Auto Issues | '07 GT-B | Various noises and issues

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Auto Issues | '07 GT-B | Various noises and issues

Postby joliek » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:59 am

Goodmorning all,

I've recently just picked up an Auto Wagon and after a trip to the end of the street and back, I've concluded she's rooted.
I'm seeking some professional (or not , if you've experienced these issues I'd love to know) opinion on some issues I have.

Issues
First off,
I've noticed that my Park (P) is grinding when putting the lever into it and if the car is off, it doesn't grab at all - car rolls (shouldn't be normal?)

Secondly,
Drive (D) and Reverse (R) don't appear to grab at all after about 10s of the motor running.
e.g. When I first start the car and put it in D, it'll grab and the car will start moving. After a while of running, once put into D it will roll backwards (if on a slope) and after some rev's it "might" grab.
Will also add on that at this point, of only 30s of the car running, I have the AT OIL TEMP light flashing at me

With all this I code a code P0720 and P0700:
P0720 - Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction

Theory
Initial theory : The P grinding shouldn't happen at all... correct? - P shouldn't have any kind of spin as the Rear Driveshaft should be stationery with the car...
So initially we thought it might be that something has happened to the Rear Driveshaft, which is causing the P grind sound.
With this theory it would explain why it feels like the gears aren't grabbing - I remember in the past dropping the rear drive shaft in my dads car after the viscus rooted itself and it behaved a similar way.

Any input or theories would be amazing.

Thank you all!
I purchased an auto and thought I could just through in my 6sp ... I didn't realise it was CAN-BUS .. R.I.P
joliek

Car: '07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: joliek

Re: Auto Issues | '07 GT-B | Various noises and issues

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm

Link in my signature has links to your car’s FSM.
Find a postfl FSM, my07-my09, find/search the cel/dtc codes in the transmission section for the diagnostic procedures.

Chances are the box is available in a few different models so read the diy parts faq link in my signature for info on how to find an affordable replacement if required.

Also use the google this forum link with your cel codes as keywords to see if anyone has had the same issues :)
And do ask if anything is unclear to you.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby joliek » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Hey Benny,

Thank you so much for this information. Will defiantly come in handy later down the line.

I was able to find the issues after tearing it down a bit and discovering the top part of my Drive Shaft sheered clean off in my Transaxle.
Fun times.. Threw in a CV I had spare, dropped the oil and freshened and she's running good now.
I purchased an auto and thought I could just through in my 6sp ... I didn't realise it was CAN-BUS .. R.I.P
joliek

Car: '07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: joliek

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:38 am

Niiiiice! :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.5T engine specific