Will worn centre diff wear other driveline components?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Will worn centre diff wear other driveline components?

Postby TFish » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi all,

I have a 6spd manuel 2007 2.5T Lib GT-B with around 250,000klms on the clock, a road tune, front strut bar, a couple of whiteline bushes and subwoofer replacement as mods.

The centre diff is definitely having issues (low speed lumpiness with driveshafts, bearings, bushes, tyres, etc being not the problem, Docklands Subaru also diagnosed the issue as the centre diff) and I'm starting an autocross season and it's my daily driver for work purposes.

t's an economical car for me and I'm not precious about giving it a hard time or getting to the point that I don't need to try to fix the car any more.

I got it at a good price and can either spend money on it to keep it going or shred it to pieces and it wouldn't bother me. I just can't justifying upgrading to something better because it's just sooo good as it is even compared to newer wrx/sti models imho, so if I used it up I wouldn't be sad and ready to move on but not until either something better comes along or it shits the bed. The dirt autocross circuit will give it a harder time for about 1 min x 6 times once a month.

My question is whether it's ok to wear the centre diff out further before replacement given I expect to replace the clutch and centre diff reasonably soon (say in the next 6 months). I've been driving it with the worn centre diff for probably 20-40,000klms at this stage and so I'm a bit used to it. Would this be wearing or risking other components? My daily driving could be up to 1000klms/wk and include travel from Melb out to Bendigo and back/highway driving or just around the corner/city driving.

The rear diff appears to be in good condition just based on the oil changes and no symptoms. The gearbox works well although there is some synchro wear evident. I had docklands Subaru STi workshop look over the car and change the valve cover gaskets and timing kit and a few other things so it's fairly well serviced. I hooked up at 6.5k rpm today for an on-ramp drag off with an XR8 and used the road tune's flat shifting (lol, he was upset). It's been working flawlessly like this since I bought it. I feel like the clutch is too old and happy to replace it but it's not worn yet. Only problem I've had was overheating when it would allow extra revs under medium load after abusing it but after cooling down it works like normal again.

One other issue is that the climate control works but the display is now blank after years of service. I've pulled out the stereo/dash and checked the immediate wiring and no issues, splits, etc. all very robust factory wiring there which I haven't dug in to.

Thanks for reading!
TFish

Car: 2007 Liberty GT B Spec

Re: Will worn centre diff wear other driveline components?

Postby BillyCorgi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am

Come on, spend the money on the car.
A CorgiWerx refurbished Centre Diff is not that expensive.

If the centre differential is already "lumpy" then it is already worn-out; dickered, end of life.
Further agrevated driving will only do damage to the centre diff and possibly cost you a core charge if you do go the CorgiWerx replacement route.

CorgiWerx
The Suabru Centre Differential Experts
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby TFish » Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 am

Looking for a new clutch and lightened flywheel now as I can definitely hear thrust bearing noise. It has also slipped sometimes when very hot (like 3 or 4 6000rpm+ launches). The clutch itself would probably last a bit longer but I wanted to get a lightened flywheel and centre diff replaced anyway.

I noticed my previous go-to Aussie racing clutch manufacturer seems to have gone out of business. The name is on the tip of my tongue but can't find it on the web.

I'm not looking to save money on a cheaper/inferior clutch. Along with OEM, I can see Exedy, Xtreme and Mantic. Repco also have Clutch Industries.

I knew Exedy and Xtreme as being cheaper clutches but unsure if this is still the case.

What's a premium but not crazy racing spec clutch kit you would recommend?

The car is used for autocross and that's the main focus. I do have to daily drive it also so don't want to go too full on with the firm pedal.

TIA!
TFish

Car: 2007 Liberty GT B Spec

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Mantic should be off the list due to non existent quality control, eg not if but when.

Jim Berry custom uses Sachs components iirc, custom pivot.

HKS LA via G88

Orc

Excedy direct etc.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.5T engine specific