Grimmspeed TMIC - does it fit RHD?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Grimmspeed TMIC - does it fit RHD?

Postby JB25 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi guys,

I have been considering my options for upgrading my top mount for a while since my stocker is starting to fail - boost has been turned down to prevent it going before I get a replacement.
I have been looking at all the different options, but keep looking at the Grimmspeed unit. I know it's expensive for a TMIC, but it also appears to be the fastest/easiest to fit and time in general has been on the thin side for me recently.

My concern is though, that it may not fit on RHD due to the brake master cylinder location. It looks very tight. I tried asking Grimmspeed themselves, but all I got back was 'We don't have RHD cars in the USA', which I was a bit miffed about.
I have asked the only Australian supplier Car Mods Australia and they said they have sold 10 of these and haven't had any complaints about fitment, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Can anybody confirm these fit RHD OK? I'm yet to see any evidence either way.

Cheers, Jared
JB25

Car: MY07 GT-B

Re: Grimmspeed TMIC - does it fit RHD?

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm

I have no idea of the specifics but maybe compare the dimensional specs to the process west tmic, which is huge and does fit.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JB25 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:I have no idea of the specifics but maybe compare the dimensional specs to the process west tmic, which is huge and does fit.

The Grimmspeed unit is even bigger than the Process West
Width is 445mm vs 400
Depth is 221mm vs 198
Height is 89mm vs 90

So overall it's a wider and deeper core and then has pretty large end tanks though the inlet side is angled unlike the Process west, which may possibly then equal out.
It's just so damn close, I don't know if it will hit the master cylinder or not, and being a metal end tank rather than a hose potentially doing this, I'm trying to make sure.
JB25

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 am

Cma will sell you one, check out their feedback and or return policy.
https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/top ... 04-09.html
However for the $$$$, why not go with the proven Process West tmic?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JB25 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 pm

I have multiple reasons I'm not as keen on the Process West as the Grimmspeed after doing a fair bit of research:

1. Multiple complaints that the standard hose clamps are not up to the task and the hoses blow off. A lot of people have replaced them with T-Bolt clamps, which means more $$$
2. Issues with some BOVs hitting the bonnet due to their height, sometimes even the stock BOV. I currently have a GFB BOV which is quite tall, and don't really want to replace it unless absolutely necessary as again that would mean more $$$.
3. Difficulty removing the intercooler due to the location of mounting bolts underneath the unit. I work on my car fairly regularly so don't really want to be dealing with that every time.
4. Issues with alignment of the bonnet scoop adaptor.
5. There is no divider plate on the bonnet splitter once this is installed, you have to hack out your original one to do it. Both the Grimmspeed and factory splitters have this divider, which makes me think flow to the front part of the core is going to be sub-optimal.
6. You have to reuse your turbo outlet seal from your OEM intercooler, which for me now is 12 years old and probably should be replaced anyway.

The Grimmspeed TMIC from what I can see has none of these issues. People who have installed them in the US have had no complaints about the installation and the quality is top notch and well thought out, I know they spent a long time designing their product to make sure it was as close to perfect as possible... for LHD :P
I'm not saying the Process West is an inherently bad product, but the Grimmspeed is just that bit more polished in various ways, which makes it more appealing for me. I know it's initially more expensive, but it seems they've thought of everything for this kit. I may just have to take a punt and buy one from CMA.
JB25

Return to 2.5T engine specific