About to buy a MY07 Spec B wagon

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: About to buy a MY07 Spec B wagon

Postby Yowie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:35 pm

But that's my heart talking and my head is saying you don't need something that expensive, just wait and see what the market does. Maybe I'll just get an outback from the same year and eventually put some turbo on it......

Good plan to wait and watch - you have the time. I just checked car sales for the usual hot wagons I look at and things have gotten a bit rare and expensive at the moment!

I probably wouldn't get an Outback with plans to turbo it. An R&D project like that is going to be more money/delay/muck-around than getting a factory turbo car.

Funny you should mention the Outback though. back at my decision point I considered the Outback option and my very astute wife correctly pointed out I wouldn't be happy with a non-turbo car due to the lack of easy tuning/tinkering. She was bang-on. Obviously your requirements differ from mine, so grain of salt etc.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Re: About to buy a MY07 Spec B wagon

Postby Stifull » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:57 am

If you are insisting on buying a "quick" one you have to be careful where that quickness comes from !! Some people care more about "quickness" than they do about longevity of the engine .. You need to see the dyno sheet showing how much boost it is taking to make it soo quick.. There are people out there who are happy to gain that power by running high boost levels, that is one of the reasons you have to sign a "declaration" so if it goes bang on the rollers, it's not their fault. We have several "quick" Subarus .. our 99 sti makes 204 kwts and it is quick, 0-100 in 4.2 sec ... but the good thing is it makes that on only 15lb of boost.. it has forged internals and could easily be wound out to 20+ psi and make 240+kwt but it probably would not have lasted the 10 years since it was built. My 98 wrx and 07 Lib GT both make 180 on 16lb.. I also was looking for a quick Liberty when I decided I wanted something a little bit more modern, luxurious and safer for me and my passengers. My wrx has NO airbags and that was always playing on my mind because I usually drive like I just stole it.. LOL.. I looked at several "quick" lib gts but they were all built to be fast but not to last. I spoke to the boys at Subievo and they agreed with my thoughts of buying one that was in awesome condition but basically stock and then do to it what I had done to my rex.. that is, buy a really nice, well looked after one then slowly gather all the goodies to make it "quick". That's what I ended up doing and I am so glad I chose that path. This is the power upgrade thread in case you are interested in achieving your goal and can be patient... Good Luck finding a good one.. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36846
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific