End play in a VF52 ...how to resolve on a budget..

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

End play in a VF52 ...how to resolve on a budget..

Postby Stifull » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:11 am

It looks like I may be getting a vf52 from a friend. It has no side play but it has end play...back and forward.. What is the best way to get that sorted .. I contacted Kinugawa but they don't do cartridges for vf 52... There is rebuild kits available with bearings(bushes) etc. Is that the best way to go and as long as it is carefully marked before dismantling to keep it balanced, is it a home workshop job.

Also does anyone have a suitable bell mouth or divorced downpipe ??? Cheers....

PS.. good to see the site working again..
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Re: End play in a VF52 ...how to resolve on a budget..

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:43 am

Some play in a journal bearing turbo, especially one without oil in it is normal.

Any turbo rebuilder will have an idea of the exact spec, but if the compressor and or turbine blades aren’t touching the housing, you should be golden.

If in doubt, contact your local rebuilder to get a quote on a VSR test.(vibration sorting rig).
For upgrades to this turbo local to you, try Rose Rage Turbos in Landsborough, SEQ sunny coast hinterlands.

A full fruit upgrade runs around $1200.

Also check if your vf52 exhaust housing is cracked around the wastegate port, its apparently not fatal depending on the severity, if any.

AVO make interchangeable bell mouths for lgt ts, jdm sti ts and single scroll subaru turbos.

Otherwise try Ebay for subaru single scroll dump flanges and bell mouths.

Divorced downpipes: do some research because some stock turbos have an issue where the wastegate flapper will hit the divorce plate in the bell mouth, requiring it to be cut out or clearanced for full movement through its arc.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Stifull » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:46 am

Thanks for your informative reply. I shall contact Rose Rage and have a chat. They may have something to sort the down pipe issue. I am familiar with the divorced downpipes we have them on both rexs and the sti.. The one in the sti has started occasionally rattling against the steering column.. We need to take the pipe off and give it a friendly tap.. It will have to wait for 3-4 months as it headed down to Thredbo for this years season.. My son has just spent almost $8k on it.. New front brakes, new timing belt, new tyres and new fog lights with protective mesh covers and replace the 32" light bar on the roof with a new brighter one. Stis have the sti covers on the front but behind the covers there is no fog lights.. They also dont come with the fog light switch and the relay although the hardest part, the wiring loom to the fogs is all there. We took the switch and relay out of mine and put it in and it all worked. I never use my fog lights and there is sti covers over them anyway. A friend sent a pair over from Japan the early model Sti covers are extremely rare here..He also got rid of the Apexi Power FC and had it replaced with a LINK system. Much more user friendly and he has the software on his laptop to read and get rid of codes and can also, if yhe replaces the fuel lines run 85 without any issues. It is now making 204 kw on 15 lb. It is a 2.5 with forged internals so it could make a lot more but is does 0-100 in 4.2 seconds so it's not a slouch and the torque is amazing. I have the same engine in my rex but I have a better turbo.

Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby Stifull » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 am

I spoke to the workshop yesterday and they said they wouldn't use this turbo. I was rebuilt a while ago and it feels like who ever did it left something out. There is no sideplay at all and it looks an almost new turbo but the shaft has a LOT of back and forward play. I think I will pass and keep looking in the meantime I am off to pick up a S/steel Megan Racing downpipe..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby Yowie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:05 pm

You might have dodged a bullet.

I bought a "rebuilt" VF46, only to have it start screaming and need more work at the proper rebuild shop.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Stifull » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Yes that is the same sort of thing the boys at Subi Evo said about this turbo.. I got at least one step closer to getting the Liberty going a little better with this Megan Racing s/s downpipe from the US.. Beautifully made. It came of a 2013 wrx that had a VF52 fitted so it is good to go .. Just need turbo and a tune... Only been waiting two years so it won't be long now ...LOL...

Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Send the dead vf52 to Pavel Engines in the states maybe.
https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_pe ... k1NDkzNDYx
bigBADbenny

Postby Stifull » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:59 pm

Thanks Ben for the suggestion but freight from the US back to Aus always seems very expensive and there must be a good 2nd hand one available at the right price if I take my time. I have decided to try and do to the Lib what I did to my Rex and that is to collect all the components I need to get it performing to an acceptable level then get it all fitted at once and tuned. I am therefore also looking for Silicone intake piping as well as CAI. A silicone "Y" pipe ( I assume the Lib has that.. LOL.). I need to take the plastic cover off againg and familiarize myself with things under there. At the moment I have no idea which ones I should be looking for.. Could someone please give my a link to the correct parts for my model on ebay or what ever so I at least know what I am looking for. I believe the lib gt 2.5 has the same setup as the 08-13 wrx and the same year in the forester.. Anyone has the bits I need lying around, feel free to pm me with a price. I had a look on ebay but the parts that are supposedly for my model looked different from one another.
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby subyroo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:12 pm

I know absolutely nothing about Turbo's other than that they make cars go faster, chew fuel and get extremely hot. :lol:
So some of the links below maybe on no use whatsoever to you.

There is a VF52 on Gumtree for $700
Note the bold text by me: IHI VF52 Turbo in very good condition.
I bought this to put on my 2011 Forester to upgrade the TD04 but never got around to it.
No shaft play and no wear on the turbine wheel.
The crack on the wastegate happens to all of them. Doesn't affect the performance.
Came off a 2012 WRX with 80,000kms on it.

Some others, don't know what your budget is?
https://www.turbochargersplus.com/turbochargers-subaru-impreza-wrx-vf52-14411-aa800-billet-impeller-upgrade/

https://www.autopowerhouse.com.au/turbochargers-by-vehicle/subaru/impreza-wrx/subaru-wrx-outback-liberty-turbocharger-re-cond-2008-2015-2.5l-ej25-eng.-14411-aa800-vf52/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224117428364?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=705-53470-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

https://www.speedupautoparts.com.au/products/vf52-ceramic-turbo-for-subaru-wrx-ej255-my08-my14-14411-aa800

https://www.speedupautoparts.com.au/pages/turbocharger-reconditioning
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby Stifull » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks Pedro for your effort with all the links.. I fear that most of the "new" turbos on ebay are probably chinese and would be reluctant to use one because of the potential disaster that can happen if a turbo fails and I know from a 4wd club that I am in that Chinese turbos do not have the best balancing/testing and have friends who sent their new chinese turbos off to get balanced and found that they were out of balance enough to be of concern. The exchange ones are the most appealing to me because in theory they should last a long time. The $700 on on Gumtree would be ok if it genuinely only had 80klm except I am not happy about the crack going across to the wastegate exit. Surely that can't be good and will only get worse. I have spoken to Nigel at Rose Rage turbos and he has a couple of options one for a complete exchange and the other repairing and upgrading the current unit for $1300. Not sure what the "upgrade' entails. I saw on Mighty car mods where they used a 2nd hand modified VF34 that had been on an 09 2.5 forester. That would be a good option as they are a roller bearing turbo with a good reputation..
Further research tells me this model 2.5 doesn't have a "Y" pipe as the IC bolts straight onto the turbo. That would I explain why i haven't been able to find one for that model on ebay etc. So I will widen my search to include a modded VF34. If one person has done that there is probably more. Thanks again for the help..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby Yowie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:07 pm

So I will widen my search to include a modded VF34

Good luck. I've been hunting that mythical beast for years without success. I think MRT Performance might have built them (but kept their cards close to their chest about the fact that is was a VF34 with a flanged compressor housing).
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Stifull » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 pm

Yes whoever did the conversion to suit the 08s etc, ground off the VF34 and all the other serial numbers. Seems like strange behavior. Imagine how many of those they could have sold . Not sure how they compare with a VF52 but they certainly are a popular option for wrxs, but they are mostly 2 ltr so not sure how they would be on a 2.5 .. I joined the Foz club tonight so I can see if there is anything suitable on there for sale.
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby subyroo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 am

Stifull wrote:Thanks Pedro for your effort with all the links.. I fear that most of the "new" turbos on ebay are probably chinese and would be reluctant to use one because of the potential disaster that can happen if a turbo fails and I know from a 4wd club that I am in that Chinese turbos do not have the best balancing/testing and have friends who sent their new chinese turbos off to get balanced and found that they were out of balance enough to be of concern. The exchange ones are the most appealing to me because in theory they should last a long time. The $700 on on Gumtree would be ok if it genuinely only had 80klm except I am not happy about the crack going across to the wastegate exit. Surely that can't be good and will only get worse. I have spoken to Nigel at Rose Rage turbos and he has a couple of options one for a complete exchange and the other repairing and upgrading the current unit for $1300. Not sure what the "upgrade' entails. I saw on Mighty car mods where they used a 2nd hand modified VF34 that had been on an 09 2.5 forester. That would be a good option as they are a roller bearing turbo with a good reputation..
Further research tells me this model 2.5 doesn't have a "Y" pipe as the IC bolts straight onto the turbo. That would I explain why i haven't been able to find one for that model on ebay etc. So I will widen my search to include a modded VF34. If one person has done that there is probably more. Thanks again for the help..

The $700 on on Gumtree would be ok if it genuinely only had 80klm except I am not happy about the crack going across to the wastegate exit. Surely that can't be good and will only get worse.

I too would be worried about it, in fact anything with a crack is never good news.

No problem with the searching, happy to help out if I can. I am Retired too. :clapping:
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:12 pm

I wouldn’t be worried about it.
Its a good foil for lowballing though ;)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=does ... ent=safari

Since its common and lots of vf52 are in service, its not an issue seen to cause actual problems, eg lost boost or leaks.
bigBADbenny

Postby subyroo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:20 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:I wouldn’t be worried about it.
Its a good foil for lowballing though ;)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=does ... ent=safari

Since its common and lots of vf52 are in service, its not an issue seen to cause actual problems, eg lost boost or leaks.

A lot of people on various sites agree with you bBb, apparently it's an inherent fault with the VF turbo.

Nearly all the P18 housing VFs have the characteristic wastegate crack. 99% of the time, the crack is only cosmetic and does not affect the performance of the turbo.

Like I said earlier I know nothing about turbo's, my last dabble with the actual mechanics's of a car were the cam belt and the crank angle sensor on my 1986 VL Commodore. :oops: I haven't tinkered with a car since I bought my 1st Subaru in 2000.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
subyroo

Return to 2.5T engine specific