Clutch replacement recommendations for MY07GTB

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Clutch replacement recommendations for MY07GTB

Postby Shaheenis » Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am

Guys,

Finally at around 140K my clutch has had enough. Noticed in S# it is slipping heaps once boost kicks in, basically free revs. No noises, just revving more than accelerating.

I have just read a number of threads talking about brands, SM versus DM and HD versus standard.

What do people recommend as the best option given the car has some mods and probably sitting around 180atw. I find the clutch a bit light and high for my liking but don't want a massive change that i will regret as i do sit in traffic a fair bit these days. In saying that I want it to grab hard and fast when I want to.

So from my reading so far the pros and cons of Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) versus Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) are as follows:

DMF

Pros: No/Minimal NVH due to inherent dampening design, less stress on gearbox and driveline components, smoother acceleration (less rattle under load conditions).
Cons: Cannot be serviced/machined, more prone to overheating, can do more damage when it fails, more expensive to replace, less/no compatibility with HD clutches

SMF
Pros: Can handle more heat so better for performance applications, can be serviced/machined, cheaper, potentially more reliable (solid steel versus layered with spring(s) etc), compatible with HD clutches
Cons: NVH/rattle through drivetrain due to engine pulsing (otherwise absorbed via DMF)

Guys what I am really looking for is feedback on how much NVH difference did you notice. Apparently this can vary a lot between vehicles in general and SMF kits from one to the next. I have read that you need to alter your driving style due to NVH when engine is labouring so you need to change gear later etc. Also interested in what combination you are running (e.g. SMF with Standard Clutch versus, DMF with HD Clutch etc).

Cheers,
Last edited by Shaheenis on Sun May 21, 2017 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Re: Clutch replacement recommendations for MY07GTB

Postby Beno » Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 am

Hi mate,

I have the same car and my clutch went at 140xxx as well. It should have a dual mass in it as mine was a dual mass. I have around 180 to 190 kw at the moment and went with another standard subaru dual mass clutch and it seems to be doing fine. It has done about 20000 klm now and cost me 1400 fitted from subaru.
Beno

Car: 07 GT-B 6mt Obp sedan

Postby 05GTLIBERTY » Sat May 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Go an extreme clutch with single mass flywheel conversion
05GTLIBERTY

Car: MY05 GT Liberty Manual

Postby andy_mac » Sat May 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Go for an Exedy HD not a whole lot of pedal firmness difference compared to stock.

Never actually tried before but what are the chances of getting a good enough look at the flywheel to tell if its single or dual through the plate steel cover on the underside of the bellhousing
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby Shaheenis » Sat May 20, 2017 7:07 pm

So from my reading so far the pros and cons of Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) versus Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) are as follows:

DMF

Pros: No/Minimal NVH due to inherent dampening design, less stress on gearbox and driveline components, smoother acceleration (less rattle under load conditions).
Cons: Cannot be serviced/machined, more prone to overheating, can do more damage when it fails, more expensive to replace, less/no compatibility with HD clutches

SMF
Pros: Can handle more heat so better for performance applications, can be serviced/machined, cheaper, potentially more reliable (solid steel versus layered with spring(s) etc), compatible with HD clutches
Cons: NVH/rattle through drivetrain due to engine pulsing (otherwise absorbed via DMF)

Guys what I am really looking for is feedback on how much NVH difference did you notice. Apparently this can vary a lot between vehicles in general and SMF kits from one to the next. I have read that you need to alter your driving style due to NVH when engine is labouring so you need to change gear later etc. Also interested in what combination you are running (e.g. SMF with Standard Clutch versus, DMF with HD Clutch etc).

Hopefully this thread will be a solid source of info for those doing a replacement in future.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Lane » Sun May 21, 2017 6:50 am

I have an 07 GT-B that has a single mass, I think from memory i gave the supplier the VIN number and they confirmed the clutch part number was correct so I ordered it, could have been luck though as I've heard people say you can't tell until you open it up?

In my experience the Liberty's are so smooth and soft anyway even with a single mass it is one of the smoothest cars I've owned and I've owned lots.

I only have a dump pipe, inlet and tune at this stage but have plans for TMIC and bigger turbo so went with Exedy heavy duty and lightened flywheel.

If you drive in lots of traffic I would stick with the standard flywheel, they are a little bit more work with the piss poor effort of the EJ255 below 2k rpm.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby Shaheenis » Sun May 21, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks Lane. When you say stick with the standard flywheel for traffic are you saying don't lighten it? Or stick with dual mass? If it is DMF then it can't be serviced so I will need to decide on replacing it with the same of SMF.

I would have thought the heavier clutch would be more the issue in traffic versus the flywheel but I guess that is why I have started this thread. I am also not sure whether you can use a HD clutch (e.g. Exedy HD) with DMF.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Lane » Mon May 22, 2017 12:24 pm

My reference was to not getting the lightened flywheel if you're often in traffic, the bigger rotating mass helps keep the engine spinning at low revs.

The pedal feel between standard and heavy duty is hardly noticeable, it does not requires much pedal effort.

In saying that it is still easy to drive, just requires a little extra concentration with slightly less room for error.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby Shaheenis » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Ok I have just spoken with a reputable Subaru mechanic in Brisbane.

My vehicle has an SMF flywheel and they recommend an NPC HD clutch. A friend has an MY08 STI WRX with this same clutch and is very happy with it and he has some mods and drives it hard so I am tempted to just go this route. Apparently the cost will be between $1500 and $1900 depending on what else needs to be replaced/serviced. That includes the clutch, machining the existing flywheel and throw out bearing. Rear seal, replacement fork etc are all the variable component based on what they find. Expensive exercise but necessary. I think the same job for a 5-spd is $1400-$1600.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Stralian » Mon May 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Ok I have just spoken with a reputable Subaru mechanic in Brisbane.

My vehicle has an SMF flywheel and they recommend an NPC HD clutch. A friend has an MY08 STI WRX with this same clutch and is very happy with it and he has some mods and drives it hard so I am tempted to just go this route. Apparently the cost will be between $1500 and $1900 depending on what else needs to be replaced/serviced. That includes the clutch, machining the existing flywheel and throw out bearing. Rear seal, replacement fork etc are all the variable component based on what they find. Expensive exercise but necessary. I think the same job for a 5-spd is $1400-$1600.

I recently got that same NPC HD clutch installed (at 140,000 as well) for 6 speed.
Compared to the old worn clutch it is really harsh between first and second.
Have to give it a bit more gas when taking off, the old one was worn and eased in real slow but this one grabs pretty quick. Took a little getting used to, same as any car I suppose.

Cost was $1900 but that included gearshift bushing replacement. If you have play in the gearshift I'd suggest getting a replacement knuckle from the Corgi.
Stralian

Car: 07 Liberty STI tuned

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks Stralian.

I have since spoken to another reputable Subaru mechanic :O and have some new advice. Firstly I have learned that no turbos came out with a DMF, they are all SMF so it is all about which clutch to get as the existing flywheel will just get machined.

Based on drive-ability being the main criteria with 180-200kw atw I have been reclommended to replace with an OEM Exedy standard clutch which will cost around $1200 all told. The HD exedy version would be roughly another $200 so $1400 or NPC HD which would be more like $1700. Apparently the NPC HD is better than Exedy but according to the mechanic noticeably heavier than standard and he doesn't think it would be a benefit.

At this stage I am looking to get the standard clutch replaced.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby crazyricochet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 pm

I'd still go the Exedy 7737HD which is the heavy duty oem replacement, it's easy to drive even in traffic and handle's my car's power alright using standard flywheel. Even have the same in my 3L wagon and it's great.

You'd hate regretting going for the stock clutch only to have it slip after giving it some.
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:09 pm

On this point has anyone experienced slipping on a newish stock clutch and if so how much power and/or torque are you making?

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby crazyricochet » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:21 am

I'd say if you have at most a vf52 on 98 power wise 220kwatw the OEM replacement will still do the job fine unless you drive like a prat and love slipping the clutch alot. (I went with the Exedy HD at this point)

If you like to be able to do some naughty driving or racing even with the above mods, go the Heavy duty replacement. It is still a single plate organic material type clutch disc, but the pressure plate has some more clamping force. It's still smooth to drive and your foot doesn't kill you while driving in traffic, best value for money/power handling clutch and does the better part of 290kwatw on my car fine with those E85 torques.

I find people become too obsessed with the "increased NVH" thing, most of the time you won't even notice a thing. If you do, you'll get used to it in a day or two.

If you are that worried the best thing to do is find a mate that already has one, go for a test drive then decide.
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby gtbsti » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm

I'll let Tom Kauf chime in about his Jim Berry clutch when he gets a chance - in the mean time here's a good read viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18447&hilit=jim+berry
gtbsti

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Tuned By STi Wagon
Profile URL: JDM Wagonist

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific