Turbo is on the way out...

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Turbo is on the way out...

Postby Adrian2627 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Stifull wrote:What sort and where do you get a tune for $400 ??????

Matt McLeod (ThrottleHappy) was one of the guys doing road tunes around the country. He did my Legacy and has done a number of people from here. He was charging $400 last time I used him, about 18months ago, but haven't seen much of him since. He uses RomRaider and a Tactrix cable to tune and did a good job with my car giving me three different maps with different boost setting as well as the supporting timing, AVCS, throttle and TCS settings.
If you want dyno tunes then be perpared to throw down $1000+ for someone who knows what they are doing.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Stifull » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Yes I know.. Matt Spry at Nerang looks after the tune on our Ver 6 STi.. He does an awesome job. My WRX is tuned by C&J Motorsports but it hasn't been tuned since I installed all the goodies about 8+ years ago.. As long as you don't keep adding stuff you only need to get them tuned once but it is expensive.. I think the Sti was $1150 ...$400 is a cheap tune that's for sure but a road tune will never give the same perfection of a dyno...Road tunes are good if you can't wait to do everything in one go eg, new exhaust, 6 months later new turbo etc. I usually just save all the goodies in a box till I have everything I intend to add and install and then get a safe tune. I drove my rex for the first time today since I bought the Liberty...Woohoo...I love that car.. :air_kiss:
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby Adrian2627 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:49 pm

If you're chasing max power then a dyno is definitely the way to go if you just want improvements in drivability road tunes are ok. In Japan pump hi-octane is 102RON compared to the 98 we have here. My imported Legacy ran ok on 98 here but with the factory JDM tune was pulling timing which isn't good for it in the long run so I had Matt tune is for our local fuel. He got it running properly, set up the iDrive and improved the auto shifting which was great value for $400.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific