas flow because it had to some how combine with other gas flow was happening.......
serious question for those with the knowhow, could anything be worse than this?
pretty sure pic by jimboliscious
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby subnub » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:51 am

Wow!

I'm no engineer but my understanding is that it's not just that it joins the main flow at right angles, it's also that it does so at an extremely reduced gas velocity. Think about a car trying to merge onto a 100km/h highway at 10km/h. That design would basically kill all gas velocity out of the wastegate port, and cause huge turbulence in the main exhaust flow, and would most likely cause issues with boost control because it may not be able to bleed off excess exhaust gas consistently. While the wastegate is shut it may even work better than having a large common exhaust/wastegate area (thanks to high velocity exhaust gases creating a vacuum in the area behind the closed wastegate, that's my theory anyway) but it's certainly going to hurt it at WOT.

Maybe it's done to control boost spiking, reduce noise, or to keep the emissions cardigans happy I don't know, but in terms of getting the exhaust gases away from the engine, it's hard to imagine a much worse way of doing it short of bolting a flat piece of plate to the back of the turbo.

No wonder the aftermarket dumps give such an enormous improvement to power and driveability!
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:06 am

subnub wrote:No wonder the aftermarket dumps give such an enormous improvement to power and driveability!

But don't the aftermarket ones have to be more or less the same shape to fit?
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby Gonads » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:03 am

AndrewCowley wrote:
subnub wrote:No wonder the aftermarket dumps give such an enormous improvement to power and driveability!

But don't the aftermarket ones have to be more or less the same shape to fit?

Nope. There is plenty of room in there for a nice smooth tapered collector.

This dump pipe design is exactly the same as what Subaru have been fitting to WRX/STi/RS since late 1980s. You'd think that by now they would have learned. It's bad enough in cars that have the wastegate flapper directing the gas flow across into the turbine outlet but I'd imagine it would be even worse with turbos like the Liberty where the flapper directs the gas flow directly into the flat plate.

To their credit, Subaru got it right briefly with the collector from the twin-scroll Liberty GT.

Cheers,
Ben
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Gonads

Postby T-REXX » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:10 pm

unfortunatly with the Libertys the Bellmouth once again has to be specailly made for the Aussie Spec Libs. Libs run into the same problem as the WRXs.

WRXs and the Libs share the same steering knuckle which is larger then the STi WRX ones. so if u use a cast head like the Invidia or a COBB Tuning down pipe the Dump will fit up no worries at all but soon as load is put on the engine whilst turning a corner the knuckle WILL hit the Dump pipe.

Here is a design that is best suited to the Libertys/WRX

The one on the left is the conventional Down Pipe from USA with CAST head
The one on the Right is the one used for Aus Spec cars .. Toemi Also use a similar design head on their Twin Scrol Down pipe.. I beleive the HKS, SARD and ZEROSPORTS also use this design..

Troy
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Return to 2.5T engine specific