Loud whining sound on acceleration

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Loud whining sound on acceleration

Postby Ferdimage » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Posted this on the FB group, but wasnt sure if everyone here used FB, so I thought I'll post my issue on the forum.

Had this noise since I bought the car (185,000kms) and became more audible when I installed a new dump pipe, I noticed its louder between 2k to 4k rpm
Matt remote tuned the car to suit the DP but said there's a possible boost/vacuum leak going by the Learning View data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hu2oDbAIqg

Things I have done last few days and cant find a boost leak:
-Installed AVO silicone Turbo/Maf/TB hoses
-Rechecked and zip tied vacuum hoses front and back of the intake manifold.
-Installed an aftermarket BOV - plumb back
-Re tightened all 10mm bolts on the intake manifold

Things that might need checking:
-Replace TMIC
-Check Headers/Up-pipe for leaks

Is there anything else you guys can recommend me to look at - I really hope its not my turbo dying. (here is a pic of the turbo with the flash on before the inlet install - minimal horizontal & vertical shaft play)
https://imgur.com/a/DU4t7UQ

Thanks
Ferdimage

Car: 2007 GT-B wagon

Re: Loud whining sound on acceleration

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Yep.
Have a mate rev the car to zero boost whilst spraying the tmic, bov, tb with soapy water.
Use an inspection torch & mirror, and listen for hissing.

With the car not running, pressure test the inlet post maf with smoke or bubbles.
Target all hoses, inc inlet, tmic, tb, fuel pressure ref hose on the left rear inlet mani runner, fuel purge solenoid and ebcs, in order going clockwise around the engine bay.

This last is as simple as blocking the inlet sfb post maf with a honey jar lid, removing the bov ref hose at the bov end, and blowing cigar smoke into it, or make a YouTube vid smoke checker, any pressure source will suffice, initially regulated to 1psi. :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Soapy water spray also works on the exhaust flanges, but obviously on cold starts, in a well ventilated area.
Let the exhaust cool off before test sessions, or look for deposited carbon where it shouldn’t be.
bigBADbenny

Postby Ferdimage » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you BBB, I will try all you have suggested, never smoked a cigar so maybe those vape pens might be the go haha.

Got hold of another stock tmic so I'll recheck all my hoses before putting the replacement on.

I'll post an update how I go today.
Ferdimage

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 am

Go easy on the turbo-tmic bolts, steel bolt just over finger tight eg nipped.

I diy the tmic & bov gaskets from cornflake box cardboard smeared lightly with rtv if required, gasket paper works too.
bigBADbenny

Re: Loud whining (siren) sound on acceleration

Postby Ferdimage » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Things I did which did not solve the issue.

-Free reving the car does not emulate the sound = only while driving coming onto boost.
-Checked over the vacuum lines visually and with soapy water spray around the engine = no leaks found.
-Replaced TMIC with another stock one = Looks like my previous one wasn't leaking.
-Got under the car checked and tightened dumpipe bolts and DP to midpipe flange used soap spray = no deposited carbon or leaks
-Pulled the heatshield off to inspect header gasket and header to up pipe gasket = no deposited carbon or leaks, but the header gasket looks strange is this oem?
https://imgur.com/a/fZdXrHf

-Last is the turbo (worse case), which when I bought the car the 3 weeks ago, I changed the oil straight away and only manage to drained just over 1litre of oil.
I dont know how long the previous owner drove around with low oil, could my turbo be dying?
I feel like its still making boost and pulling hard and after inspecting the turbo it had very minimal shaft play.

EDIT: Did some more research on the sound on Youtube, and it sounds more like a siren which people are commenting is a dying turbo.
Makes sense if the turbo was starved of oil. I have seen a good amount oil in the intercooler and throttlebody -and some white smoke from the exhaust if those are the indicators.
Ferdimage

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:02 pm

So you’re doing all these mods and tune etc, but you don’t have Btssm or tactrix to diy log and lv?

1litre of oil in the sump is chronically low.
The sump holds around 5l and high to low on the dipstick is equal to one litre.

When the tmic was out, did you check the pcv operation and clean or replace it?
If its blocked or sticky it can lead to crank case pressurisation, causing oil to seep past the journal bearings.

Where are you located, perhaps a local member can log n lv it for you, and properly pressure test the inlet tract.

Imho, the sound on the video is inconclusive, that is it sounds fairly normal to me.
bigBADbenny

Postby Ferdimage » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks again for the input BBB.

I have been logging via Tatrix sdcard and sending it to Matt Mcleod every other day, hes really busy but managed to adjust and tune from my LV data.
Here is yesterdays LV, only running in S mode.
I'm currently waiting for another tune update to suit the silicone intake.

The PCV appears to be blocked going by how clean the pcv breather to intake hose is for the last few days. (Do you have a part # for the pcv I will replace it asap) EDIT: I think I found it on your thread P/N 11810AA060

Im located in Ryde 2114.
Im feeling a little more hopeful if you think the sound is quite normal, there may still be a boost leak somewhere.
Attachments
20190724_130421-.jpg
PCV to intake
20190724_130421-.jpg (203.75 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
romraiderLTV_20190726-225315.png
romraiderLTV_20190726-225315.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
Ferdimage

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:16 am

Grab an iPhone compatible lavalier mic from eg jaycar and record audio from inside the engine bay remotely, you can do the turbo side and then eg the throttlebody side to get clearer audio whilst in video mode.

Just soaking & cleaning the pcv in thinners will usually work too.

If it is the turbo, used vf46 are usually $500 or less s/h, vf52 around $800.

Personally I use a little hairspray when installing silicone hoses, to lubricate and seal the interfaces, and very high quality stepless screw clamps preferably oetiker, from eg Aircraft Spruce.

So in the pic, you’re pressuring via the pcv return, and the inlet post maf is blocked off?
Or is that your current pcv return setup? Generally if clear hose is used long term, get the type with spiral wire reinforcement.

You fpr vac ref hose is hooked up to the nipple at the base of the left rear inlet manifold runner?

The hose with the filter on it next to the ebcs isn’t hardened and cracked?
Its the fuel purge or map sensor iirc...

What tune strategy did Matt provide?
Is S mode around 12psi?

If at this point you’re flashing tunes more often, make sure Matt has given you the lines of log text that indicate the flash was successful, to compare to the ecu flash log.

Never key off the car if the flash wasn’t successful, just reflash the previous tune successfully, and let Matt know about the issue.

Bad flash, laptop crash, dead battery during reflashing can brick your ecu which is a major inconvenience lol.

I’ll add all this info to my various FAQ’s.
bigBADbenny

Postby Ferdimage » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Grab an iPhone compatible lavalier mic from eg jaycar and record audio from inside the engine bay remotely, you can do the turbo side and then eg the throttlebody side to get clearer audio whilst in video mode.
*This is a good tip I'll give this a go.

Just soaking & cleaning the pcv in thinners will usually work too.
*I rather replace it, is this is as simple as unscrewing it off with out taking the whole assembly out on a '07?

If it is the turbo, used vf46 are usually $500 or less s/h, vf52 around $800.
*I'll go VF46 again as is suits my driving conditions better ,I'll search once I've tried everything.

So in the pic, you’re pressuring via the pcv return, and the inlet post maf is blocked off?
Or is that your current pcv return setup? Generally if clear hose is used long term, get the type with spiral wire reinforcement.
* https://imgur.com/a/BsPhrJs I have circled where its connected on the intake as the AVO has 3 ports, the clear hose is just temporary, I will get some fuel hoses.

You fpr vac ref hose is hooked up to the nipple at the base of the left rear inlet manifold runner?
*Yes I have double checked that hose, no tears or leaks.

The hose with the filter on it next to the ebcs isn’t hardened and cracked?
Its the fuel purge or map sensor iirc...
*This hose was ok, some in the area did harden and crack when I did the silicone intake , so I replaced them.

What tune strategy did Matt provide?
Is S mode around 12psi?
*Just the basic remote tune, until we can meet up. I believe S mode is around 12-13psi from what I've read on the forums here.

If at this point you’re flashing tunes more often, make sure Matt has given you the lines of log text that indicate the flash was successful, to compare to the ecu flash log.
*Ok I'll email him and confirm

Never key off the car if the flash wasn’t successful, just reflash the previous tune successfully, and let Matt know about the issue.
*Thanks for this tip
Ferdimage

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:47 am

Yeah it’s a thing, clear oil resistant hose with spiral reinforcing wire.
So you can keep track of how much oil the breather/s are passing.

Otherwise use heater hose. It’s also reinforced, iirc.

Lesser hoses have a tendency to suck shut and or crimp when exposed to heat or vacuum.

Same with the smaller vac ref hoses, make sure any replacements are doing their job under heat and pressure. :)
bigBADbenny

Postby Ferdimage » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:25 pm

PCV valve replaced today, car is still blowing blue/white smoke while idle and accelerating.
While stationary is does smell like burnt oil.

While driving today I had a good listen to the sound next to a barrier wall, and when coming onto boost, I can hear a slight metallic grinding/rattling sound accompanied with the whining sound.
If its really the turbo dying , will it still make full boost even with that sound described above?
Ferdimage

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 am

If you use the Btssm app with your tactrix you can have virtual gauges and logging.
Just need a cheap android device with an otg adapter.
That would negate the guesswork.
As would taping a lav mic ($15) to the compressor housing and recording the sound.

I had the sound, it was my hard mounted pierburg ebcs.
I added foam to the ebcs mount which quelled the noise.

I also had it when using my aux in adapter, no music playing: it was just interference from the engine...

I’ve also temporarily run my oil super low, when a mechanic incorrectly installed my rear main seal.
I had to watch Btssm avcs vvt angles (no oil, no avcs) and refill the oil every 15 minutes till I could park the car lol. :)
bigBADbenny

Postby Ferdimage » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks BBB for recommending BTSSM, used it yesterday to log my VVT angles my banjo filters have been removed already, but they seem to be out of sync.
Cant tell which one is at fault.

I have logs here if you may be able to point me to which one is lagging. (Drivers or passengers side)?
The 2 logs are 3rd gear from 2k WOT pulls in S#
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s_1lr ... 9Fb2YHg9Gv
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VNCHG ... aHEVP9qFAc

Also picked up a VF46 today in good condition, so i'll drop that in on the weekend and see if my issues are resolved.
Ferdimage

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 pm

I’ll graph it in megalog viewer later.
As you say, it’s a bit difficult to tell looking at the raw data :)

Not tempted to just whack a mic on the turbo to get contact sound?
Even sound generally in the engine bay?

I guess you’d want to take a good look at the turbo oil supply pipe, they can kink and or leak.
bigBADbenny

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific